40g Ideas...

UBigBobby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've been a member here for a few years, but don't post much.

I've never been one for "what should I stock my tank with?" thread becuase I always believed your tank is a reflection of you and your preferences. You should stock your tank with fish that you like, not someone else.

That being said...I find myself needing to make one of those threads!

I have a 40G Tall tank. I'm at the office right now so I don't have the exact measurements. Currently the tank is a SE Asia tank, only partially planted with some Vallis. The rest of the tank are dreaded plastic plants (most of my tank money is funneled to my 2 SW tanks, so I don't have the $$ for a CO2 system and better lighting for the FW). I have 7 Giant Danios, and 7 Harlequin Rasboras. They're nice, and healthy.

A friend of mine is starting his own tank, and absolutely loves my fish for some reason (they're not exactly rare or that flashy, but to each his own!). I was seriously considering giving him my FW fish, and completely restocking my 40G Tall FW tank.

I like the rasboras and danios...but when you have 2 SW tanks on the other side of the room...it's easy to figure out which tank doesn't get as much attention from visitors...or even me sadly.

If I restock...I want something different, but not necessarily difficult. While a school of 20 neon tetras would be cool looking, I've always had little fish. I kind of want a big, proud, centerpiece fish. Maybe a Green Terror or something.

It's been at least a year since I even looked at adding FW fish, so I guess you could say I'm a bit out of practice on my freshwater species and requirements.

So I'm looking for ideas. If you had a 40G Tall aquarium, cycles and ready for any fish you could, and whatever $$ you need for stocking...what would you do? I'm looking for cool ideas. Something that will have personality, will be a centerpiece. My Chainlink Moray Eel has personality...my Giant Danios...eh not so much.

Please, fire away. I'm taking a stop at a decent FW LFS near me to look around and get ideas tonight. I want to come back to a thread chock full of great stocking ideas. :good:

why not go for african cichlids they are as near to marine as you can get in a tropical tank

What are the tank dimensions?

Glad you asked that. As it turns out, I've bee under the impression it was a 40G for about 4 years. That's what the person who sold it to me claimed it was, and I never really thought to doubt him.

Turns out, it's a 37G. 30x24x12.

Still with a 24in. Height, a few angles should be fine.

I was hopeing for a single Green Terror or Jack Dempsey, but 37G with a 30in footprint would probably be too small once they are full grown, and I'm not a fan of buying a fish I can't support when it grows up, unless I can guarantee it a place when it gets big.

Angels would look great and with the stunning colours available, people would find it hard not to look at them!
Another option would be a Tanganikyan set up with shell dwellers and Julidochromis.

I'm leaning toward Angels. What about Firemouths? I believe they're generally a 30G minimum.

I actually used to have a Tanganyika shelldweller tank in a little 10G. With a tank 24 inches high though, there would be a lot of dead space in the top half of the tank.

i agree on the angels but i didn't want to say anything until someone with more experience than me suggested them.also,i was under the impression that most cichlids prefer a long tank as oppossed to a tall tank.

Most reactions

Back