´underneath The Forest Canopy´

Most cabling tends to be encased in several layers of plastic.

i.e. the wires are in individual yello/red/black casing etc, then encased in black plastic etc so not sure what you mean here.

Are you talking specific cabling? Aquarium specific lights have special end caps to counter any splashing (which is why we don't just screw in household daylight lamps and use household fittings.

Any wiring that is snip,twisted and taped or where I have used a cable join are outside the tank and not inside!!.

Andy

I am asking because I am installing lights in my hood, but I only have the aquarium tubes. All the rest is DIY. I have put the thing that transforms the incoming voltage (have no clue what this is called in English; we say balastra) on the outside of the hood. I wonder what extra precautions I should take to avoid damage or electrocution!

I am assuming that you mean you are using a normal domestic fitting (end caps and ballast) with aquarium tubes!!!

Aquarium tubes are exactly the same type of tube as a domestic tube just with a spectrum that is suited to the aquarium.

The difference in aquarium fittings and domestic fittings is usually that inside the hood there are the endcaps.

On domestic fittings these are quite open and small and just fit onto the end(s) of the tube whereas on an aquarium fitting the are larger and sealed so that water can splash on the actual glass of the tube but not the metal of the ends.

If you are using non water tight end caps then this is where the danger lies.

The ballast for aquarium fittings is always kept away from the water anyway wether it be a ballast sealed within the hood or an external starter unit.

I would suggest that you try to get some watertight endcaps and attach these to the wires you are using and then you should be OK.

The units I have and the ones I am replacing them with are all designed for the aquarium so they all have water tight end caps

Andy

The new pine hood is well on its way to completion.

It is screwed together. The holes for cables have been drilled. The cutouts for the in/out pipes have been cut and I have even managed to get the holes for the fans sorted and they are much tidier than the job I did on the original hood (I though that was OK)

Last night I hinged the lid on and sanded all the edges so that they are slightly rounded rather than square.

Then I gave the inside of the hood it's first coat of yacht varnish (It will get 3 coats in total)

After the 3 coats have dried it will be time to rub the Antique Pine effect staining oil into the wood on the outside before fitting the fans, cold cathodes and the old 18W (0.6WPG) light into it. This light will suffice until the Hot5s arrive.

I tried the hood on the tank yesterday and it fits like a glove!!!! Hope it doesn't shrink at all

Therefore SAM - If you want the PC55W with the 2 bulbs and reflector can you let me know ASAP before I put them on ebay or on here.

As for the rescape the Tropica is due to arrive today, the plants are already in the current setup (They had been out of water for 10 or more days so I had to get them in) They are already putting out leaves!!!

So tonight will probably be the night of 4-6 hours removing, cleaning, inserting and finalising.

Watch This space

Andy

Most reactions

Back