7x2x2 Weight When Empty?

takeaguess

Reaction score
hi there, I'm due to pick up this 7 footer soon. Any ideas on how much it weighs empty? just so I take enough bodies with me.

have searched, unsuccesfully on the web, but cant find any "empty calculations"

thanks

I would put in a guess of 250kg+, the 8x3x2 tank im looking at building the glass by itself would weigh 300kg thats 10mm glass and double based

i moved a 5ft/2ft/2ft with thick glass with me and a friend and boy did we stuggle....they are heavy we slipped n it broke my hand as i broke its fall :rolleyes:
i would take as many bodys as possible<get a large van and be careful through doorways :good:

they are heavy we slipped n it broke my hand as i broke its fall :rolleyes:

The important thing is though did the tank survive?? :p

I would say its going to be at least around 500lbs

Using info from the net:
72" x 24" x 25" filled weights 2100 lbs. The weight of the water alone will be 1633.77 lbs which means the tank weights around 466lbs. Add another fairly hefty chuck of glass to that for your tank and that is one heavy mother to pick up :)

Perhaps I should have labelled this thread as "hoping to pick up"

thats some scary weight, was planning on going from Kent to Stafford to pick up with just 2 mates, van only sits 3 incl me as driver.

I've got my eye on this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Tank-and-ca...1QQcmdZViewItem can just picture it against the big plain wall I have in the living room.

I've got 17 hours to rethink............ or wait til another 7 footer comes up, nearer to home.

If link doesnt work, ebay item number 250144888822

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That is one hell of a tank :) Pretty glad I have an MX-5 as it really limits the range of the size of tanks I can get (this thing would fall through my floor anyway :) ).

Until you work it out though you dont really expect a few sheets of glass to weight that much :)

well I've bitten the bullet and got it, hired a van for this saturday, just gotta hope we can get it in the van lol

I'm not a that a newbie and understand I need to cycle the tank etc.... but any tips of de-chlorianting such a large volume (around 800 litres I think) of water cheaply? using pond stuff perhaps? or will it naturally disperse after time?

If my calculations are correct, that's 210 gallon. According to the site I use, a 180 gallon tank weighs about 2100 lb filled. Since 180 gallon of water weights about 1500, that would mean the tank is about 600. Your tank is roughly 16% larger so that would put it at about 700 lb, not accounting for possibly thicker glass.

well I've bitten the bullet and got it, hired a van for this saturday, just gotta hope we can get it in the van lol

I'm not a that a newbie and understand I need to cycle the tank etc.... but any tips of de-chlorianting such a large volume (around 800 litres I think) of water cheaply? using pond stuff perhaps? or will it naturally disperse after time?

Just fill er up with cold tap water, and let it stand a week... just make sure theres some water movement, new filter or air bubbles etc. The chlorine will dissipate naturally.

Then start your cycle. (heaters ON now)

That will work fine as long as the local water doesn't contain chloramines which won't disipate. As mentioned, pond dechlorinator would work fine for the large volume of water you have. It's concentrated so it don't take as large a quantity as regular dechlor.

Just remember to put somthing on the buttom of the van like old carpet or something like that, just too stop it cracking. dont wont to get home and find it cracked after all that? i found that out with an old tank, filled it up about six inches from the top, and pop the bottom let out.

good luck anyway hope it goes well for you?

Most reactions

Back