24X18X18

Ehudd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got everything for it already from my old standard 2ft tank. But i will be finally using a sump.

My question is, where would best suit the holes? Should i drill the bottom of the back panel. Personal experience would be good :)

Because the tank isnt big, you wont need to have to drill at both sides of the tank. My current tank has been drilled in the centre, but this looks unsightly and also makes aquascaping more difficult. Decide which side of the tank the pipe from your return pump will go in and drill the opposite side to this.
Are you planning on attaching a pipe to the drilled hole or having a weir constructed?

josh

Because the tank isnt big, you wont need to have to drill at both sides of the tank. My current tank has been drilled in the centre, but this looks unsightly and also makes aquascaping more difficult. Decide which side of the tank the pipe from your return pump will go in and drill the opposite side to this.
Are you planning on attaching a pipe to the drilled hole or having a weir constructed?

josh
I'm thinking just a pipe or would a weir be better

They both do the same job, but a weir is much more pleasing to the eye. Also, fish are more likley to get sucked down the pipe. Then again, most fish par pipe fish ect will easily be able to fight the suction. Its down to your preference really. I personally would go for a weir. But its more work because you have to get glass pannels and seal them together ect.

josh

Me personally I would go for a weir every time :good: over just a duso in the tank :blink: . it would always be in the back of my mind, what if that bulk head seal failed the entire water content of the tank would just dump striate out onto the carpet. at least with a weir system you have 2 seals and if the seal goes in the weir you will see the water in the weir and the tank level out indicating a breech in the weire walls or if the bulk head fails you will see the water dripping into your sump either way it would be a lot less messy and much easier to repair

Me personally I would go for a weir every time :good: over just a duso in the tank :blink: . it would always be in the back of my mind, what if that bulk head seal failed the entire water content of the tank would just dump striate out onto the carpet. at least with a weir system you have 2 seals and if the seal goes in the weir you will see the water in the weir and the tank level out indicating a breech in the weire walls or if the bulk head fails you will see the water dripping into your sump either way it would be a lot less messy and much easier to repair

thanks for the replies from both of you. Weir would be a better option, and i may use one later. But for little glass panels the fish store is charging me a fortune and i cant be bothered with it. Its going to be a 25mm hole. Is there a rule of thumb to how high or low the hole should be from the top of the glass? and how far apart both holes should be?

Im very new to the whole sump idea. A good design for a sump would also be good. I cant go any bigger than a 2ft sump and my stand i am making will only be 2ft. And thats a whole new thread :p

Why are you getting the glass pains from the LFS? just 6mm float glass cut to size from a local glass supplier will be fine, and anything more that £15 for it will be extortionate... Going rate round here would be nearer £10...

A 25mm hole, what size pipe are you fitting to it? I'll assume you mean 22.5mm (standard 1" overflow) pipe-work and hence 28mm hole and that the above was a typo ;) Without a weir, you need to adjust the height according to how much flow the hole will be taking. Any ideas? As always, however, two holed will be better than one from a safety point of view :nod:

Why are you getting the glass pains from the LFS? just 6mm float glass cut to size from a local glass supplier will be fine, and anything more that £15 for it will be extortionate... Going rate round here would be nearer £10...

A 25mm hole, what size pipe are you fitting to it? I'll assume you mean 22.5mm (standard 1" overflow) pipe-work and hence 28mm hole and that the above was a typo ;) Without a weir, you need to adjust the height according to how much flow the hole will be taking. Any ideas? As always, however, two holed will be better than one from a safety point of view :nod:

my mistake the holes will actually be 35mm

my mistake the holes will actually be 35mm

The larger the downpipe the quiter the noise will be with the durso in place. I used 25mm pipe on my nano tank which wasn't really adequate for the pump. The pipe could handle the flow of water but because of the narrow opening, it was really sucking the air down, even with the durso to quiten it. A larger pipe will mean the water will trickle down without causing such a suction of air.

I would also recommend a weir. If the tank should crack around the drill hole at a later stage, it will mean your tank won't empty its entire contents down to that point. With a weir boxing the downpipe in, you take away a significant amount of pressure around the site of the drilled hole.

Most reactions

Back