150G Stocking Suggestions

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've always liked the look of Africans but never done it or known much about them

What's the differences between malawis mbuna Tangshan? I like it when there is lots of rock work and colour with heavy stocking.is that Malawi?

If I were to convert my big tank what would I need to buy to set it all up and what sort of stocking could I have

I'm off to read all about it

Simon

Heya Simonas,

Go tanganyikan a couple of nice options in that size tank

Could get a nice group of tropheus in there

Or some nice Frontosas

Or my prefrence some Cyps and ventralis with a few synodontis Lupiniis and some shellies punks most prob.

If I remember correctly do you not live near Mike at rift valley cichlids ? if so pop in and look at his stock ;)

Just fill it with green neon tetra instead :hyper: :hey:

I've always liked the look of Africans but never done it or known much about them

What's the differences between malawis mbuna Tangshan? I like it when there is lots of rock work and colour with heavy stocking.is that Malawi?

If I were to convert my big tank what would I need to buy to set it all up and what sort of stocking could I have

I'm off to read all about it

Simon

150G is a great size for any of the Africans you`ve listed :good: :good:

On the heavy stocking with lots of colour, yes you`re right it is the Malawi/mbuna. It`s actually amazing how much colour you can get without going down the marine route which is why I`m so glad we got the Malwis. The mbuna side of things is generally made up from the afra jalo reef, ndumbi red top, neon spot, mpangas etc and they tend to be smaller than the peacocks i.e the Aulonocara family. Mbuna need a lot more in the way of cave areas whereas the peacocks tend to be more open swimmers and don`t need so much cover.
Ocean rock can be used in a malawi/mbuna setup but fish tend to forget that they`re getting bigger whilst the holes in the rocks aren`t and they can get easily stuck and die. I believe slate is generally used more. Also, other types of rock can be used, it`s probably best to search youtube for different setups that will give you some good ideas.
Malawi/mbuna are widely available and price wise are a pretty good price in most places but it`s always better to check the species isn`t a hybrid. Really good filtration is a must as these fish do need to be overstocked/heavily stocked to help cut down on aggression. A lot of the mbuna species should be kept in the 1m:2-3f ratio as the males are rampant and will harass badly.

Tanganyikans are really lovely fish, of course it would all depend on whether you want a peaceful tank or whether you want aggression in there.
My Tang setup for example is an extremely peaceful one, stocked with cyprochromis leptosoma (cyps) caudopunctatus (punks) calvus, compressicep, ventralis (featherfins). They all swim in different areas of the tank which is nice to watch. The cyps are open swimmers and a great addition to a Tang setup, I would say 15-20 would be a good amount for a 150G. Unfortunately the Tanganyikans are quite expensive so not too many people tend to keep them which is a shame because they`re generally pretty hardy little fish that last well.

If you are looking at a bit more aggression you could have a look at stocking the sexfasciatus, brichardi, leleupi, frontosa for example but don`t be fooled into thinking the brichardi or leleupi will be nice colourful/pretty additions to the fish listed in a peaceful setup.....they`re nasty buggers :lol: :grr:

Anyway, hope that`s given you a bit of an idea. The thing I would advise most is as you`re already aware......do lots of reading....then do more reading......then ask questions if needed :good:

As mentioned good size tank for Africans, Malawi for colour, Tanganyikan for behaviour . . .
Frontosa would look nice in a tank that size, dimly lit or if you're after lots of movement and interesting behaviour Tropheus are cool, check out the pic. in my sig. . . . :good:

Cheers, Sean

Plenty of scope. Would be great what ever you went with. Id go with sand sifters if it was me ;)

I can't help at all with this.....but ONE HUNDERD AND FIFTY GALLONS!

I hate you.

I need to have a decent look into this as I'm loving people's pics on here

some good advise already from lisa there , just to add my two penneth worth if its all out colour/activity youre after then mbuna would be the way forward imo. tangs are nice but for me theres very little that can match mbuna in terms of colour

Most reactions

Back