A few questions about betta

pendragon said:
Also, bettas don't/won't eat flake and such because they are insect/meat eaters and have specific nutritional needs.
I totally disagree with this statement. That is an assumption. Many bettas eat flakes, some rather prefer it. Mine for instance would rather eat flakes than pellets any day. To say they are not nutritional is incorrect also. They make flakes geared specifically for bettas that do include the nutritions/proteins that bettas need. Sorry, I just don't agree with what was said and am voicing an opinion.

*edit* Here's the ingredients of some betta flake food:
Crude Protein (minimum) 48%
Crude Fat (minimum) 8.5%
Moisture (maximum) 7%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 1.5%
Fish meal, ground brown rice, torula dried yeast, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, dried potato products, soybean oil, fish oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate(vitamin c), artifical colors including red 3, ethoxyquin as a preservative.

*edit* Here's the ingredients of the betta bio-gold:
Crude Protein (minimum) 30%
Moisture (maximum) 10%
Crude Fat (minimum) 3%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 1%
Shrimp meal, white fish meal, brewer's dried yeast, wheat flour, soybean meal, wheat-germ meal, carotene, protese, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), vitamin D3, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K) inositol, paraminobenzoic acid, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, salt, ferrous chloride, copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, aluminum hydroxide, magnesium sulfate.

So, please, if you're going to make a statement like that, research beforehand. Thanks!

Spyderdf said:
dont get the fish if you cant house it in a PROPER tank. This means ATLEAST 3 gallons. Why is any other fish different than a betta? other fish get tanks to fit their needs I.E. 3 inch fish 3 gallon tank. Why should a bette be different?So why buy 10 bettas if you cannot afford to have tanks for 10 bettas?

I personally can not stand to see a betta in any kind of bowl no matter how good the keeper is. Why dont we all go an keep angel fish and plecos in bowls? I know people would get very mad to say the least.

this is my stand on bettas in bowls.

Josh
OK well read one of the other topics that deals with this its because sometimes depending on the betta they are happier in smaller places... i know i took mine from a 5gal to a 1gal and hes quite happy... misses his bridge but still happy... thinking of maybe splittin my 5gal now that i see that :p but as long as the betta is happy healthy and outta those blasted cups and in atleast like 1gal (depending on the betta yes im including those of you with paranoid fishys that like their small spaces :p small spaces are completely fine for a human too as long as i can get out :p :nod: :nod: :whistle: :rofl: :*) ) id say its totally fine... and i had a pleco in a bowl... he got to big so i put him in my 10gal :p but then my parents got mad :p

fourplayfishy said:
Spyderdf said:
dont get the fish if you cant house it in a PROPER tank. This means ATLEAST 3 gallons. Why is any other fish different than a betta? other fish get tanks to fit their needs I.E. 3 inch fish 3 gallon tank. Why should a bette be different?So why buy 10 bettas if you cannot afford to have tanks for 10 bettas?

I personally can not stand to see a betta in any kind of bowl no matter how good the keeper is. Why dont we all go an keep angel fish and plecos in bowls? I know people would get very mad to say the least.

this is my stand on bettas in bowls.

Josh
OK well read one of the other topics that deals with this its because sometimes depending on the betta they are happier in smaller places... i know i took mine from a 5gal to a 1gal and hes quite happy... misses his bridge but still happy... thinking of maybe splittin my 5gal now that i see that :p but as long as the betta is happy healthy and outta those blasted cups and in atleast like 1gal (depending on the betta yes im including those of you with paranoid fishys that like their small spaces :p) id say its totally fine... and i had a pleco in a bowl... he got to big so i put him in my 10gal :p but then my parents got mad :p
Agreed. It depends on the fish.

u may wanna add some gravel for sand to the bowl, just a lil and a hardy real plant like java fern would work, but if u dont wann keep up with it i would recomment silk plants instread. lighting is not a must and yes u should use food specified for bettas but tropical flakes work to.

I see. GuppyDude.

Yeah, i'll try feeding all of my food i got, and see what my betta likes. (It's like a buffet :lol: )

:lol: thats wat i did wen i got my fish, they had a choice between betta bites, amd tropical flakes. and the betta bites they love :D

When you purchase a fish, a lot depends on what foods it was raised on. I start any fry I raise on a variety, so they will eat about anything that is fed to them. My community tanks have always been fed 2 different types of Tetra flake foods. They have been healty and had vibrant colors. My first female bettas went into my community tank. They thrived on what they was fed. Knowing they would eat flaked foods, I have always fed flakes to my bettas. I have 1 CT that will starve before eating flaked food. He is the only one . I feed flaked food to my bettas once a day. I feed flaked foods in the morning, and frozen in the evening. I alternate what frozen foods I feed, and will feed Bio gold pellets once in awhile to alternate with the flaked foods. For the last 6 months, I have mixed my own flaked food, so they get a variety in that as well. Something I learned, was that the flakes helps keep the bowels from binding up. The flake has some fiber in it. All high protein foods is not good for anything. There needs to be some ruffage to keep the system flushed. Another thing I learned from people I respect in the betta community, is to fast your bettas occasionally. Now I do a 100% water change and fast for 24 hrs once a week. They get 100% WC every other day, but once a week I fast them for 24 hrs. My bettas are in the room with my PC, and I get lots of time to watch them. I like having fish with healthy finnage, and vibrant colors. A variety will help you achieve this. I mix freeze dried Mysis, low temp dried Daphnia, Plankton Gold flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried tubifex worms, fry bites, 2 types of Tetra flakes, and the Tetra BettaMin flakes for bettas. You can also get Spirulina bites. Maybe your betta will not eat this. Maybe it will. I know the ones I raise will eat it. Between the flaked foods they get, and all the high protein frozen foods, their nutritional needs are met.

I use Glass Cookie Jars and Bell Jars.

The Bettas are Always Active and Flaring in the Bowls.

When it Comes to Food, they can Be notoriously Picky.

I have found that Any Betta I get Readily Accepts Hikari Baby Pellets, But not Baby Cichlid Pellets.

Try and see if you can get Hikari Happy Chappy Ryukin Baby Pellets.
Every Single Betta has Devoured these Pellets.

cutecotton said:
i would recommend you put some kind fo plastic lid on there. Poke some holes in there to let air through (never put it compeltely tight fitting as the betat will need fresh air)

though most people say bettas are jumpers, none of mine have ever jumped, and i never keep a lid on -_-
The other day I walked in my betta room and found one of my prized hm's dried up on the floor. He'd jumped from one of those triangle Aquaview tanks through a hole that wasn't even 1"x1" :eek: So yes,they're exquisite jumpers. I never believed people when they said their betta jumped through a crack :*) Now I do.

wuvmybetta said:
cutecotton said:
i would recommend you put some kind fo plastic lid on there. Poke some holes in there to let air through (never put it compeltely tight fitting as the betat will need fresh air) 

though most people say bettas are jumpers, none of mine have ever jumped, and i never keep a lid on -_-
The other day I walked in my betta room and found one of my prized hm's dried up on the floor. He'd jumped from one of those triangle Aquaview tanks through a hole that wasn't even 1"x1" :eek: So yes,they're exquisite jumpers. I never believed people when they said their betta jumped through a crack :*) Now I do.
and even if the lid is covering the whole opening, it must be fastened down tightly.
bettas can heave themselves with some force and push a lightweight lid if it isnt secured down.
i lost one of my females last night because she pushed the lid aside :-(

3 gallons are expensive espeacially when u got almost 10 bettas....

My stand on this, please dont get mad.

i totally agree. but i do think bettas can be in 1 gals. most of mine are and just about all of them are constantly wiggling around and blowing bubblenests. i know my bettas have adequate homes however, i would someday like to give them all divided 5 gallon tanks.

What i've found works to prevent jumping (at least for me that is. ) Is getting floating plants. I have this sort of tangle of grass type water plant, though the name of it evades me now. Not only does this help prevent jumping, but it solves your problem of what type of water plant to get. Floating type plants take up FAR less room then planted folliage. And also, you don't have to plant it so the type of gravel you use won't effect the plant.

When building your betta's tank keep in mind that bettas rest at the bottom of tanks and bowls quite often, so don't get any kind of stones or gravel that could harm their fins. When i first introduced the floating tangled of plants to my bettas they would actually sleep/ rest in them as if they were hammocks. heh. cute.

Pellets and bloodworms are the only things my males will eat, but my females will eat anything they can fit down their throat. -_-' . Tubifex worms and flakes don't interest my bettas in the least though. Even the girlies refuse to eat Tubifex. Also, Brine shrimp terrified my betta males. heh.

Also, another tank idea for ya'. I've been keeping a 'breeding' tank/box inside of my female tank. It's a small plastic transluscent box with grates in the bottom and a lid. It hooks inside of the female tank and i put a male inside of it. I'm sure you've seen them before.

well, i've rambled for long enough. hope i supplied some usefull ideas.
~Liz

BabbleFish said:
What i've found works to prevent jumping (at least for me that is. ) Is getting floating plants. I have this sort of tangle of grass type water plant, though the name of it evades me now. Not only does this help prevent jumping, but it solves your problem of what type of water plant to get. Floating type plants take up FAR less room then planted folliage. And also, you don't have to plant it so the type of gravel you use won't effect the plant.
still didnt keep my baby from jumping :-(

aw, no way really? Perhapse i ought to think about that coffee filter / rubber band idea then. I just hate to cover them because where they are located, i often look down into their bowls. Oh well. what's a slight inconvenience compared to their safety right?

For a tank lid... they do need to have fresh air, as they're a labyrinth fish and breath surface air, so I'm not sure a coffee filter would allow enough air in. Though I guess you never know.

Though Bettas in bowls make me sad...

Most reactions

Back