1x Puffer, 2x Keyhole Cichlids, 1x Pleco

pandacichlid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just wondering if these fish will live happily together for awhile in my 3-4foot tank, dwarf puffer(not the aggressive kind), two keyhole cichlids and one albino pleco. I am assuming these lot will be fine together, but I want to know what you guys think to these four fish. I will get the name of the puffer from my fish store he's amazing v.peaceful. Marquatics in Sherwood nottingham have a discus display tank and he's added these puffers in with them and have been fine with the discus and have eaten all the snails in the tank :)

I added my keyholes and pleco together, but I added my puffer the other day and I have one dominant keyhole of the two and initially nipped the puffer on two occasions, this is normal? They're ok with each other now! :good:

what do you guys think?
cheers

I would assume that is absolutely not compatible by what I have heard of puffers (Highly aggressive the plec would need to be big...)...also most are brackish...so I very much doubt it

I would assume that is absolutely not compatible by what I have heard of puffers (Highly aggressive the plec would need to be big...)...also most are brackish...so I very much doubt it
I do understand what you've sed by that, however I know the person from my local fish shop well and he sed alot of dwarf puffers are aggressive and constantly nip other fish, but these ones are different cus they're in with plecos, gold severums and they're ok with them in the shop and the dicus haven't been bothered at all and they tend to fin nip aggressive puffers do. No, these puffers are completely fresh water and like soft acidic water according to the breader of the puffers. Thanks for the advice m'friend I'll read up on these puffers :)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN
there you are m'friend, these puffers are the complete opposite to other dwarf puffers and are completely freshwater. Marquatics wouldn't sell me something that wouldn't be compatible :good:

Actually, most puffers are FW or SW, very few are brackish. It's a common misconception.
The DP would be better off in a group. And should definately not be kept with cichlids.

I'd take him out before one or the other gets shredded.

Cheers,

Maximus

I think you are miss labeling the puffer. Dwarf Puffer is a common name for the species Carinotetraodon travancoricus and does not appear to be the species your after. As your link suggest what your really after is a South American Puffer the scientific name is Colomesus asellus. If the SAP is what your getting here are my suggestions. Get a group say 3 and make sure you get them all at the same time. Your tank must be fully cycled and nitrates consistently low (30ppm or less), Puffers are very sensitive to water conditions. You must feed snails to them on a regular basis, there tooth grows at a very quick rate. The snails will help keep the tooth trimmed, other wise it will need to be done by hand which is tough on the fish. Provide a lot of cover (greenery and hiding spots). They are in fact a freshwater species. Follow these simple steps and you should have no problems.

I think you are miss labeling the puffer. Dwarf Puffer is a common name for the species Carinotetraodon travancoricus and does not appear to be the species your after. As your link suggest what your really after is a South American Puffer the scientific name is Colomesus asellus. If the SAP is what your getting here are my suggestions. Get a group say 3 and make sure you get them all at the same time. Your tank must be fully cycled and nitrates consistently low (30ppm or less), Puffers are very sensitive to water conditions. You must feed snails to them on a regular basis, there tooth grows at a very quick rate. The snails will help keep the tooth trimmed, other wise it will need to be done by hand which is tough on the fish. Provide a lot of cover (greenery and hiding spots). They are in fact a freshwater species. Follow these simple steps and you should have no problems.
You are correct what you've sed :) my tank is fully cycled yeah and the cichlids have no problems with the puffers at all I have two now and will add two more at a later date. thanks for the advice, v.helpful.:good:
Actually, most puffers are FW or SW, very few are brackish. It's a common misconception.The DP would be better off in a group. And should definately not be kept with cichlids.I'd take him out before one or the other gets shredded.Cheers,Maximus
What will get shredderd? Well, the person I got them from has a display tank full of discus and has had no problems at all with them plus he sells them from a tank with Severums. Plus, the only thing my cichlids have done is investigate on my 1st puffer when i addded him just to warm it probably and they haven't bothered with the other new puffer. I think they'll be fine, but thanks for the advice.Why would they get attacked?:good:

nah, not these puffers they're amazon puffers and can live happily in a community tank. Not a typical dwarf puffer! look 'em up! :good:
thanks!

nah, not these puffers they're amazon puffers and can live happily in a community tank. Not a typical dwarf puffer! look 'em up! :good:
thanks!

Either the puffer or cichlid could get shredded :good:

If you "looked them up", you'd see that your completely wrong in your assumptions.

thanks!

If you "looked them up", you'd see that your completely wrong in your assumptions.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/Puff...mazonPuffer.php
if there are any problems with them I'll let you know, but I don't think there will be. I can almost guarantee it!
thanks for the advice.
all they seem to do is follow their own reflections haha
:good:

thanks!

if there are any problems with them I'll let you know, but I don't think there will be. I can almost guarantee it!
thanks for the advice.

Right, seems you have a SAP. Thats NOT a DP. It'll get to 5" and has some serious teething problems if
not fed a constant supply of hard shelled foods.
Most SAP owners have to do some dental clipping a few times a year.
SAP's are also a shoaling fish, preferring to be in groups.

If it's following its own reflection, that's not really a good sign :/

It means it's bored or wants to get out of the environment it's in.

If you don't believe me, or just want more information/advise, go over to www.#### <To the people who know what their talking about.

Explain your situation to them, and I'm sure you'll get the same response.

EDIT: Oops, seems it's a competing forum. Google "puffer forum"...

Cheers,

Maximus

thanks!

thanks for the advice.

Right, seems you have a SAP. Thats NOT a DP. It'll get to 5" and has some serious teething problems if
not fed a constant supply of hard shelled foods.
Most SAP owners have to do some dental clipping a few times a year.
SAP's are also a shoaling fish, preferring to be in groups.

If it's following its own reflection, that's not really a good sign :/

It means it's bored or wants to get out of the environment it's in.

If you don't believe me, or just want more information/advise, go over to www.#### <To the people who know what their talking about.

Explain your situation to them, and I'm sure you'll get the same response.

EDIT: Oops, seems it's a competing forum. Google "puffer forum"...

Cheers,

Maximus
Like I sed before the puffers are in large groups at marquatics in sherwood notts and they all follow their reflections and there's like 20 puffers in there, so how can they be that bored.
Plus, like I sed b4 they're in a really large aquarium with discus, the tanks heavily planted and has lots of hiding places and they still follow their reflections.It's normal behaviour. My keyholes swim with the puffers and also follow their reflections sometimes, but not often
like I sed already I'll beleave you when they've died or look unhappy. I have a few snails and can get snails easily :good:
I know what your saying and I'll take it into consideration. I don't see the issues with my other fish at all
:)
I thought the same as puffdaddy does

Well. at least your not refusing to accept my opinion :good:

Seriously though, go over to that site I suggested :nod:

And it's not just a case of "I have a few snails". Maybe for other puffers, but not these.
You'll need to be breeding them constantly, and feeding other hard-shelled foods.
It's a very serious problem with SAP's...

Doesn't anyone else agree with me??

Cheers,

Maximus

Most reactions

Back