1st time I've seen this receiving mail order fish... thoughts on if you think it could really help???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
so my 1st fish from Wet Spot today... interestingly each bag had 1 - 3 small pieces of foam inside... I'm assuming these were seasoned filter foam ( probably a foam sheet that was in their holding tanks ), but if they were in fact seeded with beneficial bacteria, do you think a small piece might make time in the bag a little better??? I've seen shrimp shipped with a sprig of plant, or a pinch of floss, to give the shrimp something to hold onto, while in the bag... everyone arrived in good condition... I just needed to fish out the foam pieces from my net, after dumping the fish from the bag, into the net..
IMG_5637.jpeg

Last edited:
so my 1st fish from Wet Spot today... interestingly each bag had 1 - 3 small pieces of foam inside... I'm assuming these were seasoned filter foam ( probably a foam sheet that was in their holding tanks ), but if they were in fact seeded with beneficial bacteria, do you think a small piece might make time in the bag a little better??? I've seen shrimp shipped with a sprig of plant, or a pinch of floss, to give the shrimp something to hold onto, while in the bag... everyone arrived in good condition... I just needed to fish out the foam pieces from my net, after dumping the fish from the bag, into the net..View attachment 345348
What type of fish did you purchase? I look over their website frequently. Quite an inventory.

Hypergastromyzon sp."Sk02" "Red Tail Borneo Sucker Loach"

"Albino Bushynose Pleco"(#Albino Bushynose Pleco TR (Ancistrus sp.) 3-4")

Glossolepis pseudoincisus"Millennium Rainbow" "Albino" Albino Millennium Rainbow TR (G. pseudoincisus) LG)
Large (2"+ to 3") pair

Hypergastromyzon humilis"Flat Borneo Sucker Loach"(#Flat Borneo Sucker Loach WILD (H. humilis) SM)

so a variety, all had foam pieces in the bags, between 1 & 3 pieces per bag

Let us know us how they do. I’m am toying with the idea of starting a tank for some African cichlids and Wet Spot has a large selection.

Ammonia absorbing foam, most likely. I would be impressed, as it isn't cheap.

I've been known to drool at their sales list though. They sell a lot of very hard to get and hard to keep fish. If for some reason I were on a massive USA road trip, there are only two retail stores I know of I'd detour to visit - Wet Spot and Dan's Fish.

Price doesn't relate to quality. Some places just overcharge. But those two have a stellar reputation, and they are known to do the extra a home breeder would.

Yes indeed. I purchase from Dan’s. If I ever get my 50 g off the ground I will buy my African cichlids from Wet Spot. You probably know that Dan’s sends each fish individually bagged. I love that.

Yes indeed. I purchase from Dan’s. If I ever get my 50 g off the ground I will buy my African cichlids from Wet Spot. You probably know that Dan’s sends each fish individually bagged. I love that.
I didn't know that! I can't order from them as shipping internationally is prohibitively expensive given my distance away from them. I keep seeing Procatopus lampeyes on their lists, and wow.

Dan is a great blend of entrepreneurship and good ethical values. Too bad this is a rare combination.

These from Wet Spot, were more than one fish in each bag, but I expect the foam was add on purpose

Last edited:
When I ship fish I put a piece of Poly Filter into the bag. I was taught to do this by Rachel O'Leary aka msjinkzd many years ago. But from the pic I think it is a piece of cycled sponge. If I am wrong and it is Poly, then, from the color, it absorbed organics .

In 1976, Poly-Bio-Marine, Inc. developed, patented and commercialized a truly unique product, the "Poly Filter". It was specifically designed for chemical filtration in the aquarium.

In addition to outstanding capabilities for removing ammonia, it also removes heavy metals, harmful organics, all forms of phosphate and is without equal in the removal of medications after treatment. Medication such as Copper Sulphate and Formalin, Quinine Sulphate, Malachite Green, chelated copper compounds and even antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections. These substances can cause serious toxicity problems for fish after treatment since they remain in solution for long periods of time causing toxic overdosage. The "Poly Filter" rapidly removes most parasite and antibiotic medications without removing or affecting beneficial trace elements. While activated carbon and ion exchange resins have been used for antibiotic removal, many times the fail to remove the medication completely and sometimes can shock the fish. The "Poly Filter" will not shock even the most delicate fish while completely removing the antibiotics.

Another important and patented feature of the "Poly Filter" is its unique ability to change a different color with the absorption of specific pollutants. It turns blue with a copper salt, light green to aqua with free copper, orange with iron, red with aluminum, yellowish green with ammonia and white to beige to brown to black with the absorption of harmful organics. This unique feature not only assures the hobbyist that the "Poly Filter" is functioning but helps him to monitor changes in water conditions and tells him when to replace the filter.
https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/

Most reactions

Back