55 Gallon

LOL! What is it with this area and cichlid keepers :rolleyes: . Like 80% of the MAS is made of cichlid keepers. I love my peaceful community and nano fish though :wub: . If cichlids are what you want, you can definitely get lots of them off minnfish. Also there someone selling some awesome wood on that site. He's got a picture of a giant 3' by 5' piece that is amazing. Its also bigger than any of my tanks......

Are you gonna move that piece of wood into the 55?
Yeah, I am going to be moving everything over to the 55, than I am going to make the 29 into a community tank.

LOL! What is it with this area and cichlid keepers rolleyes.gif . Like 80% of the MAS is made of cichlid keepers. I love my peaceful community and nano fish though wub.gif . If cichlids are what you want, you can definitely get lots of them off minnfish. Also there someone selling some awesome wood on that site. He's got a picture of a giant 3' by 5' piece that is amazing. Its also bigger than any of my tanks......

I will have to check out minnfish, and see if I can't snag some more Cichlids!

Yeah, the piece of wood would be too big for the 55...lol.

EDIT: I am going to be making the stand for it next weekend, and I just want to know, how tall should it be?

What is the average height of a 55 gallon stand?

-FHM

I believe the average stand hight is about 30 inches or so. But really you can make it to whatever hight you want, just remember the higher you go, the easier it would be to push it over.

Personally, I wish my sands were a bit higher so I didnt have bend over all the time to see my fish, lol.

I believe the average stand hight is about 30 inches or so. But really you can make it to whatever hight you want, just remember the higher you go, the easier it would be to push it over.

Personally, I wish my sands were a bit higher so I didnt have bend over all the time to see my fish, lol.

Okay, thank you for your response!

I was thinking about 28 or 30 inches.

-FHM

After I get the 55 stocked with Cichlids, will I have room for another type of fish?

I know Cichlids will occupy the water form the bottom of the tank to about a foot above the substrate for the most part, but I would also like to get another type of fish that occupies the water higher up in the tank?

What sort of fish, that could get along with Malawi Cichlids, could I get that would occupy the water higher up in the tank?

Thanks!
-FHM

aw man i haven't seen your updates!
wow you're so lucky!!
in case you don't know what to do with that other 55..i think i could talk my parents into letting me make some room :shifty: haha wish i lived closer

your 29 looks awesome..i like how the fish colors stand out even through the tannins.
i'm so jealous! haha

i don't really know what to tell you about other fish though..probably get more responses though if you start a new topic.
good luck man, hope your semester finished up well.

edit:
oh and about the height..i would think just figure out about what height you'll be looking at it most often..like if you're bed is right next to it, or a chair or something that you'll be in a lot..just figure out where your eye level is and put the center of the tank at that height.

aw man i haven't seen your updates!
wow you're so lucky!!
in case you don't know what to do with that other 55..i think i could talk my parents into letting me make some room :shifty: haha wish i lived closer

your 29 looks awesome..i like how the fish colors stand out even through the tannins.
i'm so jealous! haha

i don't really know what to tell you about other fish though..probably get more responses though if you start a new topic.
good luck man, hope your semester finished up well.
:lol:

Thanks man!

Yeah, my RA is giving me his 55 in a couple of weeks.

Maybe you can find how much for shipping, and just pay that, I wouldn't mind giving it to you when I get it.

Yeah, 8 days of classes left!

I sign up for my classes for next year tomorrow; so far I got a pretty good schedule.

How is your semester going for ya?

And BTW, math is a piece of cake right now; Law of sines and cosines...:lol: So easy!

haha i'll have to look into that

you still have classes? i thought you got out before me...well :p then, cause tomorrow is my last day of classes, and finals are over next wed.

i don't know what to say about my sememster haha..getting a little worried cause of all the finals coming up..but i've done pretty well for the most part so i shouldn't really have to worry too much..
my next semester is really sounding rough though..a lot more of the more difficult engineering courses..and a packed schedule..so we'll see..at least it'll be the fall and i won't be as burned out as i am now...i can't get myself to work on anything anymore.

glad to hear math is going well..this last bit in my math class has been rough..infinite series, sequences, and power series...bleehhh..

haha i'll have to look into that

you still have classes? i thought you got out before me...well :p then, cause tomorrow is my last day of classes, and finals are over next wed.

i don't know what to say about my sememster haha..getting a little worried cause of all the finals coming up..but i've done pretty well for the most part so i shouldn't really have to worry too much..
my next semester is really sounding rough though..a lot more of the more difficult engineering courses..and a packed schedule..so we'll see..at least it'll be the fall and i won't be as burned out as i am now...i can't get myself to work on anything anymore.

glad to hear math is going well..this last bit in my math class has been rough..infinite series, sequences, and power series...bleehhh..
Dang, yeah I have 8 days left of class, and then finals the week after.

Just one more week than you, oh well.

I still have to write one more paper, and do one more speech. These are the only two things that I am a little stressed about.

I got 3 classes next year in my focus! Engineering materials, fluid power and my favorite and probably easiest, electricity! I am really looking forward to these.

Then I have English and math again. This is the last English and math class I will ever have to take! :hyper:

Good luck on your finals! Hope they all go well!

-FHM

try synodontis multis mate mine swim round the top all the time and they look cool

try synodontis multis mate mine swim round the top all the time and they look cool
Thanks, that's cool.

I never thought that catfish would swim near the top.

Anyone else know of any kind of fish that would occupy the upper parts of the water column, and would be suitable in a Malawi 55 gallon tank setup?

Thanks a lot guys, and thanks for all the responses thus far!

-FHM

hmm..would cost between $40-60 to ship...hmmmm

haha, i don't know how well that would work out though..i can't even imagine asking my parents that one..their just getting used to the 30 gal..maybe i could just switch them, and they'd never noticed :shifty:

hmm..would cost between $40-60 to ship...hmmmm

haha, i don't know how well that would work out though..i can't even imagine asking my parents that one..their just getting used to the 30 gal..maybe i could just switch them, and they'd never noticed :shifty:
:lol:

Well, I will let you think about it.

I still need to get it, hopefully it will be in a couple of weeks.

-FHM

Most reactions

Back