20 Gallon Glowlight Tetra Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes and no. The species occurs in certain tributary streams of the Essequibo River. These streams are, so far as I know, in heavily forested areas. The South American rainforest goes through two very different seasons each year; the wet or rain season which lasts roughly six months, and the dry season which is also six months. The rains when they suddenly start are heavy and last for weeks and the water courses rapidly rise and flood the surrounding forest, in places more than 12 feet deep. The fish move into these flooded forests to spawn because food (insects, larvae, worms, fruits, etc) is plentiful, they have lots of cover to protect the eggs/fry, and plenty of space so more will survive.

So you could do a relatively-authentic aquascape replicating the streams (floating plants to replicate the forest canopy cover, no lower plants but dried leaves, branches, wood chunks on sand), or you could do a "flooded forest" aquascape which would have sand, wood (standing chunks can represent tree trunks), branches, dried leaves, and substrate-rooted plants. Floating plants still for shade.

This citation is from Seriously Fish's profile of this species:
If you really want to see it at its best, you could set up a biotope tank. Use a substrate of river sand and add a few driftwood branches (if you can’t find driftwood of the desired shape, common beech is safe to use if thoroughly dried and stripped of bark) and twisted roots. A few handfuls of dried leaves (again beech can be used, or oak leaves are also suitable) would complete the natural feel. Allow the wood and leaves to stain the water the colour of weak tea, removing old leaves and replacing them every few weeks so they don’t rot and foul the water. A small net bag filled with aquarium-safe peat can be added to the filter to aid in the simulation of black water conditions. Use fairly dim lighting. Under these conditions the true beauty of the fish will be revealed.​

Do you think darkwater would still exist in the newly flooded area of the forest with all the rain water or would it look more clear?

This is basically adding up to what we have been mentioning then.
River sand, floating plants, little or no substrate plants, plenty of leaf litter, big driftwood pieces.
I think that I’m overthinking the glowlights tankmates too much and am confusing myself.

Do you think darkwater would still exist in the newly flooded area of the forest with all the rain water or would it look more clear?
Blackwater still exists during the wet season but it is significantly diluted. Instead of being coffee coloured it becomes a weak tea with a pale brown tint.

A lot of the plant matter that is covered in water during the wet season dies and breaks down and that releases tannins into the water. And any dead branches that have fallen from trees will release tannins. So there is still some tannin staining being produced during the wet season.

Blackwater still exists during the wet season but it is significantly diluted. Instead of being coffee coloured it becomes a weak tea with a pale brown tint.

A lot of the plant matter that is covered in water during the wet season dies and breaks down and that releases tannins into the water. And any dead branches that have fallen from trees will release tannins. So there is still some tannin staining being produced during the wet season.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking, it would be very light early in the wet season growing darker as the season goes on. Would there be a stronger current or more like just sitting water in the newly flooded area.

Vallis doesn't like soft acid water and struggles in blackwater.
Well actually...
20200311_201713.jpg

This tank has GH=KH=0 and pH around 5.5. I do use root tabs and the vals don't go as crazy as in hard water but they are thriving. In fairness they do attract a fair bit of algae but its the first place the otos go to feed :).
FWIW the hygrophila at the back is costata.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, it would be very light early in the wet season growing darker as the season goes on. Would there be a stronger current or more like just sitting water in the newly flooded area.

The effect of the flooding on the water clarity is something into which I have not delved (maybe I should!) but Colin answered that question. As for water current, the flooded forest is much calmer than the rivers and streams, going by the videos I have seen taken underwater.

This is basically adding up to what we have been mentioning then.
River sand, floating plants, little or no substrate plants, plenty of leaf litter, big driftwood pieces.
I think that I’m overthinking the glowlights tankmates too much and am confusing myself.

These conditions generally apply to all soft water/blackwater watercourses in South America. If one wants to be true to the authentic biotope of a species, then you will be into other species of fish (if any), and specific plant species. The latter can get very difficult to track down.

But all of these fish will live in similar environments. There are blackwater, whitewater and clearwater ecosystems within the rainforest. Most whitewater rivers have headwaters in the Andes and carry heavy sediment loads. Blackwater and clearwater rivers arise in the lowlands and transport relatively few sediments and are nutrient‐poor (Goulding, et al, "Ecosystem-based management of Amazon fisheries and wetlands," Encyclopedia of Water, online article October 2018). Dr. Goulding is one of the most knowledgeable authorities on Amazonas. The map below comes from that article, as does the schematic of high/low water. The left photo below the map shows the confluence of the Rio Negro and the main Amazon River, and another is below. The Rio Negro is the largest blackwater river on this planet, and the sheer volume of water these two rivers carry results in the two types not mixing for some considerable distance.

Attachments

• Amazon Basin River Types.jpg
    Amazon Basin River Types.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 74
  • High & Low Water.jpg
    High & Low Water.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Rio Negro & Amazon meeting.jpg
    Rio Negro & Amazon meeting.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 68
  • Rio Negro & Amazon meeting2.jpg
    Rio Negro & Amazon meeting2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 83
These conditions generally apply to all soft water/blackwater watercourses in South America. If one wants to be true to the authentic biotope of a species, then you will be into other species of fish (if any), and specific plant species. The latter can get very difficult to track down.

But all of these fish will live in similar environments. There are blackwater, whitewater and clearwater ecosystems within the rainforest. Most whitewater rivers have headwaters in the Andes and carry heavy sediment loads. Blackwater and clearwater rivers arise in the lowlands and transport relatively few sediments and are nutrient‐poor (Goulding, et al, "Ecosystem-based management of Amazon fisheries and wetlands," Encyclopedia of Water, online article October 2018). Dr. Goulding is one of the most knowledgeable authorities on Amazonas. The map below comes from that article, as does the schematic of high/low water. The left photo below the map shows the confluence of the Rio Negro and the main Amazon River, and another is below. The Rio Negro is the largest blackwater river on this planet, and the sheer volume of water these two rivers carry results in the two types not mixing for some considerable distance.

That interface between the two is stark!! It’s amazing.
I’m gathering then that it’s going to be nearly impossible to get local tankmates then outside of typical Amazon Blackwater inhabitants?

That interface between the two is stark!! It’s amazing.
I’m gathering then that it’s going to be nearly impossible to get local tankmates then outside of typical Amazon Blackwater inhabitants?

There are probably resources somewhere that list the native fishes of specific watercourses, if one hunts for them. Of course, here we have a species that lives in certain tributaries of the Rio Essequibo--but which ones, and have they even been named? I was watching a programme on PBS the other evening of an explorer who went exploring in an area of the rainforest in Guyana (where this river system is) which had never been seen by any human being until now. The wealth of fish and animal life they saw was incredible; one of the last truely pure ecosystems...but for how long, one wonders? Obviously the tributaries that are home to this fish have been seen, or we would not have the fish. But the question is still, which tributary, and what other fish live there?

There is where the late ichthyologist Jacques Gery would be helpful. Dr. Gery was the authority on characins for the last half of the 20th century. Upon his passing in 2005, his great friend Heiko Bleher--who has discovered more than 5,000 species of fish-- wrote an obituary, in which he illustrated Dr. Gery's incredible knowledge by relating that you could name any river and he could tell you, from memory, all the fish species it contained, so far as was known.

What would be your suggestion for the botanicals, wood, and litter to create the black water effect if I don’t have the access/ability to dry my own?
Amazon? Tanninaquatics?
I apologize for all the questions. I genuinely am a novice trying to learn all I can

Well actually...
View attachment 99118
This tank has GH=KH=0 and pH around 5.5. I do use root tabs and the vals don't go as crazy as in hard water but they are thriving. In fairness they do attract a fair bit of algae but its the first place the otos go to feed :).
I dont know how you guys get away with zero GH my plants start growing all spindly and weird leaves without any calcium/magnesium. I still have really low GH and low PH and KH but my plants arent fans of zero GH.

What would be your suggestion for the botanicals, wood, and litter to create the black water effect if I don’t have the access/ability to dry my own?
Amazon? Tanninaquatics?
I apologize for all the questions. I genuinely am a novice trying to learn all I can
Not sure its still on the market but one used to be able to purchase aquarium safe peat that came in a cartridge insert for the filter. Or one could just by some peat moss put it in a filter sock put it in your filter unless you have moral objections to it

Well actually...
View attachment 99118
Still love the way your tank looks, the hanging roots looks great, I have to replace my hornwort with that in my tank but my glow light fry seem to like the hornwort. They are starting to get brave and come out at feeding time. They grab the food and run. :fish:

I dont know how you guys get away with zero GH my plants start growing all spindly and weird leaves without any calcium/magnesium. I still have really low GH and low PH and KH but my plants arent fans of zero GH.

First thing is that it is possible to supplement/supply the nutrients. I have zero GH/KH and a pH that is below 5 in some tanks, in the 5's in others. I used to use Equilibrium to raise the GH to 4 or 5 dGH. The plant sources generally say 4 dGH is as low as you want. Then I had an issue in one of my tanks with the fish, and a marine biologist asked me point blank why I was using Equilbirum, and did I not realize what it could do to fish? I discontinued Equilibrium, but started using Flourish Tabs every alternate month. That was four or five years ago, and to date I have had no calcium deficiencies like I had before any of this. So, the tabs with one dose of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement provides the hard minerals along with the trace.

Second thing is the plant species. I have mentioned in other threads that I stay with plants that can manage with what I provide in terms of light and nutrients. I cannot grow fast growing lower plants or red leaf plants. But I can grow healthy swords, like in the photo below. This photo was taken last week, and I put one Flourish Tab next to each of the sword plants, replaced every three months now. Plus one weekly dose of the liquid. My camera is on its last legs, but you can see the situation nevertheless.

First thing is that it is possible to supplement/supply the nutrients. I have zero GH/KH and a pH that is below 5 in some tanks, in the 5's in others. I used to use Equilibrium to raise the GH to 4 or 5 dGH. The plant sources generally say 4 dGH is as low as you want. Then I had an issue in one of my tanks with the fish, and a marine biologist asked me point blank why I was using Equilbirum, and did I not realize what it could do to fish? I discontinued Equilibrium, but started using Flourish Tabs every alternate month. That was four or five years ago, and to date I have had no calcium deficiencies like I had before any of this. So, the tabs with one dose of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement provides the hard minerals along with the trace.

Second thing is the plant species. I have mentioned in other threads that I stay with plants that can manage with what I provide in terms of light and nutrients. I cannot grow fast growing lower plants or red leaf plants. But I can grow healthy swords, like in the photo below. This photo was taken last week, and I put one Flourish Tab next to each of the sword plants, replaced every three months now. Plus one weekly dose of the liquid. My camera is on its last legs, but you can see the situation nevertheless.
Maybe the spindly leaves on my swords were due to them being new. I use seachem root tabs as well and i use easy green from aquarium co op as my liquid fert and when do my weekly water changes i add calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate that brings the GH to about 4 DGH though im slowly adding less in an attempt to bring the GH down. Maybe the spindly leaves on my swords were due more to being in a new tank than not Because your swords look great without the added calcium.i also used equilibrium back in the day the Lfs said i needed it to remineralize the water but it never seemed very beneficial to my plants and it was pricey for a little jar.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back