About ready to give up this hobby...

If your fish store owning friend recommended you keep a single cory, and a single molly, in a five gallon, that alone means I wouldn't trust her advice.
Should we have two cory's? That was my plan, but of course, I've learned to add fish slowly, as to not overwhelm my very small and fragile tank's ecosystem. So I was waiting at least another month.

Ultimately I want two mollies and two corys. But mollies supposedly grow to 3-4 inches and would be too big for the 5g. Not sure on corys.

I've been adding Prime and Stability to my water since the beginning, and this has not seemed to have any detrimental impact or harm on my fish. It's gotta be one of the other stupid chemicals I was pushed to buy or made my own stupid decision on at some point (API Algaefix, Pristine, API Stress Coat, etc.).

Don't beat yourself up about that, it's a really common mistake that comes from a well-meaning place. It's just easy to do more harm than good when throwing a lot of random chemicals in there, and many of them aren't useful even when not actively causing harm, and cost you a small fortune in the process. A lot of snake oil salesmanship in this hobby, sadly.
Clean fresh water changed often is the best medicine and habitat. A declorinator like Prime is essential if you're using tap water/your tap water contains chloromines that can't be aged out the way chlorine can, but even Stability you shouldn't need in an established tank. I've never used it.

This most current person at Petco told me contradictory stuff in the same conversation I had with her.
Yep, never trust the advice of employees at big chain stores! Or the small independent stores for that matter - unless they've already proven themselves trustworthy and willing to admit when they don't know the answer. Always do your own research. But I know that there's tons of misinformation out there too, and that's easier said than done... reliable sources included Seriously Fish, Wet Web Media, and some of the people here! (not all of us, some, like me, are just enthusiastic nobodies :D )
Now, moving forward, this lady told us that mollies are school fish and cory's like to be in 2s and 3s to have friends.
Cories are very social and need groups of six plus, but the more the merrier as far as they're concerned, since they live in groups of hundreds - thousands in the wild. They'll survive if kept in twos and threes, but they usually appear withdrawn, isolated, "depressed". I don't know how else to describe it, and even in small groups, don't always show the same range of behaviours as they do in a much larger group. I personally wouldn't keep less than six of one of the standard, common cories, or less than 8-10 of the dwarf cories like Corydoras pygmaeus.
But of course, 5g tanks are not geared to support lots of fish. She said we need to have more fish, but can't have more fish, and so we can get other smaller fish.

What I'm mad about is that Fluval sells a 5g tank. All 5g tanks should be illegal. They are for one fish and shouldn't exist because of the amount of work one needs to put in and the amount of knowledge you need to know to make it successful is so much more with a smaller tank it's just not d*mn worth it.

Five gallon tanks have their uses, as shrimp tanks, temporary hospital tanks, aquascaping - and there are some very tiny species of fish that can be successfully kept in them, but usually by experienced hobbyists who can balance the cycle and keep on top of the maintenance required in such a small volume of water. A ban is hard because free market, and most of us are leery of bans being put down surrounding the hobby, but they definitely shouldn't be marketed towards beginners the way they are.

WAY too many chemicals in this tank. All you need is water conditioner (Prime), and that is it.

The only reason you ever use carbon is to remove meds from the water column after treatment, otherwise, it's generally useless. Use other media (ceramics, sponges, etc) in it's place.

How long are the tank lights on? Is the tank near a window? The easiest algae fix = less light, NOT chemicals

For algae on the glass, use an algae scraper or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, ORIGINAL style only...the kitchen/bath ones have detergents, the original does not
Thanks. I am going to continue to do 50% water changes until I'm certain I've removed whatever toxins and chemicals my stupid idiot self added last night.

So here's an issue. Within this thread alone, you've recommended only using Prime. GaryE above recommended not using Prime, but only to dechlorinate. This makes this hobby frustrating. Nothing against you, just making a statement on my experience that everyone seemingly has different advice and I essentially feel that I have to sort of learn by my own failures, yet half the time I can't figure out what it is that is making me fail, and so I seek advice... lol, ugh.

The tank lights are on about 8 hours per day. It is near a window, but the blinds are closed, and does not get direct light, but gets indirect. I used a plain kitchen sponge (no chemicals) to clean the glass.

A ban is hard because free market
I was just expressing frustration. I did not actually mean to ban them. I'm against banning stuff. I know it has it's purpose. But I think like most people getting into the hobby (as I expressed in other threads), I thought: water + tank + fish. DONE! How ignorant I was.

EDIT: I do really appreciate everyone's feedback. It is welcomed. I would really like to continue the hobby, and I made the decision last night that if I can't save my two fish, I'm done. I'm trying. But ultimately I would like to have a larger tank (20g or more - we don't have the room now - which is why we have 5g), and get good at this. But after enough failures, one has to say to himself, is this for me? When are enough failures enough?

Thanks. I am going to continue to do 50% water changes until I'm certain I've removed whatever toxins and chemicals my stupid idiot self added last night.

So here's an issue. Within this thread alone, you've recommended only using Prime. GaryE above recommended not using Prime, but only to dechlorinate. This makes this hobby frustrating. Nothing against you, just making a statement on my experience that everyone seemingly has different advice and I essentially feel that I have to sort of learn by my own failures, yet half the time I can't figure out what it is that is making me fail, and so I seek advice... lol, ugh.

The tank lights are on about 8 hours per day. It is near a window, but the blinds are closed, and does not get direct light, but gets indirect. I used a plain kitchen sponge (no chemicals) to clean the glass.
Prime IS a dechlorinator.

Years ago, in the US, water municipalities would add chlorine to tap water, to make it potable. Chlorine evaporates out of water over time, so back in the day, you could simply let tap water "sit" overnight (or however long it was) to dechlorinate.

Nowadays, in most areas of the US, they use chloramine, which DOES NOT "gas-off", so a dechlorinator is a must.

Should we have two cory's? That was my plan, but of course, I've learned to add fish slowly, as to not overwhelm my very small and fragile tank's ecosystem. So I was waiting at least another month.

Ultimately I want two mollies and two corys. But mollies supposedly grow to 3-4 inches and would be too big for the 5g. Not sure on corys.

I hate this bit, because you clearly care about them and I hate the rough start you've had into the hobby! It's not fair, and a lot of new hobbyists do wind up leaving the hobby because of similar problems. I don't want that, I want more people joining the hobby, having success, and enjoying it.

Is there a chance of you upgrading tank size in the near future? Ideally, I'd want that for you and for the fish. You'll find it much easier to balance and maintain, and the choice of fish you can keep will increase a lot with a 20-30g. If you can't upgrade tank sizes, then I would return or rehome the cory, ideally rehome to someone with a group of the same species of cory. They can live for years, and as you've seen, a 5g can't really support more than 1-2, and condemning a second to live in a tiny tank without the proper amount of schooling buddies isn't much of an improvement on doing that to one. :(

Mollies can definitely get huge, given enough space and time! These old ones of mine lived for around eight years, in a 57g tank, and believe me, they used every inch of that space! Lovely fish, these got to around 4 inches and produced hundreds of offspring, so they really can get huge. :)

DSCF1492.JPG

To help with scale, the mollies behind them, white and orange (gravid) female platy in front, and the blue guppy above were all full grown adults. These fish can get big given the change.
Simplify. Dechlorinate. Prime stinks. That's all.

Gary was saying Prime stinks in the sense of the smell you mentioned, not meaning it's a bad product :) Saying keep it simple, use a declorinator (which Prime is, Stability isn't), that Prime does smell bad, but it's all you need.

I hate this bit, because you clearly care about them and I hate the rough start you've had into the hobby! It's not fair, and a lot of new hobbyists do wind up leaving the hobby because of similar problems. I don't want that, I want more people joining the hobby, having success, and enjoying it.

Is there a chance of you upgrading tank size in the near future? Ideally, I'd want that for you and for the fish. You'll find it much easier to balance and maintain, and the choice of fish you can keep will increase a lot with a 20-30g. If you can't upgrade tank sizes, then I would return or rehome the cory, ideally rehome to someone with a group of the same species of cory. They can live for years, and as you've seen, a 5g can't really support more than 1-2, and condemning a second to live in a tiny tank without the proper amount of schooling buddies isn't much of an improvement on doing that to one. :(

Mollies can definitely get huge, given enough space and time! These old ones of mine lived for around eight years, in a 57g tank, and believe me, they used every inch of that space! Lovely fish, these got to around 4 inches and produced hundreds of offspring, so they really can get huge. :)

View attachment 165884

To help with scale, the mollies behind them, white and orange (gravid) female platy in front, and the blue guppy above were all full grown adults. These fish can get big given the change.

Gary was saying Prime stinks in the sense of the smell you mentioned, not meaning it's a bad product :) Saying keep it simple, use a declorinator (which Prime is, Stability isn't), that Prime does smell bad, but it's all you need.
Okay, so I'm going to only use Prime. I was using Stability to get my new tanks started, but will stop use. To @Slaphppy7, didn't mean to sound condesending. Wasn't trying to be.

We could upgrade both of our tanks to 10g, but that's where it would stop. No more room. I've been contemplating that for a while, but I say to myself, "I'm not going to invest in a larger tank and spend new money on new equipment and fail with that too. I've been able to get tanks up and running and good. Then I DO something (it's me) and I throw the whole thing into a tail spin. So I've told myself if I can keep this tank solid for 3 months, it means I can successfully maintain a 5g, and THEN I'd upgrade my 5g tank and my son's 5g.

Okay, so I'm going to only use Prime. I was using Stability to get my new tanks started, but will stop use. To @Slaphppy7, didn't mean to sound condesending. Wasn't trying to be.

We could upgrade both of our tanks to 10g, but that's where it would stop. No more room. I've been contemplating that for a while, but I say to myself, "I'm not going to invest in a larger tank and spend new money on new equipment and fail with that too. I've been able to get tanks up and running and good. Then I DO something (it's me) and I throw the whole thing into a tail spin. So I've told myself if I can keep this tank solid for 3 months, it means I can successfully maintain a 5g, and THEN I'd upgrade my 5g tank and my son's 5g.
No harm, no foul.

I like your plan, let's get these 2 5G (actually 5.5G) tanks stable and established, then once your frustrations have been alleviated, and you begin to actually ENJOY the hobby, I can almost guarantee you'll want to upgrade tank sizes...just like I did when helping my daughter with her first tank ;)

No harm, no foul.

I like your plan, let's get these 2 5G (actually 5.5G) tanks stable and established, then once your frustrations have been alleviated, and you begin to actually ENJOY the hobby, I can almost guarantee you'll want to upgrade tank sizes...just like I did when helping my daughter with her first tank ;)
After I rescued my cory from the other 5g tank (that's described in another thread) and had him in a hospital "tank (bucket)", and added him to mine, he was SUPER HAPPY. He was swimming around throughout the tank, playing, nipping at the sand, etc.. It was great. This was for about 12 days. So I felt that was pretty solid. So I felt that although he didn't have cory friends, he did have a molly friend, and a good tank.

Since this second 50% water change (from last night), my molly has perked up some, but he isn't swimming around like he used to. So I'm optimistic I can get my tank's ecosystem back. But my cory is still sad. He is moving around some, but not nearly as much as what the molly has perked up to be. He is still kind of hiding a lot.

Last edited:
After I rescued my cory from the other 5g tank (that's described in another thread) and had him in a hospital "tank (bucket)", and added him to mine, he was SUPER HAPPY. He was swimming around throughout the tank, playing, nipping at the sand, etc.. It was great. So I felt that although he didn't have cory friends, he did have a molly friend, and a good tank.

Since this second water change, my molly has perked up some, but he isn't swimming around like he used to. Some I'm optimistic I can get my tank's ecosystem back. But my cory is still sad. He is moving around some, but not nearly as much as what the molly has perked up to be. He is still kind of hiding a lot.
That's what social fish do, when they are kept alone...you were misled, as @AdoraBelle Dearheart has explained above, no fault of your own....first rule of fishkeeping: NEVER trust advice from pet store employees, they are there to make $$$, not give good advice...most of the time, they haven't a clue about proper fishkeeping

Not sure if you have mentioned it here or elsewhere, but water test kits are an essential tool in the hobby...if you don't have one yet, I suggest you get a good quality one ASAP, most of us here use this one: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

Do not acquire any fish for this tank, it is not large enough for grown mollies (if it survives) and it is not large enough for a group of cories which is essential for their well-being. Get the issue(s) solved, then plan for the future.

I don't even know what stability is - I mean, in life, yeah. As a product, no. Any dechlorinator that also deals with chloramines is all you need.

And the stink is the smell. Sorry. Prime smells bad.

I like 5 gallon tanks for fry or small rogue individuals, but you can generally run a 10 with the same gear. You can't really create much of a community tank with less than 20 gallons though.

Do not acquire any fish for this tank, it is not large enough for grown mollies (if it survives) and it is not large enough for a group of cories which is essential for their well-being. Get the issue(s) solved, then plan for the future.
I do not plan to add any more fish to this tank. I plan to get it stable for another couple of months at least, and then upgrade to a 10 gallon. If I can, I'll try to get a 15g, but not sure our space can accommodate.

At this point, I've learned well enough my tank is too small, and I've made decisions I cannot go back on, such as, undo the purchase of the molly. But, he is still small, and if I can keep my tank stable over 2+ months, it means I have learned enough to say, "Okay, I can actually do this".

So if and when he dies, I'll know it is because of past decisions (tank too small and fish too growing too big and not being in a school) finally coming home to roost, of which I'll not make those same mistakes again, and not because I cannot maintain a successful ecosystem and water changes,

Not sure if you have mentioned it here or elsewhere, but water test kits are an essential tool in the hobby...if you don't have one yet, I suggest you get a good quality one ASAP, most of us here use this one: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit
New question. If the only chemical I'm supposed to use will be Prime, moving forward, and if I'm using it properly, what would one do when using a test kit and measurements are outside specified parameters? Since the test kit only measures and tells you what is right or wrong, what would you do to correct issues?

New question. If the only chemical I'm supposed to use will be Prime, moving forward, and if I'm using it properly, what would one do when using a test kit and measurements are outside specified parameters? Since the test kit only measures and tells you what is right or wrong, what would you do to correct issues?
Any time you have ammonia or nitrItes, you do a WC

After performing a WC with Prime (for now, dose for the entire tank volume, 1/2 ml), WAIT a full 24 hours before testing again. The Prime will covert ammonia (harmful) into ammonium (harmless), but the test kit doesn't recognize the difference, so you'll get a positive reading for ammonia immediatley after a WC

24 hours will give your BB (beneficial bacteria, and plants) time to consume ammonia/ammonium; if after 24H you still show ammonia, do another WC

Most reactions

Back