26 gallon 120L JUWEL stocking idea colourful please

The figures you need is 17.08 German degrees (call it 17) This is the same as dH. The other unit used in fishkeeping is ppm, and 17 dH converts to 300 ppm. It is very hard water.

The only way to reduce the hardness is by mixing your tap water with pure water such as reverse osmosis (RO) water. Half and half will give you a GH (hardness) of 8.5.

Livebearers are among the more colourful fish and are ideal if you want lively colourful fish.

Research any fish before buying. Fish shops are notorious for poor advice. The best place is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ looking in particular at the hardness the fish requires and the size of the tank, particularly the length. Since you need to cycle the tank before you can get fish, you have plenty time to research.

The figures you need is 17.08 German degrees (call it 17) This is the same as dH. The other unit used in fishkeeping is ppm, and 17 dH converts to 300 ppm. It is very hard water.

The only way to reduce the hardness is by mixing your tap water with pure water such as reverse osmosis (RO) water. Half and half will give you a GH (hardness) of 8.5.

Livebearers are among the more colourful fish and are ideal if you want lively colourful fish.

Research any fish before buying. Fish shops are notorious for poor advice. The best place is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ looking in particular at the hardness the fish requires and the size of the tank, particularly the length. Since you need to cycle the tank before you can get fish, you have plenty time to research.
Perfect. I ll read up.

How about dwarf cichlids?

I'm afraid dwarf cichlids are from soft water. If you did a 50/50 tap/RO mix it would be OK for sepcies like Apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlids) but not in pure tap water.

I'm afraid dwarf cichlids are from soft water. If you did a 50/50 tap/RO mix it would be OK for sepcies like Apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlids) but not in pure tap water.
i dont mind getting RO water each week, i ll do that so i can have more variety of fish. Does that make me choice a bit wider?

i dont mind getting RO water each week, i ll do that so i can have more variety of fish. Does that make me choice a bit wider?
Yes. It means you could have softer water fish. But it also eliminates the option for guppies and shell dwellers. Most people prefer soft water because there are more fish suited to it

Yes it does. If you did 1/3 tap and 2/3 RO that would reduce the GH to around 6 dH which is even better - but more expensive.

Since you need to cycle the tank before you can buy fish, visit the shops near you that are open and see which fish catch your eye. Make a list, then sit down and look them up on Seriously Fish. Remember you can't have large fish or fast swimming fish with a 60 cm long tanks but there are still lots to choose from.

In the meantime, start cycling!

Or if you want live plants, get them planted and wait till they are growing well, then get fish a few at a time.

Yes, defiantly start cycling your tank. As as @essjay said, live plants will help speed up the process.

Since you need to cycle the tank before you can buy fish, visit the shops near you that are open and see which fish catch your eye. Make a list, then sit down and look them up on Seriously Fish. Remember you can't have large fish or fast swimming fish with a 60 cm long tanks but there are still lots to choose from.

In the meantime, start cycling!
Note that you can use your tap water for this. If you decide to go for soft water fish and RO you can just change the water out just befor moving your chosen fish in.

I looked it up. I would get RO filter to produce my own. It is not gonna cost me a fortune but will be much more convenient.
What do you think?
What fish do you recommend for softer water?

If you use a tap/RO mix, there are so many fish to choose from. Fish from south America and most parts of Asia are soft water fish. There are too many, the list would fill a page :)

The main deciding factor is the shape of the tank. At just 60 cm long you need smallish fish which are sedate swimmers.

There are many species of tetra which would work, or harlequin rasboras (or one of the lookalikes) These are shoaling fish which means you need at least 6 of them
Dwarf cichlids such as one of the species of apistogramma (a male/female pair with the size of your tank)
Honey gouramis or sparkling gouramis (not dwarf gouramis as they have health issues)
If you have sand on the bottom, one of the dwarf corydoras species (they need a group of at least 10)
Not all of these at the same time, just ideas.

For example I have in my tank
These are both sedate swimming, shoaling fish

Some species need softer water than others; choose fish which have the same hardness range and use the amount of RO to give the hardness they need.

I am so grateful. I have learned a lot.

Can you tell me what fish are on the attached images and whether I can have them?
Pic 1 Blue and orange ones.
Pic 2 Blue ones.
Pic 3 Blue on in the right corner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200622-144405_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-144405_Samsung Internet.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20200622-143222_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-143222_Samsung Internet.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20200622-005502_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-005502_YouTube.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 100
Pic 1 - no, sorry. They are boeseman rainbowfish and need a longer tank, at least 120 cm long. But if you ever got a longer tank, they'd be fine in your tap water.

Pic 2 - these are either neon tetras or cardinal tetras, I can't see them closely enough to say which ones they are. Both fine for your tank size, both need soft water so fine if you use a tap/RO mix. Neons need water on the cool side, cardinals a bit warmer so tank mates should be chosen to match the temp needs of whichever one.

Pic 3 - I have no idea what that blue fish is :blush:

Most reactions

Back