About To Start A New Tank - What Fish Would Be Good.

Lord Zogat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to the board. Still debating what fish to put in my new tank.

I am currently waiting on the tank ornaments to arrived by mail. Then I will put them in and set the tank up the way I want. I have lots of paper thin shale rock for caves and hidey holes. Will have a few plastic plants and the likes.

The tank is a 20 gallon for my first one and will have to stay that way until I get my own place.

I was planning on starting with Cichlids but soon found out I would only be able to have 1 or two for that size of tank...ok thats no fun.

Then I though about getting Green Tiger Barbs, Tiger Barbs and Rosey Barbs to help cycle the tank with, but didn't realise how aggressive they were to one another. I don't want fish that are going to pick on each other by nature. I am mainly after peaceful colorful fish. So would Platies and Gouramis be a good choice to start with as well as for cycling the tank?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Hi there Lord Zogat!
I have also just set up a 20 gallon tank and havant decided on the fish for the tank. Like you, I also want colorful and peaceful fish. So Platies and Gouramis do look like a safe choice to begin with. I have been reading up on a few others and will post any useful fact and information soon. I still have to pick out the ornaments for my tank. I dont think going with real aquatic plants is a smart idea to begin the tank with. Artificial might be the way for me right now. Do post pictures!!

i started with live plants, they are a great thing to have in the tank!!! better than artificial. gourami's are famously fragile fish and are very fussy. if i was you i would start with something hardy like danio's or white clouds.

perhaps angel fish? a wonderful breed. they can recognise their owners as well :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back