90 Litre Tank Stand

codling

Reaction score
HI,

I have just upgraded to a 90 litre and am concerned as to whether the computer desk it is on will take the weight. I have just set the tank up (last night) and filled it almost full (approx 80 litres ) with water. At the moment it seems fine with no apparant struggle under the weight, although it is a computer desk it is still fairly sturdy. However, I am concerned about the long term effect of being under such weight as it was obviously not designed to hold such weight for any length of time. Does anyone have any idea as to the safety of this, should it be ok and what are the signs I should look for that the desk is not suitable? Any infor would be much appreciated as I am slightly concerned about this and want to do something before it is to late, any possible way of reinforcing it maybe?

Thanks

HI,

I have just upgraded to a 90 litre and am concerned as to whether the computer desk it is on will take the weight. I have just set the tank up (last night) and filled it almost full (approx 80 litres ) with water. At the moment it seems fine with no apparant struggle under the weight, although it is a computer desk it is still fairly sturdy. However, I am concerned about the long term effect of being under such weight as it was obviously not designed to hold such weight for any length of time. Does anyone have any idea as to the safety of this, should it be ok and what are the signs I should look for that the desk is not suitable? Any infor would be much appreciated as I am slightly concerned about this and want to do something before it is to late, any possible way of reinforcing it maybe?

Thanks

I can't see an immediate issue with a 90l as long as the entire base is supported evenly. As far as I am aware 1 litre is equal to 1 kg (then you have the glass weight). Average modern desktop PCs could be about about 20kg and possibly more if there is an older clumpier monitor so it will depend entirely on the type of stand. If the desk is on legs as opposed to a flat base there may be more to consider. You could use a spirit level to check the levels daily but I'd suggest getting a cabinet style support to be sure. I have no actual learning in this so it is all just my opinion.

Also to mention the tank is a Fluvel 90, its states in their booklet not under any circumstance to place polystyrene under the tank? Does anyone know why as I have placed some under each corner as is recomended and as I have done with a previous tank? Should I remove this?

Thanks

Also to mention the tank is a Fluvel 90, its states in their booklet not under any circumstance to place polystyrene under the tank? Does anyone know why as I have placed some under each corner as is recomended and as I have done with a previous tank? Should I remove this?

Thanks

Not sure about polystyrene corners have never used that before. All I know is that an even base support is critical.

The fluval tank I have has the glass supported but the frame of the tank itself which is why it is not needed. Only tanks with the glass touching the surface it's on need polystyrene as far as I know. Hope this helps

Dani

Thanks for the response, will probs take them away in that case. As for the desk itself do you think this will be ok for this size tank??

You're talking a tenth of a tonne on a CPU desk, as a qualified structual engineer I would have to advise you against it, it really is worth buying a proper stand, having said that I have seen some big sturdy CPU desks that might be suitable but its up to your own judgement really!

Thanks

some tamks like mine have slats under the glass that are already supporting the glass underneith the tank so there is no need in polystyrene

You're talking a tenth of a tonne on a CPU desk, as a qualified structual engineer I would have to advise you against it, it really is worth buying a proper stand, having said that I have seen some big sturdy CPU desks that might be suitable but its up to your own judgement really!
I agree for the most part. It really depends on how it is built. I think that it should be fine, my computer desk is pretty sturdy.

I agree for the most part. It really depends on how it is built. I think that it should be fine, my computer desk is pretty sturdy.

My desk is pretty sturdy and I seen no signs of strain at the moment, albeit has only be set up just over a day. But is this likely to change over any length of time?

we really need pics to judge.

or may i suggest using my plans below:
stand.gif

I would agree. When i built my stand i just sat on it and wiggled around figuring if it could support my 220lb @ss wigglin around that a static tank would be more than stable.

I would agree. When i built my stand i just sat on it and wiggled around figuring if it could support my 220lb @ss wigglin around that a static tank would be more than stable.

Yeh I kinda did the same and seemed fine, like i said short term at the moment all seems well. Only thing I was really worried about was the long term and whether the desk would eventually weaken over time under the weight or will it pretty much stay the same.

Most reactions

Back