About ready to give up this hobby...

I do not plan to add any more fish to this tank. I plan to get it stable for another couple of months at least, and then upgrade to a 10 gallon. If I can, I'll try to get a 15g, but not sure our space can accommodate.

At this point, I've learned well enough my tank is too small, and I've made decisions I cannot go back on, such as, undo the purchase of the molly. But, he is still small, and if I can keep my tank stable over 2+ months, it means I have learned enough to say, "Okay, I can actually do this".

So if and when he dies, I'll know it is because of past decisions (tank too small and fish too growing too big and not being in a school) finally coming home to roost, of which I'll not make those same mistakes again, and not because I cannot maintain a successful ecosystem and water changes,

Another thing...we need to know your water parameters. As a simple example, mollies must have moderately hard or harder water to function in good health. Cories on the other hand occur in soft water. While there is some adjustment for the cory, it is not going to do well at a very high level of hardness which would be ideal for a molly. The parameters involve GH (general or total hardness), pH and temperature (not all fish live well at the same temperature, in spite of being "tropical"). KH is another parameter but less of an issue here. You may be able to ascertain these levels from the website of you municipal water authority.

As for the tank size, lets sort out the parameters. There are for example many more options if the water is on the soft side, and many of these are much smaller fish, so a 10g or 15g may work well.

Another thing...we need to know your water parameters. As a simple example, mollies must have moderately hard or harder water to function in good health. Cories on the other hand occur in soft water. While there is some adjustment for the cory, it is not going to do well at a very high level of hardness which would be ideal for a molly. The parameters involve GH (general or total hardness), pH and temperature (not all fish live well at the same temperature, in spite of being "tropical"). KH is another parameter but less of an issue here. You may be able to ascertain these levels from the website of you municipal water authority.

As for the tank size, lets sort out the parameters. There are for example many more options if the water is on the soft side, and many of these are much smaller fish, so a 10g or 15g may work well.
I think I caught this information from another thread, about the variety of fish needing different water hardness. Not something I learned from any of the fish store people!

There are just so many little factors that one must be aware of! I bought the cory on the recommendation that as a bottom feeder, it helps clean the environment.

I think I caught this information from another thread, about the variety of fish needing different water hardness. Not something I learned from any of the fish store people!

There are just so many little factors that one must be aware of! I bought the cory on the recommendation that as a bottom feeder, it helps clean the environment.
It helps clean left over food... Nothing else much. It won't eat poo or waste. I think they may munch on some forms of algae

I'd wager most everyone thought the same thing in the beginning. Get some kind, any kind of catfish to act as the tanks vacuum cleaner. Like those robot vacuums. they hide all day and come out at night.

I have got so say, kudos to you for coming and asking for help and being bombarded with all of this info. You’re taking it like a champ
Definitely. So people ask for advice and then just don't want to take it at all. Then their upset when something goes awry

Definitely. So people ask for advice and then just don't want to take it at all. Then their upset when something goes awry
I'd say I've taken advice for sure! :) However, a lot of it has not been very good advice that I got originally. I've most certainly employed what I've thought to be the best advice given my intellect and discernment, but some information there is just no way to know until something does go bad. On my way forward, I'm not going to be using any other chemicals outside of Prime. And that's accredited to folks like you who have helped me.

I've gone through so much to realize things about cycling, lighting, heating, water changes, hospital tanks, plants, filters, pumps, substrates, bio pellets, water chemicals and processes, snails... and probably some other things. I've been able to learn from those mistakes and let go of the bad advice and get tanks up and running well, until something I haven't learned is realized and my tank goes kablooey. But I think I can save my two fish, and that's with the help of people like yourself, here on this board.

I'd say I've taken advice for sure! :) However, a lot of it has not been very good advice that I got originally. I've most certainly employed what I've thought to be the best advice given my intellect and discernment, but some information there is just no way to know until something does go bad. On my way forward, I'm not going to be using any other chemicals outside of Prime. And that's accredited to folks like you who have helped me.

I've gone through so much to realize things about cycling, lighting, heating, water changes, hospital tanks, plants, filters, pumps, substrates, bio pellets, water chemicals and processes, snails... and probably some other things. I've been able to learn from those mistakes and let go of the bad advice and get tanks up and running well, until something I haven't learned is realized and my tank goes kablooey. But I think I can save my two fish, and that's with the help of people like yourself, here on this board.
Yah it's not your fault for accepting the wrong advice, you thought you had a good source (a petstore, seems like a great source) but they didn't know how to care for the fish...
It's sad. They just sell you the stuff.

It sounds like you have all the help you need and you're getting it straightened out. I just use a chlorine remover that breaks chloramine lock on my tanks, and I test now and then. It does take time to get them going and healthy but once they are it is so nice. I don't even know what half the chemicals they sell are, I just keep on doing what I've been doing. But when it comes to a sand bed, mine are only half an inch thick. I don't want anaerobic pockets. If my plants need more I pot them

It sounds like you have all the help you need and you're getting it straightened out. I just use a chlorine remover that breaks chloramine lock on my tanks, and I test now and then. It does take time to get them going and healthy but once they are it is so nice. I don't even know what half the chemicals they sell are, I just keep on doing what I've been doing. But when it comes to a sand bed, mine are only half an inch thick. I don't want anaerobic pockets. If my plants need more I pot them
Thanks. I kind of got the feeling, and of course nothing against you, is that as I've been explaining some of my crazy problems here, a lot of people wouldn't know exactly why something was going wrong, but only what to do right, which is of course a good thing!~. I'm working my way to that point, but for me, I also want to know the other spectrum. If things do go wrong, why? This helps rounds out my knowledge to know "both sides of the coin". And to steer me away from, "what else is there (curiosity kills the fish)" or "what if something does wrong, what to do..." I've been lucky enough to get some good replies here.

Regarding my sand, it's roughly 1/4" to 1/2", with maybe a slight bump in height is some areas, as it's wavy, to give my cory some real environment feel.

When you talk about plants, and you say "pot" them, do you mean like an actual pot, as in, ceramic, or clay?
In my tank, I used a basic clay pot, and put the plant with the open sided plastic planter into the clay pot and weighed it down with gravel.
In my son's tank, I bought some small plastic pots with foam inserts made for substrate embedding.

Hopefully these are okay methods.

Attachments

• plant-kids tank.jpeg
    plant-kids tank.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 22
  • plant-my tank.jpeg
    plant-my tank.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
So per the exact instructions of a local fish expert (she owns a fish store and has been in business for decades), I have a bucket (5g) which I add my tap water to and then add the Prime and Stability (per amounts prescribed on the chemicals). I add the tap water to the bucket at least a day or two in advance of adding it to the tank for water changes. Also attached to the bucket is an extra heater, so when I do the water change, the water is closer to tank temp.
If you contact your water supply company by phone or website, find out if you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water. If you have chlorine, then you can aerate the tap water for 24-48 hours and the chlorine will come out by itself.

If you have chloramine, then you need to use the dechlorinator to neutralise the chlorine part of the chloramine. Chloramine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. It stays active for longer (months) and doesn't come out of water very easily. Water companies use it when water has to travel long distances or the weather is warm because it remains active for a lot longer than chlorine on its own.

If you have chloramine, then add the dechlorinator 30 minutes before using the water and aerate the bucket of water during that time. This will allow the dechlorinator enough time to come into contact with all the chloramine and neutralise it.

Most dechlorinators that are designed for chloramine will have something to bind with or convert the ammonia into ammonium, making it safer for the fish. This is a temporary change and only lasts around 24 hours. After that the ammonium changes back to ammonia. If you add the dechlorinator and let the water sit for a couple of days, the ammonia gets converted to ammonium for a day and then reverts back to ammonia. Dechlorinating the tap water about 30 minutes before you use it will mean ammonium goes into the tank instead of ammonia, which is safer for the fish.

----------------------
I also have a live plant in my tank (see above pics), and I only use the light that was provided to me by the set about 8 hours per day. There is no direct sunlight, but the room does have two windows, and so the tank will get indirect light.
You only have 1 pot of live plants (a Cryptocoryne). Whilst this plant will use light coming down on it, the rest of the aquarium has no plants and algae will grow in these parts because there are no live plants to use the light there. A floating plant would help if it was allowed to grow over 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank.

----------------------
Now, questions. This is where I get confused since everyone has so much different advice. I was told to change the filter media (and by filter media, you mean the charcoal) about once a month. The filter pad (or foam block that holds the charcoal in one pocketed area and the biomax in another), no one has ever told me to change. I've been told it is OK to rinse it and squeeze out the old water, provided that the biomax NOT be rinsed.

But what do you mean "I don't need carbon in a filter"?
Filter media/ materials get colonies of good bacteria living on them. These bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrate. If you change filter media, you get rid of the good bacteria and the tank can get ammonia or nitrite readings that can kill the fish and other inhabitants (snails, shrimp, etc).

Most filters have a sponge, ceramic beads and carbon. Sponges are one of the best filter materials because they trap gunk and hold beneficial filter bacteria.
Ceramic beads hold beneficial filter bacteria but don't trap gunk.
Carbon removes various chemicals and some heavy metals from water and the carbon filter pads can trap some dirt/ gunk, but that is about it.

In an average aquarium you don't need carbon because there shouldn't be any chemicals or heavy metals in the water. If there is, then you should be finding out where they are coming from and get a cleaner water source. You also don't want to drink tap water that has chemicals or heavy metals in because they are bad for all people, animals, birds, fish and reptiles.

If you have carbon in the filter, you can replace it with a sponge. If the filter does not have sponges specifically for it, buy a sponge for a different brand of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut the sponge to fit in your filter.

I'm not sure what's in the Biomax.

----------------
Established filters (that are more than 6 weeks old) should be cleaned about once a month. The media can be washed/ squeezed out in a bucket of aquarium water and the media is re-used. The bucket of dirty water is poured on the lawn or garden.

----------------------
Secondly, how can I better control the algae? If there is going to be algae on the glass, it totally defeats the purpose of having a tank, which is to see the fish. I'm having to clean the glass 20 minutes after I clean the glass.
Have the light unit towards the rear half of the aquarium.

Add more live plants. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) are good plants to try. If you get too many, you can plant them in the gravel and they grow well underwater too.

----------------------
You probably have information overload about now and I don't blame you. It can all be a bit hard to follow when first starting out and the whole situation is made worse when the fish aren't well and when you get conflicting information. Just try to go one day at a time and take it step by step and you should be ok.

I use chemically inert pots - not glazed pottery. Either red clay, the cheap stuff, or chinese food plastic take out dishes cut to the height I need. I generally pot in aquarium gravel and use a root tab if the plant is a root feeder.

You only have 1 pot of live plants (a Cryptocoryne). Whilst this plant will use light coming down on it, the rest of the aquarium has no plants and algae will grow in these parts because there are no live plants to use the light there. A floating plant would help if it was allowed to grow over 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank.
The algae was about equally bad in the front of the tank, at the back of the tank, and on the side of tank (which is next to the plant), and also on the fake rock feature. It seemed equally dispersed.

Filter media/ materials get colonies of good bacteria living on them. These bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrate. If you change filter media, you get rid of the good bacteria and the tank can get ammonia or nitrite readings that can kill the fish and other inhabitants (snails, shrimp, etc).
When you say "filter media", are you referring to the charcoal? Currently, my lingo is:
Charcoal = filter media (because it is a filter of bad stuff)
Biomax = ceramic pellets which grow good bacteria
Sponge = black spongy thing

So I'm confused because it seems like "filter" and "sponge" mean something different to you than to me.

I have a black sponge, which has the bioxmax in a cutout section on the bottom and has the carbon in a cutout section on the top. Then the whole combo goes into a compartment on the side of the tank. That then lets water through to another compartment to the pump. Water goes into the tank and is then aerated and circulated back through a small opening to where it meets the biomax section to start the process all over, continuously.
See attached (I had an extra old sponge and biomax laying around). The carbon would go at the top of the "system" but I didn't want to take any new ones out of the package. This is how the Fluval SPEC 5g system / tank works / is set up for.

The only thing I change is the carbon, which I've been told to change once a month. The Fluval tank also recommends the same. I do not change the sponge or the biomax. Is all of this correct?

Have the light unit towards the rear half of the aquarium.
I can't move it. It's set up to only be in one spot.

Add more live plants.
I wish I had more room.

Attachments

• Sponge filter bioxmax system.jpeg
    Sponge filter bioxmax system.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 24
I use chemically inert pots - not glazed pottery.
I could be wrong here, but not all clay pottery is glazed. I'm fairly certain this is just simple, baked clay. I knew not to put stuff with chemicals in there. I've read a while back that it is okay to use simple baked clay, provided no coatings, no other previous use, no paints, etc.

Most reactions

Back