A lot to learn

champion5

Reaction score
Hi, I have acquired an interesting fossilized stone and am not sure if it is healthy to put in a tank. It has sat on the sideboard of someone who smoked a great deal. I have put it in very hot water and scrubbed it and lot of air bubbles are coming out. I would like to start a tank but would this stone be suitable for a fishtank or is it contaminated by the smoke? Any answers much appreciated. Many thanks.
72520-25894a783b9f8cc5923aabf650b4fdbd.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 74
I wouldn't put it in your tank.

Apart from the smoke issue, fossils are made from sedimentary rock, so it will dissolve in your water, not only raising the pH and hardness, which your fish might not be able to deal with, but ruining the fossil as well.

I agree with fluttermoth but man that's a shame because it sure would look cool in a tank!
I have heard of people coating items with something to keep the item from leaching anything harmful into the tank. And even seen them do it on that "tanked" tv series. I can't remember what the product is but it's worth looking into.
I'm not saying it will work but if there's a chance it's worth some research!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, much appreciated, it is a shame as the stone is a unique shape :(

I would say its better for sitting on your dresser ;)

I wouldn't put it in your tank.

Apart from the smoke issue, fossils are made from sedimentary rock, so it will dissolve in your water, not only raising the pH and hardness, which your fish might not be able to deal with, but ruining the fossil as well.
Doesn't that depend on what sedimental rock we're talking about FM ?

Am i the only one who sees a halloween mask in this rock?Hahaha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

I'd be hesitant to clear-coat a rock. If you have already submerged it (and it sounds like you have) it will be wet (thank you, Captain Obvious). I know very little about clear-coat, but I do know varnish (and varnish type substances) does not get on very well with water. I could be wrong.

If your rock is bubbling, I'd say it's porous (Captain Obvious again) and could have absorbed any amount of nasties from the air over the years.

Best to ensure your fish are safe. Which is a shame, it's a lovely rock.

I'd be hesitant to clear-coat a rock. If you have already submerged it (and it sounds like you have) it will be wet (thank you, Captain Obvious). I know very little about clear-coat, but I do know varnish (and varnish type substances) does not get on very well with water. I could be wrong.

If your rock is bubbling, I'd say it's porous (Captain Obvious again) and could have absorbed any amount of nasties from the air over the years.

Best to ensure your fish are safe. Which is a shame, it's a lovely rock.
good points and lol to "captain obvious"

Most reactions

Back