30L Biorb Tank!

hi,

If i remember reading correctly 'starter cycle' wont work, its just a way of fish stores making money.
Best thing to do is ask your local fish shop for some 'mature media'.

Regarding shrimp and snails;- Id say start off with around 10 shrimp and a few snails. They will breed fast givin the right conditions. I would advise against Apple Snails as they produce alot of waste and 30L is nbot really ideal if they bred. Something like Ramshorn Snails or Malaysian Trumpet snails would be better.

Live plants can be added in at any time :)

hi,

If i remember reading correctly 'starter cycle' wont work, its just a way of fish stores making money.
Best thing to do is ask your local fish shop for some 'mature media'.

Regarding shrimp and snails;- Id say start off with around 10 shrimp and a few snails. They will breed fast givin the right conditions. I would advise against Apple Snails as they produce alot of waste and 30L is nbot really ideal if they bred. Something like Ramshorn Snails or Malaysian Trumpet snails would be better.

Live plants can be added in at any time :)

the shrimp will breed fast? do i just give them to the pet shop or summit? how many can i keep in a 30l and a 15l?

the starter kit came with tank, i did the starter kit in the other tank and the fish survied so im hoping he should survive this bigger tank. if the fish does get ill i will pop in my 1 month old filter.

thanks

Shrimp will need a mature (old) filter, or they will just die. I seriously woudn't try putting inverts in a tank with no filter.

Yes you can give them to the petshop or sell them on Ebay or the forum etc.

In a 30L i'd start off with 10 and you should see double within a few weeks.

But, as i said i wouldn't bother attempting it if the filter is not cycled and mature. :good:

I have two apple snails in my 30L biorb at the minute with no problems at all. If they breed, you just simply remove and destroy the eggs.

Will your goldfish be going to the 15L once youve cycled the tank? :( I dont think you can keep shrimp and apple snails in cold water tanks - but someone will have to correct me on that.

In your biorb filter, remove the tray of carbon and cram some filter sponge in the box underneath the new filter sponge from your other tank

Is your 15L a baby biorb?

Shrimp and snails are fine at room temp. aslong as it 23C+

If i remember correctly OP said they will be getting a tank heater.

Shrimp will need a mature (old) filter, or they will just die. I seriously woudn't try putting inverts in a tank with no filter.

Yes you can give them to the petshop or sell them on Ebay or the forum etc.

In a 30L i'd start off with 10 and you should see double within a few weeks.

But, as i said i wouldn't bother attempting it if the filter is not cycled and mature. :good:

i will wait a while till the filter is mature, can i have fish in with the 10 shrimp or will there not be enough room?

the tank will have a filter.

I have two apple snails in my 30L biorb at the minute with no problems at all. If they breed, you just simply remove and destroy the eggs.

Will your goldfish be going to the 15L once youve cycled the tank? :( I dont think you can keep shrimp and apple snails in cold water tanks - but someone will have to correct me on that.

In your biorb filter, remove the tray of carbon and cram some filter sponge in the box underneath the new filter sponge from your other tank

Is your 15L a baby biorb?

yeah my 15l is a baby biorb which has the goldfish in at the minute but will be moving to the 30l one tomorrow.

i will put some of the old filter in under the new one tomorrow.

Shrimp and snails are fine at room temp. aslong as it 23C+

If i remember correctly OP said they will be getting a tank heater.

yeah i have a heater

you should swap your goldfish for a Betta. the Betta will do a lot better in the 15L than a goldfish will (plus they are a lot prettier :lol: )

You dont need the carbon in the filter so in my opinion it is better to add more sponge (you can apparently get filter floss cheap off ebay) for more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. I had two sponge rings in my filter.

If you have small fish, you can have the shrimp aswell :) I have 5 shrimp currently and they are doing well

Yep, Shrimp dont add much load to the filter, so you can just stock as if you havent got any shrimp.

Goldfish ideally need ponds. Depending on what type it is it can grow 2 foot :S And im sure it wont be happy living in 15 or 30 litres.

Id also reccomend a betta! :)

you should swap your goldfish for a Betta. the Betta will do a lot better in the 15L than a goldfish will (plus they are a lot prettier :lol: )

You dont need the carbon in the filter so in my opinion it is better to add more sponge (you can apparently get filter floss cheap off ebay) for more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. I had two sponge rings in my filter.

If you have small fish, you can have the shrimp aswell :) I have 5 shrimp currently and they are doing well

im not going to use the 15l, ill be using the 30l after tomorrow. how big are the shrimps and what kind do i get? do the shrimp clean ya tank aswell?

will the shrimp be ok with the gold fish or is the temperature to warm for the gold fish?

did you just squeeze the two sponges together?

cheers

Shrimp are a few CM long. the goldfish will gobble the shrimp up in no time. :lol:

Red cherry shrimp are fairly easy to keep:- http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp/red-cherry-shrimp/

Yep, Shrimp dont add much load to the filter, so you can just stock as if you havent got any shrimp.

Goldfish ideally need ponds. Depending on what type it is it can grow 2 foot :S And im sure it wont be happy living in 15 or 30 litres.

Id also reccomend a betta! :)

is a betta tropical ? lol

a betta is tropical but if your room temp keeps the water high enough then they can survive without and will be happy in your 15L, then you can have more tropical fish in your 30L.
and yes, i just pushed the two pieces of sponge in and closed the lid - its a tight squeeze but it went in

a betta is tropical but if your room temp keeps the water high enough then they can survive without and will be happy in your 15L, then you can have more tropical fish in your 30L.
and yes, i just pushed the two pieces of sponge in and closed the lid - its a tight squeeze but it went in

Don't know if wor lass will let is keep two tanks lol

What's ideal room temperature for beta then? 27? Tbh though, don't think ill keep the 15l tank!

Cheers ill be gettin rid of the carbon pieces and squishin the sponges together then the goldfish should like the new tank! Then when its time for tropical, (maybe weekend) he's goin in a friends pond. :D

not sure on room temp, just whatever keeps your water warm. My tanks between 24-26C atm with the heater on lowest setting and never clicking on, due to warm weather lately :p

yes, i think the goldfish will like the upgrade. Also, you don't have to change the sponges every 3 months or whatever Reef One recommend for the tank. They just try to rob you blind by making you pay for new sponge packs all the time. The ones you have should last a while. They only need rinsing out in old tank water every week or two whilst you clean the tank and only need replacing when they are literally falling apart

Most reactions

Back