A Coldwater To A Trop Tank

cories like to be in groups of three unless I'm mistaken. You could do two but I think they are happiest with three. Ottos are extremely fragile fish. I wouldn't recommend them for a tank that small. Look at the links I provided earlier. They are going to be your best resource I think. stocking a 4 gallon is tough.

No, more like
1 betta
2 pygmy cories or 2 otos
ok how about :)
2 otos
1 betta
soz did nt see your q :rolleyes: yes it got a filter :)
No you couldn't put ottos in there because as bolded on what Torrean said "Ottos are extremely fragile fish. I wouldn't recommend them for a tank that small." So you could get 1 male betta then get a divider (plastic canvas, can be found at wal mart) and put another male betta on the other side. Thats is what I would do with that size tank.

Fragile as in needing decent water? Most fis would like that. They'll have a mature filter with plants.

Who's to say what opinion is right and what is wrong? You?! Lots of people sucessfully keep otos in small tanks with bettas.

Well from what I have read, ottos need a established tank that has been running for at least 6 months and has to have a filter, heater, and good water conditons due to their fragileness.

Well from what I have read, ottos need a established tank that has been running for at least 6 months and has to have a filter, heater, and good water conditons due to their fragileness.

It is an established filter and as there's been 2 goldfish in there the filter will be cramed with bacteria because goldfish are such high waste producers. It will be filtered, heated and all fish need decent water conditions long term.

You shouldn't just go on what you have read, you need to use common sense to connect the dots. ;)

If I was you I wouldn't because you probably don't have any algae in the tank. I would go to wal mart and get a sheet of plastic canvas and then use it to divide the tank and put 1 male betta on each side of the tank.

If I was you I wouldn't because you probably don't have any algae in the tank. I would go to wal mart and get a sheet of plastic canvas and then use it to divide the tank and put 1 male betta on each side of the tank.
would they nt try to fight through the plastic :unsure:
should i have 2 cories & 1 betta

Ottos are fragile because they are often not properly fed when shipped. They need a healthy algae base when they are introduced so they can build up strength. Sometimes the bacteria in there stomach dies because they don't get fed properly and they die no matter what you do. If you want ottos ask the store how long they've been in. Two weeks is generally the minimum but longer is better. Then look at the fish. Make sure it has a nice fat belly. If it does then there is a good chance that it will survive. You may be able to keep otto's in a four with good maintenance. I just wouldn't recommend it because there may not be enough algae to feed them and smaller tanks have bigger swings in every demention from temp to diseases and ottos are generally considered fragile.

No they wouldn't try to fight trough the plastic, mine don't. But when you first put them in they will flare at each other for the first day or two then it usually stops. Also corys need a minimum of a 10g I believe.

You don't have to use clear plastic do you? An opaque or fully colored plastic would eliminate the flaring I think.

I stand by my original view. I know bettas will fight through clear perspex and although they can touch each other, the fact they can see each other is enough.

You don't have to use clear plastic do you? An opaque or fully colored plastic would eliminate the flaring I think.
Its white and they can't clearly see each other, just the body but not the color and stuff.

Most reactions

Back