Building 75G Stand

Buddy !!!
The particleboard sides are attached with cam locks, I followed the instructions that came with that terrible stand and didn't use any glue.

I have completed most of the new stand and used wood glue and deck screws to create the 2x4 frame and attach the exterior plywood sides. Now I have to make and attach plywood cutouts to the front for the doors. I am going to attempt to create and design ADA-style doors for it with piano hinges. However, the frame has a small gap between 2 of the legs and the plywood top. These 2 legs are both on the same side and there are 6 more that are flush with the plywood top. 2 other legs are flush with the top on the same side and all 4 on the other side are flush with it also. Would this be a problem?

Also, I should be finished with it by the end of this week. As requested I will send pictures when done

That's "Hard core" !!! 👍 👍 👍

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement :) That's an incredible stand you've made btw. To fix the gap, I'll cut a small piece from an extra 2x4 to fill it and screw it in. That should make everything even and strong.

I need some more advice on my new aquarium stand. As I mentioned before, I drilled two 3.75-inch holes in the top of my current stand to fit the bulkheads and plugs from my tank. The bulkheads and plugs stick out more than the bottom of the tank’s rim, so that's why I had to make room for them.

With my new stand, I’m worried about getting the holes lined up perfectly. If they’re even a bit off, the bulkheads and plugs could hit the stand and crack the bottom of the tank. Since the new stand is taller, it’s even harder to get the alignment right. It going to be heavy, as I plan to move it with the sandbed and just enough water to barely cover it.

To avoid this, I’m thinking of cutting a larger rectangle in the middle of the new stand’s top. The cutout would be 10x7 inches, placed about 2.5 inches from the edge or 1 inch from the 2x4 frame. This should give plenty of space for the bulkheads and plugs, even if my measurements aren’t perfect.

I’ve attached pictures of the current holes and the bulkheads and plugs, as well as a sketch of the planned cutout.

Do you think this larger cutout is a good idea to make sure everything fits without risking damage to the tank?
One more thing I forgot to mention: The tank has a plastic rim on the bottom but no rim (rimless) on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpg
    IMG_8475.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8472.jpg
    IMG_8472.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8438.jpg
    IMG_8438.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Most reactions