50 Gal

It releases tannins into the water and lowers the pH.  The tannins are a bit of a tonic to the fish, and colors the water, mimicing the water in many areas of the Amazon and tributaries.  Its best for South American fish, but is also good for some Asian fish, but is not good for African Cichlids.

Right, just good to have in the tank to kind of leak into the water somewhat. But apparently, bn's will indeed eat it lol.

lol. ok, so it would be good to have it in my tank? i have central american cichlids, and tetras (i think). and coud i put some in the 20 allon with my corydoras and my betta?

corydoras - yes,  bettas - I don't know.

You'd probably want to research the specific south american cichlids you have just to check on their natural habitat.  If they come from water rich in organics then tannins are good, if not, then I wouldn't.

i just got 5 white angelfish about a little bigger than a time size. hopefully some will survive. then will pair up, and i will sell everyone but one pair

Angelfish :)       which tank are you putting them in? I can't be certain, but not sure angelfish and cichlids go well together? IDK for sure though.

angelfish are cichlids.  ;)

eaglesaquarium said:
angelfish are cichlids. 
wink.png
yep.

they are in the 65. the bigger angelfish completely ignore the smaller ones, but the smaller ones follow them around, it is pretty ufn to watch them

I know they are a type of cichlids, I just for some reason thought you couldn't keep them with regular cichlids, which now sounds silly lol.

lol.
but you cant keep them with african cichlids, oscars, other agressive cichlids, etc. but you can keep them with more peaceful ones like keyholes, GBR, bolivian rams, apistos, sometimes kribs (not for me i guess) and other peaceful cichlids

here are some long awaited pictures
smile.png

one of my bigger angels and some smaller ones

3 of the smaller angels

sorry but thats all for now.
i warn you, the full tank doesnt look to good. it has absolutely no aquascaping intent, as i have no idea what to do in this big of a tank. also i think something is wrong with my bigger angels. they have some kind of silver, pale lines in random patterns along thier bodies, anyone know what this could be?

oh and click on the pictures to make them bigger

good thing happened tonight. when i was doing a water change i noticed at least 4 mosquito fish fry! they werent that small, probaly like a cm or 2, but i was suprised because i thought they would all be eaten, and i havent done anything special, except during water changes i added colder water (ive been trying to breed the pygmys) so hopefully the pygmys had fry too, but i dont know because i have a big clump of java moss for this purpose, so the fry could survive.  any ideas on how to breed the pygmys? a couple have been pregnant before, but nothing happened

Cories don't get "pregnant".  They aren't livebearers like the mosquito fish.  They are egg layers.  The cories will put eggs on the glass, on the underside of leaves, etc.  The fry hatch a few days later (how long depends on the specific specie).  During this time the eggs are extremely vulnerable to being eaten by any fish (including the cories that laid the eggs) that finds them. 

If you are really trying to breed them, then you need a specie only tank, and you need to remove the parents after they lay the eggs (or remove the eggs). 

So, I don't know what you mean when you say that you had pregnant cories before, I guess you mean that you could tell that the females were carrying eggs.  That doesn't necessarily mean that nothing happened.  It very well could have happened, but they just got eaten long before you saw them... or they are very good at hiding.   In my own case, my panda cory fry didn't make a "public appearance" until they were at least 4-5 weeks old.  By then they were big enough that most of the other fish would leave them alone.

oh, yeah i meant carrying the eggs. but i guess they were eaten or something. by breeding i meant that hopefully i would be one of those people who got luky and found some fry, then i would raise the fry. thanks for the info

Most reactions

Back