Acclimating questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No ammonia, no nitrItes, but nitrAtes were off the charts....they still use UGFs, and never clean them, so they are filthy.....filthy filters = harbors for nitrAtes

No ammonia, no nitrItes, but nitrAtes were off the charts....they still use UGFs, and never clean them, so they are filthy.....filthy filters = harbors for nitrAtes
UGFs are under gravel filters correct?

Yay! I got it right! Now, nitrates arent the toxic bacteria right?
Nitrates aren't bacteria, they are inorganic compounds.
Low levels of nitrAtes aren't harmful to our tank critters, but high levels are...

That's another reason to9 get the fish out of the bag/store water ASAP. Nitrates will usually be much higher than in the home aquarium and the lower the better and as they are still toxic to fish the sooner the fish is out of water with higher nitrate, the better. Temprature is really the only concern, just so it is not significant. If the fish are species suited to your source/tank water, in GH, pH and temp, the sooner they are in it the better. The store water makes no difference.

That's another reason to9 get the fish out of the bag/store water ASAP. Nitrates will usually be much higher than in the home aquarium and the lower the better and as they are still toxic to fish the sooner the fish is out of water with higher nitrate, the better. Temprature is really the only concern, just so it is not significant. If the fish are species suited to your source/tank water, in GH, pH and temp, the sooner they are in it the better. The store water makes no difference.
What if I order them online?

I cant have another tank to acclimate for weeks...
No, I didn't mean to suggest that, what I mean is there is no point in trying for an hour or so to adjust the fish to new parameters as in reality it takes weeks or months for the fish to adjust. Obviously they will do this better if stress is reduced so their body functions well. We now know that soft water fish in hard water or vice versa (usually to a lesser extent) actually never adjust to the parameters (the habitat parameters are fundamental in their evolution) and it shortens their lives.

What if I order them online?
Choose a reputable retailer and bear in mind that will mean they have 'travelled significantly' as I mentioned in post #8 so it will be important to follow Slaphppy's instructions. Note that the company may instruct you (on the fish bag or in the packaging) to acclimate them but you can ignore it.

Choose a reputable retailer and bear in mind that will mean they have 'travelled significantly' as I mentioned in post #8 so it will be important to follow Slaphppy's instructions. Note that the company may instruct you (on the fish bag or in the packaging) to acclimate them but you can ignore it.
Ok so I can still do just a temperature acclimation as long as the water paremeters are not to far off

For me, it's quite simple, regardless of where your fish has come from...you want to get your fish out of that toxic soup it's been travelling in asap.
To begin, I'd turn the lights off in the tank.
I'd always float the bag to equalise the temperature and then pour the bag, over a net, into a bucket. The fish ends up in the net and goes straight into the tank.
As simple as.

I've actually trawled the internet, to find lots of videos backing my method, but then lots of absolute rubbish.

Eventually, I found these guys.
The first, from KGTropicals, is simple enough, so check it out here.
The second one takes the input from a bunch of other aquarists, so as to ge a more balanced view. You can check that one out here.

For me, it's quite simple, regardless of where your fish has come from...you want to get your fish out of that toxic soup it's been travelling in asap.
To begin, I'd turn the lights off in the tank.
I'd always float the bag to equalise the temperature and then pour the bag, over a net, into a bucket. The fish ends up in the net and goes straight into the tank.
As simple as.

I've actually trawled the internet, to find lots of videos backing my method, but then lots of absolute rubbish.

Eventually, I found these guys.
The first, from KGTropicals, is simple enough, so check it out here.
The second one takes the input from a bunch of other aquarists, so as to ge a more balanced view. You can check that one out here.
Ok! I will do that. Thanks

Most reactions

Back