55 Gallon Rebuild

Good to know that. I thought the cories couldn’t handle salt. I am slowly turning heat up. Thanks!

Good to know that. I thought the cories couldn’t handle salt. I am slowly turning heat up. Thanks!

I just added to my last post, as I realized it could be taken that I was suggesting the preparation is harmful; they may be fine with it, but heat and salt would be less stress, and that is important to always keep inmind when considering treatments.

Good luck with the neons, you may want to lower the light in their OT tank. They prefer shade and it will help lessen their stress. I have stopped buying neons for now.

Good luck with the neons, you may want to lower the light in their OT tank. They prefer shade and it will help lessen their stress. I have stopped buying neons for now.
Yes, I know they prepare shade. I have 2 lids on the 55 so I only light one side. Then they can choose where to go. :)

I just added to my last post, as I realized it could be taken that I was suggesting the preparation is harmful; they may be fine with it, but heat and salt would be less stress, and that is important to always keep inmind when considering treatments.
Oh no, I understood and agree. No problem. :)

@Byron , my temp in my tank is now at 82.4. The neons seem fine, eating and swimming but they are breathing heavier. I have plenty of oxygen going and some parasites have fallen off. Do you think they are OK with their breathing?

@Byron , my temp in my tank is now at 82.4. The neons seem fine, eating and swimming but they are breathing heavier. I have plenty of oxygen going and some parasites have fallen off. Do you think they are OK with their breathing?

Rapid respiration is to be expected when the temperature is above what they prefer. Also the product you added could be bothering them...characins frequently have to have half strength medications, and I've no idea what is in the product mentioned.I do not want to beat this to death, but in my view any of these so-called ich remedies are dangerous to characins especially, and cories too. I used Kordon's rid-ich or whatever many years ago and lost fish. When Neale Monks tells me to use heat and only salt if heat alone doesn't work, I accept it. These are new fish, and that means they are already seriously stressed.

It is not easy to call this, but if you become worried a major water change will never hurt, and you could raise the temp another couple degrees too. I personally would not add any more of the product.

Rapid respiration is to be expected when the temperature is above what they prefer. Also the product you added could be bothering them...characins frequently have to have half strength medications, and I've no idea what is in the product mentioned.I do not want to beat this to death, but in my view any of these so-called ich remedies are dangerous to characins especially, and cories too. I used Kordon's rid-ich or whatever many years ago and lost fish. When Neale Monks tells me to use heat and only salt if heat alone doesn't work, I accept it. These are new fish, and that means they are already seriously stressed.

It is not easy to call this, but if you become worried a major water change will never hurt, and you could raise the temp another couple degrees too. I personally would not add any more of the product.
Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure breathing is OK. Going to continue to 86F and no more meds. I did use aquarium salt.

@Byron I’m so sorry to keep bothering you. I’ll try to make this the last time, today at least. :). One tetra now has a white spot covering his eye. Is that a parasite. Let me get a pic.
image.jpg

I can't tell, but I would not worry about that. Could be a cataract, I can't tell.

One more pic...he’s at the top.

Attachments

• A743E667-9384-4746-8BBC-7DD50E3643AD.jpeg
    A743E667-9384-4746-8BBC-7DD50E3643AD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Ok, thank you. I’ll let you rest. Appreciate your wisdom! :)

Well, my 200W heater will only get my water to 84.6F. I guess I have to continue using the med in order to kill the ich. Nothing ever works just right!

Most reactions

Back