Accurate Test Results

Thanks for that. We'll give it another go and see what happens. Before today they've been we think, fairly OK - it's just now when we're expecting them to be much lower. ie zero, and they're not we're a tad confused. :S (something that's very easy where I'm concerned lol )

MW is right. Liquid color matching tests have no meaning other than your interpretation at the correct time. Always ignore a color interpretation at any other clock time. This is what the test designer has designed for.

Your confusion sounds mostly to be just another variation of needing to be patient. This is not a chemistry process. Its biological and the readings you're taking are very "second hand" from the process taking place, so things will jump around. Your job is just to make a reasonable interpretation of the color and record it in your log and then periodically study the -trends- and discuss here. A trend will mean more than any one reading.

And yes, -zero- readings, especially with the API kit will be quite clear when they happen!

~~waterdrop~~

And yes, -zero- readings, especially with the API kit will be quite clear when they happen!

~~waterdrop~~

I actually find the nutrafin to be better in this regard - ammonia and nitrite tests will show as clear water if levels are zero, which makes it easy - if you can see any colour at all, you have an issue!

But beyond that, I agree it's a pain, especially with ammonia, which goes from a light yellow to a slightly stronger yellow. I also find the colours on the card are more intense than the actual water tests, which makes readings additionally confusing.

i've always found taking the readings in natural daylight makes it much easier to decipher the colour as well. so i stand at the front door with it open and hold the card up to the sky! Doesn't work if I need to test in the evenings though :lol:

Have just done a bit of an experiment with the API kit and JBL strips. Tested the water from the Orb with the JBL which showed zero nitrite and 10 nitrate. Did the tests including ammonia with the API and got zero Ammonia(clearly zero), Nitrite again clearly zero and nitrate fairly clearly 10. :good:

I'm really pleased with how our Orb(not BiOrb) is running but it's been nice to see these readings on the API as it does show us what it will look like from the 260 in due course.

Also dipped a JBL stick into the 260 and it showed very clearly nitrite 10 ppm and nitrate at 25ppm. So again - I'm reassured by using the combination that stuff is happening where it should and that actually our readings of the API kit are OK - we just need to have more confidence in ourselves!! lol ;).

Most reactions

Back