A Snail Eating Fish For A 15gallon

lilfishie

Its a kinda MAGIC!! ^_^
Reaction score
well as the title says, i am in need of a snail eating fish that will not out grow my 15 gallon, i will not be getting any until the summer when i redo my tank, i wil be having sand and live plants so i am certain there will be snails and i have a few already since my clown loach died. tank mates would be female bettas and possibly a few cories so if they need to be in a group i'll ditch the cories and have them.

so any ideas?

I know this is not answer for your question. But did you consider the bleach dip or one of those chemical stuff to get rid of the snails since you are going to redo the tank. I do not like to use chemical but I do use some regular household bleach to get rid of snails and some algea. And when I dip the plant in bleach, I see the snails drop to bottom. I don't remember what the ratio of dilute since I haven't done that lately.
But I kind of accept the snails as part of eco-system. To me they are sometime useful as eating leftover especially when I grow the frys. Or try to mature the new tank, they would be the first to go in to see if there are any problem. So I usually let them be as long as they are not over populated. And I do like MTS since they turn over the sands which pretty much all the tank have since I have Corys in almost every tanks.
Anyway, I hope you can get the right answer of what fish is good to get rid of snails from someone knows about the fish.

I think puffer will eat all the snails although I don't know about much bigger snail than puffer. And I know they can be mean and not really fit for the community set up and should have some salt.
And I know some of the loaches I don't know which would be good for your tank would eat snails also.

for that tank the only ones i can thnk of are
Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki Dwarf or chain loach or
botia rostrata sergent major loach aka two stripe loach aka geto loach, formerly know as botia geto

I have 5 b.rostrata in my 17.5 g and they do a great job of keeping the snail population down.

HTH

Skunk, Yoyo, and Burmese Border loaches love to eat snails. I have 2 small Yoyo Loaches in my 14 gal tank and 3 Burmese/3 Yoyo Loaches in my 55 gal. No problems.

Most reactions

Back