2 Maybe 3 Fish Dead

Peter C

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Came home from the girlfriends this morning and found 3 endlers guppies missing

1 was swimming erratically then rolling over and looking dead then swimming then dead so I fished him out

Found the second one belly up underneath the pump

God knows where the third one is

Done all my water tests nd nothing's changed

Zero ammonia
8 ph
Zero nitrate
Zero nitrite

Dunno why they've died?

with these test results it seems that your filter hasnt been cycled. the reason i say this is due to the nitrates being 0. so unless you have a very densly planted tank this is where it points me :unsure:

Zero ammonia
8 ph
Zero nitrate
Zero nitrite

how long has the tank been set up for?

how was the filter cycled?

what else is in the tank?

Iv got a fair few plants like, about 10-12 bunches with about 6 different types

Tanks been running for about a month now maybe a tiny bit less

Had some of the plants in for about a week before I put 2 or 3 guppies in

They were in a week or so then I bought the rest

Done regular water tests over the last week (since the testing kit arrived) and they've constantly showed the results I was led to believe I was looking for

Ie low to zero ammonia, nitrate and nitrite

54e035d4.jpg

Excuse the reelection, tanks in the conservatory and I use it to dry washing lol

Gives you an idea of the plants and setup etc

Try giving bottle number two on the nitrate test several good whacks on the desk and shake it vigorously for a full minute. The test solution tends to solidify giving false low readings.

This is assuming you're using a liquid test kit, which if you're not, you should be. :p

Try giving bottle number two on the nitrate test several good whacks on the desk and shake it vigorously for a full minute. The test solution tends to solidify giving false low readings.

This is assuming you're using a liquid test kit, which if you're not, you should be. :p

Il give it a bash after breakfast

Yeah liquid pal

even if there is a slight trace of ammonia then do a water change to get it back to 0ppm. the tank is still very young so keep a good eye out for any spikes in the water. i wouldnt add any more fish for a couple of weeks or until your sure that the tank is stable.

as CezzaXV siad the 2nd nitrate bottle can give false readings if not given a real good shake. you may look daft doing it but you will get the results on a more accurate scale :good:

Just done a second test on nitrate and still 0ppm

Banged hell out of the bottle, then shook it senseless!

It's bight yellow and not a chance is it going to turn red or orange!

try doing the test on the tap water to see what results you get Peter. if the stocking of the tank is minimal then the plants may be taking care of it for you.

i do feel though that the filter hasnt had enough time to cycle so beware of nitrite spikes. keep an eye on it :good:

try doing the test on the tap water to see what results you get Peter. if the stocking of the tank is minimal then the plants may be taking care of it for you.

i do feel though that the filter hasnt had enough time to cycle so beware of nitrite spikes. keep an eye on it :good:

I reckon the plants are doing the job for me to be honest as I have more plants than fish!

Yeah I only really understood the whole cycle thing after I had a few fish in (about 4) and learned that they would help make the cycle so I waited a good couple of weeks before I put some more fish and plants in

Tap water is the same result as the tank, just with 0.25 ammonia instead of zero

And I reckon I'm about my limit on fish, itl be too crowded if I put any more in

Hello neighbour! That's interesting because I'm sure I got a reading of 40 (but maybe 20...i have a nightmare reading the nitrate test) from my tapwater, I may be wrong, I haven't checked it in ages! But it may vary across the town!

Hello neighbour! That's interesting because I'm sure I got a reading of 40 (but maybe 20...i have a nightmare reading the nitrate test) from my tapwater, I may be wrong, I haven't checked it in ages! But it may vary across the town!
I'm in ca3 up by the gosling bridge. Don't know if it will make much of a difference as our water comes from willow Holme so could be the pipes maybe?

I'm over near Caldewgate. I've got no idea really but it's kind of interesting!

Most reactions

Back