37 gl tank, how many fish I can put in!!!! 9 fishes now but the tank looks empty!!!

Can you guys tell me if my gourami is male or female? I am planning to add few other gouramis and trade in my silver dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_20220128_170250632.jpg
    IMG_20220128_170250632.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220128_170243000_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220128_170243000_MP.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220128_170244273.jpg
    IMG_20220128_170244273.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 46
Can you guys tell me if my gourami is male or female? I am planning to add few other gouramis and trade in my silver dollars.
Looks to be female

I believe many gouramies sold in pet stores are male because the females are not very colorful and don’t sell as well. They also tend to be territorial so you may run into problems keeping 2 males together in one tank. Though 37 gallons might be big enough if there are sufficient plants and decor to divide up the space. I’ve only kept single gouramies.

I believe many gouramies sold in pet stores are male because the females are not very colorful and don’t sell as well. They also tend to be territorial so you may run into problems keeping 2 males together in one tank. Though 37 gallons might be big enough if there are sufficient plants and decor to divide up the space. I’ve only kept single gouramies.
Ok thanks, so I will either look for other females or keep this single male.gourami. what about another single angel fish? It looks beautiful but some gurus here told me the tank is not enough

Ok thanks, so I will either look for other females or keep this single male.gourami. what about another single angel fish? It looks beautiful but some gurus here told me the tank is not enough

I may have covered this in another thread, but no matter, it is important to understand. Angelfish are shoaling fish so they should have a group of five or more, but this tank has insufficient space for that. As for a "pair," if they select one another and bond, they should live together peaceably, but they will then spawn, and another set of problems/issues. A solitary angelfish I would never recommend because it is denying the poor fish what it views as essential, and as an aquarist I never consider that to be a humane path to go down. Cichlids and gourami should never be housed together, that is another issue; males of both are territorial, and in this sized tank a male will view the entire space as his territory.

I may have covered this in another thread, but no matter, it is important to understand. Angelfish are shoaling fish so they should have a group of five or more, but this tank has insufficient space for that. As for a "pair," if they select one another and bond, they should live together peaceably, but they will then spawn, and another set of problems/issues. A solitary angelfish I would never recommend because it is denying the poor fish what it views as essential, and as an aquarist I never consider that to be a humane path to go down. Cichlids and gourami should never be housed together, that is another issue; males of both are territorial, and in this sized tank a male will view the entire space as his territory.
I totally agree with you. I would then rather look for other females to my male gourami and probably add a
school of tetras after removing the silver dollars which would be enough for this tank. Thank you again to all the contributors.

The gourami in the photos is a male dwarf gourami of the red, or flame, variety. Females are plain silver.

And it's not a red 'honey gourami' because it has a turquiose blue dorsal fin typical of red dwarf gouramis.

While you are sleeping they will crawl into your mouth and nostrils while 2 other ones eat your eyes...
They will vacuum you up like algae, sucking every particle of life from you. They will slither in a lethal slime... And will suffocate you with a few leaves they stole from my nana plant and block your throat with it. They will make you inhale their poop...
(moderators, I hope this is not too violent but snails need their revenge too)
death by snails!

Most reactions

Back