2 sudden deaths in a day.

Odd update for anyone who cares. My last cichlid had the same symptoms last night as the other two and I thought she was done. I turned the light off and walked away. My wife and I were contemplating euthanising her as we didnt want to see her suffer. But i checked her out a while later and she seemed to have come out of it. At first her face went a darker color like the other two, and she was swimming crazily like the other two, but now shes back to normal. Her face is still dark but she is alive the next day. Very strange.
I was watching her at the time when she started showing the symptoms, she had caught my atttention by swimming high in the tank (something she never does) then started darting around crazily and picking at the gravel. She seemed to be gasping for air. Is it possible for them to choke on a piece of gravel or something? Very strange and as stated earlier the Pleco is still just fine. One other possibility I've pondered is the food. I was feeding them the color enhancing blend of flake that came with the tank until it ran out, then the lfs suggested their bulk bag of flake. I didnt notice the deaths until AFTER the food change. Is that a possible cause? Since the pleco doesnt eat that food it would seem plausible to me. Just trying to piece it together. TIA for any info. =]

Do an immediate water change, what are your test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

=] Just got back from the lfs and he tested the water. THe Nitrite is through the roof. I was instructed to leave it a week and not to feed. He also said not to water change for now as that would just prolong the process. :sick:

It's a good sign that your nitrite have risen, but it toxic to fish if they are gasping at the top of the tank or not coping do an immediate water change or you will lose the fish, good luck.

Ok i took some of the gravel from my old tank and out and put it in the new tank to help the cycle process. I tested the old tank again today and its at least 1.6 for nitrite. I read u can put that salt in the water to help with the Nitrite can anyone cosign that? Any other tips for cycling the new tank?

My wife and I were contemplating euthanising her as we didnt want to see her suffer.

I know I may catch flack for this, but I no longer believe in euthanising fish. I used to do it once in a while, mostly by putting them in ice in a freezer, but I've just seen to many times where fish are able to pull out of things. If it only happens 10 percent of the time, which is a low estimate, that is worth it to me. I like to let nature take its course. Hope your decision ends up making you happy. Know this was kinda a side note, sorry for blabbing.

Just tried explaining fishless cyclingto the lfs guy and he told me he never heard of much results from such a thing and that he would NEVER put ammonia in a tank. He the proceded to tell me he had heard of putting a dead fish in the tank to quicken the process. I personally dont think he knows what hes talkin bout. Just thought i would throw that in there as someone might get a laugh out of it. As for the euthanising i agree with the nature taking its course thing entirely but if Im the cause of their suffering it isnt natural causes and IF it's DEFINATELY going to die I'd rather save it the suffering. =] But I'm glad we chose not to.

Put the fish in a tank with the lowest ammonia and nitrite reading.

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply =] The lfs told me I'd just really need the Nitrite test kit.
Knew I shouldnt have listened to him. hehe Ill grab an amonia test kit asap. But the new tank is DEFINATELY lower in Nitrite.

Ok the electric yellow is in. Cross your fins and pray to the fishy gods. =] I put her favorite cave in there for her and she found it quickly and is chillin in it. If she does ok over the next few hours the pleco will follow. :crazy:

Fingers crossed for you. X

Most reactions

Back