Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Devorax

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:crazy: HELP!! I don't know what to do!! I have put a detailed description on another topic but I put it in the wrong section. Simplified though, my fish are dying after a couple of hours of floating vertically in the tank, kicking themselves back normal, then floating again. Any ideas? I am new to this hobby and so far it's been a disaster.

:crazy: HELP!! I don't know what to do!! I have put a detailed description on another topic but I put it in the wrong section. Simplified though, my fish are dying after a couple of hours of floating vertically in the tank, kicking themselves back normal, then floating again. Any ideas? I am new to this hobby and so far it's been a disaster.

What size tank have you got?
What fish have you got?
What are your levels like, amonia, nitrite, nitrate etc

I put a detailed explaination under the wrong forum. I don't know how to get a link on here for you to go straight to it, sorry, but if you want me to type it all again I will if you can't find it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

It's under the Tropical Fish Forums>Tropical Fish Forums called Tropical Tank Failure. To summarise, it's a 60 litre new aquarium. I have now got around 8 neons, 4 guppies, a Clown Loach, a Black Knife, 4 Danios, a couple of Endlers, 3 Dwarf Frogs, 2 Apple Snails and a Pleccy. There were more as described in my other topic.

Hi, I was wondering if someone can offer some help, cos god knows I need it.
I recently bought a 60 litre tropical tank, gravel and plants. It has an Interpet PF2 internal filter, 2 lights (one blue, one white), and a heater. We set it up precisely to instructions, using Tapsafe and FilterStart. It was brought up to temperature using the heater and left to stand for approx 4 days. The local pet shop said it was okay to add a small amount of fish, as did the supplier of the tank (which is a well known national pet retailer) after this time.
A Rainbow Shark, a Clown Loach,5 Neons and 4 male Guppies was chosen. All seemed fine. Water was clear etc.
Approx 4 days after this, we added a couple more guppies, a goldfish, fancy Black Molly and another 5 neons. There was also 2 Dwarf Frogs 2 shrimps and an Apple Snail added to start assisting in the clean up that would be needed.
In this time we had noticed that the shark had taken up residence within the ornamental tower, allowing the loach the only other access. The loach remained hidden for hours on end only emerging for a few minutes at a time, and the shark was very aggressive toward the goldfish and the molly. It got so bad we had to move the 2 fish in to a seperate cold tank, in which they have done very well.
By this time we had started noticing the guppies' tails were splitting slowly from the outside and as the split got further toward the body, they became less active and when the split reached the body they died. We didn't know if this was just 'bad stock' or an illness.
About 48 hours after the second additions, we added Endlers Livebearers, some female Guppies, a Long Armed Shrimp, 2 Black Knives, 2 more Dawrf Frogs and another snail. By this time we were fishing out the dead guppies one each day.
Within 10 minutes of being released, the Long Arm Shrimp had caught and killed 1 Neon and mortally wounded a second. The shark began pursuing the Black Knives relentlessly. I went and immediately purchased 2 breeding boxes to place them in overnight so I could take them back to seller.
With the shark and shrimp removed, everybody else began showing improved attitudes, with the neons coming higher up the tank.
We were still losing a guppy a day, so thinking we had water imbalances, we tested the water. The Nitrite and Nitrate levels were very high, everything else was very low. We did a water change (approx 50%), added appropriate Tapsafe etc and left it overnight. We had also added 2 Clown Loaches, as we had discovered that to have 1 alone is 'inhumane'.
When we released the 2 Clown Loaches, we found accute Whitespot on them, so treated immediately. Within 4 hours the worst affected one was dead. So was a shrimp. Within 24 hours, the second new Clown Loach was dead, although he had much less whitepot, but he did have an odd looking mouth.
Then it went VERY bad. We started losing all sorts. A further water test showed very high Nitrite and Nitrate leves, so we added a Nitra Zorb sachet, and changed the water again (approx 1/3).
Asking around we found that no-one had an explaination for the high levels in the water. We were told to empty the tank, blitz clean it all out and start again. So we removed what was left in to a small hospital tank, only to immediately lose a Black Knife to what looks like Mouth Rot, followed very quickly by 2 Neons (which showed no signs of illness) and 2 Guppies. An Endler went overnight and now we are on the verge of giving up. We can't figure out what to do. We have given a dose of Anti Fungus And Finrot (interpet) and removed the filter. The bigger cleaned tank was restarted with 2 goldfish to see how they would fair. This time we added no chemicals to the water at all.
Now on the second day of the hospital tank, we are expecting to lose all life in it as all are moving slower and slower, plus the guppies are looking very wierd around their mouths as if they have something stuck in it.
I can appreciate that maybe we were overstocked, or that we added fish too soon after set-up, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to try to save what's left? This is particularly annoying as my daughter has a simple cold water set up that has 2 goldfish, 2 mollies and around 9 tetras that just seem to keep on growing, and they had no chemicals added to their tank whatsoever, and the fish were in the tank immediately after set-up once room temp was reached in the tank.
I am on the point of giving up, so any help out there?

Local fish shops and tank manfactures say you can do this but they arent telling the completed truth.

You have far too may fish in their you would have to do at least 4x 50% water changes a day which isnt fun.

Have you tested the water?

Yes, and the cleaned tanks nitrite and nitrate levels are steadily increasing again. The PH is around 7, the other levels are fine. Why are the guppies/neons floating vertically then kicking back to normal then floating again?

Do you a air pump or airstones in your tank?

It could be from nitrite or ammonia poisoning.

The original tank has the filter running on full power, capable of filtering a 90 litre tank and we have a seperate air pump using a bubble tube beneath the gravel. The hospital tank has nothing as such, since we really don't know what to do. The med box said to remove filter but would adding a pump be of use? (I know it sounds silly to ask cos you would think yes, but it does have a reasonable sized area of surface.)

I have already replied on your other thread;) - but I would suggest it's because they are basically being poisoned. Please read the new to hobby section on cycling your tank. The Nitrites and Nitrates are by-products of ammonia being processed by the bacteria you need. Your Nitrites really need to be at zero as do the ammonia levels before you put fish in. As you already have the fish you need to be doing lots of water changes to keep the ammonia levels and nitrite levels down, also the nitrate but the other two you need to focus on first as they're the most dangerous to fish. You also need an ammonia testing kit as at the mo you only have the last 2/3rds of the picture.

I believe the problem is your tank was not cycled when you added the fish, there are many help topics posted in the new to fishkeeping forums you would find useful i would have a read. Due to this your water stats are not stable causing your fish to weaken and become prone to disease, the tank is going through cycling and you will need to attempt to keep the water as stable as possible. Add to this your overstocking and the problem becomes worse, i made the same mistake with my first tank and have seen it first hand. You need to do frequent water changes and monitor the nitrate and ammonia levels very closely.

Your tank is/was overstocked, im not familiar with the litre/gallon conversions but 60 litre is not big enough for cloan loaches certainly.
Also the rainbow shark is quite agressive and will also grow too large for your tank (i have just reached the end and saw that you no longer have these but in future i would research and potential fish to aviod a repeat of what happened)

With regards to the goldfish, they are coldwater and should not be kept with tropical fish. They need totally different temperatures. Goldfish in my opinion should not be kept in tanks, certainly not one of this size as they will grow huge and will be stunted if not allowed enough room. Goldfish should not be kept with tropicals.

I can appreciate that all the information a newbie could ever need is stored on this site but at the time I didn't even know this site existed. It was only when we 'googled' a question and it gave an answer from this site that I realised the wealth of information available. It is embarrassing that I could be so stupid. This has been a very painful experience (not to mention slightly expensive). But to respond to your point about the clown loaches and rainbow sharks being too big for this tank, the 3 shops I have been to all stated that they would be perfectly fine in a tank this size, both the staff and the posted signs on the tanks, so I am wondering why and how they can get away with this. With regard to the remaining survivors (some of which show no signs of ill health at all) is there any way I can try to save them? I joined this site primarily to see if there was someone that can give me immediate answers to the immediate problem, now I can start to read through the other pages and learn all I need to ever know and hopefully this will never happen again.

Hi there, Seems that the first thing you need to do is find a half decent Local fish store tbh, as you've been given every bit of bad advice that there is out there

t's a 60 litre new aquarium. I have now got around 8 neons, 4 guppies, a Clown Loach, a Black Knife, 4 Danios, a couple of Endlers, 3 Dwarf Frogs, 2 Apple Snails and a Pleccy.

- firstly Clown Loach need a much bigger tank (as they will grow to at least 8inches) and need to be kept in groups, They are also a sensitive species so shouldn't be added to a tank that hasn't been cycled and up and running for at least a few months, from the sounds your tank hasn't even cycled.

- The BGK is another sensitive species that grows to 18inches, these again obviously aren't suitable for your tank and even if you weren't having problems, you would be findiing a lot of fish going missing as all of your smaller fish would be considered food.

- Again Neons are another sensitive fish that shouldn't be added until a tank is cycled and has been running with fish for a few months.

- And Lastly i'm gonna bet that your 'pleccy' is a common which will grow as long as your average 60 litre tank.

Ok first question, do you have a liquid test kit that can test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and ph? if you don't then investing in one ASAP will be the quickest way to rectify the problems. which will most likely be stemming from the water quality.

Also if you can post what the current situation is with regard to whats in the main tank, quarantine tank and what condition the tanks themselves are in as well as the fish, - This will just help clarify where you are at atm, can't really understand from the post above.

Most reactions

Back