46 Gallon (Gal) Bow (Bow Front)

averynight

Reaction score
What can I do? I have a 46 bow that I got a REALLY got deal on, but need a hood or canopy - what can I do?

JP

For a bow front, I would think about doing the top as three sections.

The front portion (bow part) covered with glass lids for easy feeding.
The middle portion (majority of the rectagular area) covered with glass and lighting.
The back portion with 1" to 3"wide black strip (however much is your preference) for routing the inlets/outlets and heating wire and whatever else.

Here's my stab. Pardon me if it's lame, but it's my stab.
24eqb08.png

For the front portion, trace the curve of the bow onto some paper. And you might want to get a glass cutter make the lid for you. I suggest separating into two as shown and have only smaller hinged section(s) lift up.

For the lighting, yellow section, the glass would be stationary --- so that's easy.

And then the back strip, gray section, use plastic so you can cut whatever access holes you need for tubing and wiring. This strip can be siliconed to the adjecant glass if you need further stability.

Depending on the tanks dimensions and bracing, a center bracing may be added if you need the additional support.

VERY nice pic. Thanks. What or where would I get the "hinge" material - what would you suggest - for between the lid to stationary glass.

For a bow front, I would think about doing the top as three sections.

The front portion (bow part) covered with glass lids for easy feeding.
The middle portion (majority of the rectagular area) covered with glass and lighting.
The back portion with 1" to 3"wide black strip (however much is your preference) for routing the inlets/outlets and heating wire and whatever else.

Here's my stab. Pardon me if it's lame, but it's my stab.
24eqb08.png

For the front portion, trace the curve of the bow onto some paper. And you might want to get a glass cutter make the lid for you. I suggest separating into two as shown and have only smaller hinged section(s) lift up.

For the lighting, yellow section, the glass would be stationary --- so that's easy.

And then the back strip, gray section, use plastic so you can cut whatever access holes you need for tubing and wiring. This strip can be siliconed to the adjecant glass if you need further stability.

Depending on the tanks dimensions and bracing, a center bracing may be added if you need the additional support.

After some searching, I found this...

Replacement hinge strips, back strips, and (even) handles! So the parts are out there. I'm sure your LFS would have the parts too.
http://www.drsfoster...u=0070591000000

And for reference, below are the Versa Tops that these replacement parts are specifically for, but I'm sure they can be used for personal projects too.
http://www.aqueonpro...-glass-tops.htm

BTW, there is a Versa Top listed as a 46 bow... might it be the same dimensions that you need?

In your opinion what would be the added benefit of purchasing a canopy (or making) vs. a hood / lid. Long term, for the hobby - which is better?

Most reactions

Back