28 Watt Tube In A Unit Supplying 24 Watts

StandbySetting

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all, currently designing a DIY lighting unit - I don't really want to buy new tubes if I don't need to, I have a 28 Watt Juwel Tube (#41#### them and their dodgy sizes) and if I were to buy a 24 Watt controller do you think it would light the tube? I know only 24 Watts or the equivalent of light will be emitted, I just need to know if it will strike and light.

I don't actually know the answer but I am too going to be DIYing my own hood too, which controller have you gone for? Because I have been looking and the difference between 24w, 39w and 54w are literally a couple of pounds... Just to be on the safe side

I'm probably going to go for a DIY controller, I can build it myself, all I need is a ballast and end caps and I'm only wanting to run a 24 Watt tube.

I can say without reservation that an undersized ballast will be a disappointment when it comes to lighting. I recently replaced a fixture's ballast with a new one because the light tubes were not matching the original ballast well enough. The seemingly slight difference in wattage meant that the tubes would simply not light properly at all. With the new ballast, the light was strikingly bright.

Most reactions

Back