30L Biorb Tank!

manutd4life

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
right well my 30l biorb tank is coming the morra with a light and heater and would like some help/advise!

i want to do a fishless cycle so whats the best way to do this, i wont be putting any tropical fish in yet just a cold water fish. is the cycle the same?

also what decoration would you reccommend?

and lastly, how many and what type of tropical fish would you choose?

cheers

If your doing a fishless cycle you shouldn't be putting any fish in for a while yet, coldwater or tropical. You should by some bottled Ammonia from a chemist, this will mimic a fishes waste.

You should decorate it with plants, but not yet. You should also include a small amount of rock (natural or fake) as hiding places. If you are getting any catfish get some bogwood.

James.

If your doing a fishless cycle you shouldn't be putting any fish in for a while yet, coldwater or tropical. You should by some bottled Ammonia from a chemist, this will mimic a fishes waste.

You should decorate it with plants, but not yet. You should also include a small amount of rock (natural or fake) as hiding places. If you are getting any catfish get some bogwood.

James.

i dont think you read my post properly.

James.

Okay, i'll re-read it...

i want to do a fishless cycle so whats the best way to do this, i wont be putting any tropical fish in yet just a cold water fish. is the cycle the same?

'I won't be putting any tropical fish in yet just a cold water fish' <-- that to me says you are planning on putting a goldfish or something in the tank to get the bacteria started?

James.

James.

Okay, i'll re-read it...

'I won't be putting any tropical fish in yet just a cold water fish' <-- that to me says you are planning on putting a goldfish or something in the tank to get the bacteria started?

James.

nm mate, i also said i want help/advise and whats the best way to do a fishless cycle as i dont no how!!!

i may put a fish in afetr the fishless cycle is ready or may do a cycle with the fish in.

What will you do with the poor goldfish once you want tropical fish?

What will you do with the poor goldfish once you want tropical fish?

go in a friends pond or the goldfish may not even enter the 30l tank!

i can see i am getting no where fast on this forum!

Don't think like that mate! If you want to do a fishless cycle, the best thing to do is to feed the bacteria in your filter another way. The best way to do this is to use pure Ammonia, as you may or may not know, Ammonia is a poison what fish produce. Unlike humans they are affected greatly by ammonia poisoning so we must use bacteria to eat that Ammonia so they can live long and happy. This bacteria takes a few months or so to be fully capable of eating all of the ammonia present.
Fishless cycles have no fish whatsoever until the bacteria has managed to eat all the Ammonia several times, then you can add your fish.

A fish in cycle is adding fish before the bacteria is capable of eating the ammonia, but it cannot always manage. That is why you see new fishkeepers losing a lot of fish at first.

James.

Thats all I can give im afraid. There are some good articles on the site giving a more in-depth look at fish-in and fishless cycles, go have a look!

James.

I agree, although when i started fish-keeping i done a fishin cycle. (hadnt come across this forum and had no idea there was such a thing as fish-less)

If you dont want to do a fish-less cycle, why dont you go to your Local fish shop and ask them to donate you some of there filter media. This will have alot of good bacteria on it, and within a week it should be cycled, aslong as its being fed some ammonia (eg fish food in a sock, placed in the tank) Once the Ammonia and Nitrite results stay consistant on 0ppm without having to do a water change you can add a few fish in at a time. Once the fish are in, test the water regularly, and carry out water changes accordingly.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions We are here to help :)

ETA:- Id say lots of live plants with some sort of centre piece ornament. Fish wise, being a Biorb you would be limited. Possibly;-
*male betta with some small snails and shrimp
*a small shoal of Endlers (double check that though)
*Shrimp tank, you could start with around 10, and they will breed within a few weeks given the right conditions. (Good profit)

Also, you will need a tank heater in order to keep tropical fish. Bettas might be ok without one, aslong as your room temp. is 24C-27C. But ideally they should have a heater aswell, to keep the temperature constant.

Don't think like that mate! If you want to do a fishless cycle, the best thing to do is to feed the bacteria in your filter another way. The best way to do this is to use pure Ammonia, as you may or may not know, Ammonia is a poison what fish produce. Unlike humans they are affected greatly by ammonia poisoning so we must use bacteria to eat that Ammonia so they can live long and happy. This bacteria takes a few months or so to be fully capable of eating all of the ammonia present.
Fishless cycles have no fish whatsoever until the bacteria has managed to eat all the Ammonia several times, then you can add your fish.

A fish in cycle is adding fish before the bacteria is capable of eating the ammonia, but it cannot always manage. That is why you see new fishkeepers losing a lot of fish at first.

James.

well i got my first fish last month and did a fish in cycle and he has survived up to now, but i do have a bit of ammonia, think it was 2.4, but i did a quarter of a tank water change on saturday and added a dose of nutrafin cycle and its gone down to 1.2. Gonna do another water change tomorrow but put some of that water in the new tank so it has some of the water the fish is used too. Is that a good idea? i9 have also ordered some water PH test strips to test my tap water!

Thanks for your reply

I agree, although when i started fish-keeping i done a fishin cycle. (hadnt come across this forum and had no idea there was such a thing as fish-less)

If you dont want to do a fish-less cycle, why dont you go to your Local fish shop and ask them to donate you some of there filter media. This will have alot of good bacteria on it, and within a week it should be cycled, aslong as its being fed some ammonia (eg fish food in a sock, placed in the tank) Once the Ammonia and Nitrite results stay consistant on 0ppm without having to do a water change you can add a few fish in at a time. Once the fish are in, test the water regularly, and carry out water changes accordingly.

ETA:- Id say lots of live plants with some sort of centre piece ornament. Fish wise, being a Biorb you would be limited. Possibly;-
*Shrimp tank, you could start with around 10, and they will breed within a few weeks given the right conditions. (Good profit)

Also, you will need a tank heater in order to keep tropical fish. Bettas might be ok without one, aslong as your room temp. is 24C-27C. But ideally they should have a heater aswell, to keep the temperature constant.

when you say filter media, im not really sure what you mean?

you named a few fish, can i add shrimp and fish or one or the other? and snails, would they clean the tank or am i thinking or something else?

oh you say live plants, do these over grow? are they easy to maintain? will they be better for the fish rather than fake plants?

i have a centre piece coming that the filter tube goes through so hopefull get that soon as the new tank is here tomorrow! Also ordered a heater with it too!

Cheers

James.

well i got my first fish last month and did a fish in cycle and he has survived up to now, but i do have a bit of ammonia, think it was 2.4, but i did a quarter of a tank water change on saturday and added a dose of nutrafin cycle and its gone down to 1.2. Gonna do another water change tomorrow but put some of that water in the new tank so it has some of the water the fish is used too. Is that a good idea? i9 have also ordered some water PH test strips to test my tap water!

Thanks for your reply

you named a few fish, can i add shrimp and fish or one or the other? and snails, would they clean the tank or am i thinking or something else?

oh you say live plants, do these over grow? are they easy to maintain? will they be better for the fish rather than fake plants?

i have a centre piece coming that the filter tube goes through so hopefull get that soon as the new tank is here tomorrow! Also ordered a heater with it too!

Cheers

ANY ammonia whatsoever is harmful to fish so you need to be keeping it lower than 0.25ppm. At levels 1ppm and above, ammonia can cause permanent damage within 1 hour.

Andy

Cheers
hi, by filter media i mean sponge.
Snails will clean the tank, they eat left over food and Algea. And yes depending on what fish you keep you can have shrimp too.

Live plants are great, they shouldnt over grow. But you could trim them regularly. They are great for fish as they have Infusoria. They also keep Nitrates down aswell as being good hiding places.

lots more choice with tropical fish!
I read some more posts, LOL! get yourself some nice plants and a small shoaling group of fish, some shrimp, snails and you will have a really nice tank :)

[/quote]

ANY ammonia whatsoever is harmful to fish so you need to be keeping it lower than 0.25ppm. At levels 1ppm and above, ammonia can cause permanent damage within 1 hour.

Andy
[/quote]

what is ppm?

[/quote]
hi, by filter media i mean sponge.
Snails will clean the tank, they eat left over food and Algea. And yes depending on what fish you keep you can have shrimp too.

Live plants are great, they shouldnt over grow. But you could trim them regularly. They are great for fish as they have Infusoria. They also keep Nitrates down aswell as being good hiding places.
[/quote]

can i add live plants at anytime or is there a sequence? what do i need to add live plants?

lots more choice with tropical fish!
I read some more posts, LOL! get yourself some nice plants and a small shoaling group of fish, some shrimp, snails and you will have a really nice tank :)
how many fish,shrimp and snails you recommend mate?

thanks all for the replies, appreciate it

i am going to hang fire on getting tropical fish till i decide what ones to get and until i get a bit more info off you guys!

just to add my 30l is setup and i am doing the 24hour starter cycle that comes with the tank so will be adding the goldfish to his new tank tomorrow, what i also want to know now is, when i decide to get tropical fish can i just add the fish in the tank with water that the goldfish has been using or do i need to do a fresh cycle? also can i add live plants anytime?

sorry for the many questions but want to get this right rather than rush in again!

Most reactions

Back