20Gal Long Planted Community Shrimp Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

W1ngz

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Just getting started, about 2 weeks in on a fishless cycle.

Right now there's not much in there aside from bacteria, a little struggling Bolbitis baby leaf fern, a moss ball and some valisneria (jungle val) in one corner. Both seem to be dying off, but I'm hoping it's just an adjustment period from store tank to my tank. I've been adding about 2ml of fertilizer (a mix of macros and micros based on the guaranteed analysis of CSM+B). Easy enough to manage, as I work for a large fertilizer manufacturer, and have access to small quantities of soluble and granular ingredients.

Plant wise, to come is probably just some java moss and dwarf hairgrass. I don't want anything that will grow too tall, as the tank is viewable from both sides.

Fish wise, this will be a community shrimp tank. most of my advice is coming from my brother in law for the moment, and he will be giving be a handful of Red Cherry shrimp once my water chemistry stabilizes. I may add the shrimp first and allow them to breed a bit before adding fish, just to make sure they have a chance to establish a decent colony. Another option I'm considering is a hang on breeding tank where I can put the pregnant shrimp, to protect the survival rate a little. I'm not terribly concerned if a few of the neighbors start eating each other once in a while, because quite frankly, I'm establishing an eco system, and that's just part of how life works. I do hope to avoid anything that might result in an all out massacre. 

Along with the shrimp, I plan to put at least 2 types of smaller, peaceful fish. I'm trying to decide if it will look better with 3 or 4 schools of 5-6 different fish, or two larger schools of 10-12 fish each.

On my short list right now is:
Cardinal Tetras
Zebra Danios
White Clouds
Clown Killifish
Harlequin Rasboras

Attachments

• IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 94
seems like a solid plan.  i like the sunken wreck theme you have going adding those couple more plants would really make the tank pop.  maybe look into some java mass to have it grow all over the structure behind the plane. im a fan of the cardinal tetras although they work and look best in groups of 10 or more.  they would also color coordinate with your cherry shrimp nicely IMO.  Best of luck with your new tank hope it all works out as planned.  

I have Harlequins myself, and i recommend them, they are full of character and do look nice when swimming in a group.

Also, Feeding Harlequins bloodworm will really get their rosy color to come out!! (This had worked for me anyway)

I can only say: more plants! Shrimp and many fish love heavily planted tanks.

More plants is a problem, I'm having trouble keeping the two I have alive!

I've been adding a few (1-2) ml of fertilizer each day, but can't help wonder if the carbon in the filter is pulling them out of the water before the plants get it. I've sliced open the cartridge and dumped the carbon for now.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/429102-carbon-or-no-carbon/

I think I may have changed the balance of things with at least one plant. The problem may be lighting. This morning I decided to place a small halogen desk lamp on the corner of the tank where the valisneria is, and this afternoon as I was cleaning the counter where the tank is, I noticed the occasional bubble being released from the base of the plant. Being so new, I've spent quite a bit of time staring in there, and this is the first time I've seen a bubble come up from the plant. I can only hope that this is O2 being released from some photosynthesis. If so, it seems I'm going to have to shop for some better lighting. 

Working a little more to eliminate species off my short list, it seems the White Cloud Mountain Minnow prefers slightly lower temperatures, as well as pH, than my tank is rigged for. Tolerant of a wide range of parameters, but more active and likely to breed in lower conditions. I'll strike them off my list, as I'm expecting about 26deg C and a pH of 7.5 or so.

Looks good, you do need more plants for shrimp, especially moss & fine leaved plants like cabomba.
I wouldn't use a trap for the shrimp it's too stressful for them & they will drop their eggs if conditions aren't perfect.
New baby shrimp are extremely good at hiding if they have enough plant cover & tbh cherries breed like rabbits so if a few do get eaten it won't have a huge effect on their population

More plants are coming, once I figure out how to keep the two I have alive. Right now I'm failing miserably at that. 

Make sure when you get your new plants that they're washed thoroughly as there have been instances of shrimp wipeouts after adding new plants, the suspect being pesticides or copper on the plants

Thanks for the input!
My brother in law is going to be giving me a few shrimp and some java moss from his established tank, so that particular bit of carnage isn't likely to happen.

Almost there, my nitrite test today came back around .5 or 1ppm, down from 2 days ago when it was too purple to tell even diluted to 25%! With a little luck I'll read 0 tomorrow night, dose ammonia and see how it looks Friday. I might have fish this weekend! :D

Hi! Looks like you are on the right track!
Plants are tough to tend for! If you have a cheap light or LED, you are good to go with low light plants, altho they wont produce much o2, they will help with water quality as well! :)

I actually added to my lighting this week, having a 'cheap' LED (Beamswork LED400), and noticing my plants weren't doing so well, I scavenged some household lighting as a stop-gap to test the results. I used an old under shelf 15W fluorescent, as well as little halogen desk lamp. After seeing my plants beginning to perk up a little, I decided to add a Current USA Satellite LED+ 24"-30".

I couldn't resist a quick nitrite test this morning (A whole 10 hours after my previous one), and while not yet 0, it was a light purple, most definitely in the 0.25PPM range. I expect 0 tonight, so will add some ammonia and see how quickly I get back to 0 ammonia and nitrite. I expect a big water change, and a trip to the fish store on Saturday.

More pics to come, but I added some narrow leaf java fern to my driftwood last night, stuffing and tying the roots down into several small holes all the way along it.

My ammonia and nitrite also finally hit the 0/0 mark! Did a big water change to push the nitrates down, but mostly to clear up a lot of the debris that was floating about from the bacteria and fish food that I had originally started cycling with. Hopefulyl things will get back to 0/0 quickly, so I can do another small water change and get some critters in there!

the score so far is learning curve 1, me 0. I did NOT think it would take a whole month before I was able to get fish into a fish tank.

Most reactions

Back