1St Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danieljdavies

Reaction score
Hi,

I have added my first lot of fish to my new tank. The tank has been on a fishless cycle for 6 weeks.

I have added 6 neon tetras and 1 albino cory.

They have been in for over 24 hours and look fine and healthy apart from 1 which i found dead in the filter this morning. I took him straight out. He looked in good condition apart from being dead lol.

what should i expect the water to be like for the next few days? should i be testing the water regularly? The LFS told me to feed them every other day for the first week, which i am doing.

also, do you think the dead fish could have died just naturally or due to shock etc.

thanks
dan

Hi Dan,

I believe that Neon Tetras are notoriously bad in new tanks - they do better in one that has been running for 6+ months.

Definitely, yes, test your water regularly - if you post some current statistics (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) you'll be able to get a better-informed answer.

Hi Dan,

I believe that Neon Tetras are notoriously bad in new tanks - they do better in one that has been running for 6+ months.

Definitely, yes, test your water regularly - if you post some current statistics (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) you'll be able to get a better-informed answer.

how did you introduce the fish? I float the bag in my tank and over an hr period bit by bit add water from the tank into the bag, with lights off for the first day.

I, on the other hand, have never had any problems with neons in new tanks.

+1 for water parameters and regular tests.

Did you cycle by adding household ammonia? What amount of ammonia were you adding for the qualifying week? Do you have any plants? What about other décor, new and old? Are the water parameters in the old tank the same as in the new tank?

I put cardinal tetras (similar to neons) in a new tank and they were all fine.

Same here.

I had 3 neons in a 25l all alive.

Then when I got my bigger tank I moved them over with 6 more neons and there going like troopers xD

hi,

i have just tested the water, more than 24 hours later

ammonia 0
ph 7
nitrate 5
nitrite 0

cheers
dan

+1 for tetras in new tanks. Apart from the couple that died of a nasty fungal infection (possibly fin rot) from the LFS (quarantine ftw), but that was the 2nd lot of tetras I bought. The first lot were fine :D

Watch it with neons though... they scared the crap out of me the first time I saw this, but if you turn the light on (bad me, but I was curious) in the middle of the night, they go really pale... I almost had a heart attack, I thought they were dieing, I spent all night laid worrying... I woke up the next morning - SHINEY FISH! :sly: little buggers. They do this on a regular basis so I'm guessing it's a night time/ lights out thing

The readings are good right now, but is the filter cycled?

+1 for tetras in new tanks. Apart from the couple that died of a nasty fungal infection (possibly fin rot) from the LFS (quarantine ftw), but that was the 2nd lot of tetras I bought. The first lot were fine :D

Watch it with neons though... they scared the crap out of me the first time I saw this, but if you turn the light on (bad me, but I was curious) in the middle of the night, they go really pale... I almost had a heart attack, I thought they were dieing, I spent all night laid worrying... I woke up the next morning - SHINEY FISH! :sly: little buggers. They do this on a regular basis so I'm guessing it's a night time/ lights out thing

yep you got it! mine go really pale on their red bit and then on their shiney bit they turn an almost ultraviolet colour. Its prettty in a way!

Most reactions

Back