55 Gal. Stocking Suggestions Please

RainboWBacoN420 said:
Sorry, my bad, I meant pool sand.

My play sand is like what you said, black, white, grey and brown.

Usually, I hear that black substrate is recommended? But if the case is albino corydoras, I think play sand is most ideal since they can blend in pretty well with it and it's not too white to where lighting will brighten it up so much.

As I believe I mentioned previously, the play sand as we are describing is very similar to the sands in most watercourses in SA.  Corys live over substrates composed of either sand or mud, often having a layer of dead leaves.  And of course branches and other wood.  Looking down fro above, as a predator fish or bird would, the corys sitting motionless are nearly invisible as fish.

The problem with black substrates in my experience is that every speck of stuff is highly visible, like little bits of dying plant leaf and detritus.  Never saw this with my natural mix fine gravels that I used to have, nor with the play sand I now have in all tanks.

Byron said:

As I believe I mentioned previously, the play sand as we are describing is very similar to the sands in most watercourses in SA.  Corys live over substrates composed of either sand or mud, often having a layer of dead leaves.  
That would be an interesting display in an aquarium full of corys, just a layer of leaves scattered at the bottom of the tank, If I had room for a big tank with just corys, I would try to recreate the type of environment you described. Just imagine a mix of ludwigia leaves, a mix of green, brown and red leaves with a school of corys sifting over them. It might also make the aquarium look nicer, if I'm imagining it right.

Anyways, another other suggestions...? I'm planning on stocking the quarantine soon with Lemon Tetra, those seem to be winning my opinion.But I'm still open to suggestions for other fish. 

RainboWBacoN420 said:

As I believe I mentioned previously, the play sand as we are describing is very similar to the sands in most watercourses in SA.  Corys live over substrates composed of either sand or mud, often having a layer of dead leaves.  
That would be an interesting display in an aquarium full of corys, just a layer of leaves scattered at the bottom of the tank, If I had room for a big tank with just corys, I would try to recreate the type of environment you described. Just imagine a mix of ludwigia leaves, a mix of green, brown and red leaves with a school of corys sifting over them. It might also make the aquarium look nicer, if I'm imagining it right.

Anyways, another other suggestions...? I'm planning on stocking the quarantine soon with Lemon Tetra, those seem to be winning my opinion.But I'm still open to suggestions for other fish. 

I was going to mention about the Lemon Tetra...I have a group of these in with my Congos as it happens.  No problems, but the pale colour does rather get lost.

I have dried oak leaves in some tanks, but not the one with the corys, yet.  I am going to be re-scaping the 70g one of these days, and intend moving the corys into there.  Will probably include some leaves.

The quotes are getting ridiculous, so I'm not even going to try anymore.

Posts pictures when you're done, I would very much like to see how that turns out.

And regarding the lemons, I think I'll be alright with their paleness getting lost, their red eyes make up for it. We'll see, my girlfriend wants to go to my job to pick up some plants today, so I might as well just pick up those lemons while I'm there, IF they're still there. There were only about twenty of them a couple days ago when I was last there. And our fish sell pretty quickly, so fingers crossed!

Not sure if the candy cane tetras are the same or just similar but I have 8 Hyphessobrycon Bentosi tetras (ornate / white-tipped / bentosi tetras) in my 65 gallon and they are awesome.

They generally school together, have the larger chunky bodies so add a lot to the community visually, and they are cool looking. They are fairly dark pink, so also add color. They are super active at feeding time - I call them my pirhanas becasue they are chow hounds and get very animated. They display a lot to each other but are totally peaceful with everyone else. 

Edit:  You can see them easily in my signature pic.

I had picked up six lemon tetra from my job last night, there were only six of them in there and they had been there for a couple months now, so I thought I might take them off the stores hands. For some reason they were housed in a 75 gallon full of rams... (what a pain it was to catch them..)

But they all seem pretty healthy and overall just beautiful. This might be the last type of fish I add to my tank (besides more neons and albino corys). It depends on how many more lemon tetra I can find, I don't know if or when we'll have another shipment of lemons, so we'll see.

The "candy cane tetra" is most likely now described as the species Hyphessobrycon bentosi.  This name has a rather confusing history, as it was used for more than one of the very similarly-coloured and patterned fishes commonly known as the Rosy Tetra, Roberti Tetra, Ornate Tetra, and more recently HY511 (candy cane, peppermint).  Weitzman & Palmer (1997) proposed the "Rosy clade" of several species in Hyphessobrycon that share some features such as a black blotch in the dorsal, a dark humeral (shoulder) patch, and white in some fins.  The Black Phantom and Red Phantom, Serpae, Bleeding Heart, and others were also in this "clade."  In proposing this, Weitzman & Palmer (1997) suggested that Hyphessobrycon bentosi was the species known as the "Roberti" by Gery (1977).  This was acknowledged by the authors to not be a complete phylogenetic study, so it was inevitable that subsequent studies might sort things out.  And this happened in Zarske (2014) whose paper can be viewed for free here:
http://researcharchive.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/getref.asp?id=33403

The Abstract is in English but the main text is in German, with some nice photos.  Zarske described the "Roberti" tetra as a distinct species for the first time, and named it Hypohessobrycon jackrobertsi.  He also re-described H. sweglesi (Red Phantom), and another two new species, H. dorsalis and H. paepkei.  And H. bentosi was clarified.

The species in the "Rosy clade" proposed by Weitzman & Palmer (1997) may turn out to be some of or perhaps the only true Hyphessobrycon species when this large genus is finally sorted out phylogenetically.  Several ichthyologists now suggest that these species are Hyphessobrycon senso stricto [= in the strict sense].  This genus was originally raised as a sub-genus of Hemigrammus by Durbin in Eigenmann (1908).  In those days, external characteristics along with internal physiology like dentition were used to establish genera and species.  The species in both genera were identical in all characteristics except that the caudal fin is scaled in Hemigrammus but not Hyphessobrycon, but more recent study has revealed that even this is not a defining characteristic as it can occur in intermediate conditions (de Lucina, 2003).

It is now a certainty that the genus Hyphessobrycon which is comprised of more than 160 valid or nominate species is a polyphyletic assemblage that contains several distinct monophyletic genera.  Polyphyletic means that the genus contains fish descended from very different ancestors so they are not that closely related, whereas monophyletic means that the species within the genus are the descendants of one common ancestor and are thus very closely related.  Hemigrammus (holding more than 80 valid or nominate species) is in the same boat.

Byron.

Yup... Byron points out something interesting about these fish... they have about a 150 names!   Either way, they are great fish!

Most reactions

Back