15 Gallon Help

The shrimp sound like a good idea - Do you have to have sand for those? Or are they ok with fine gravel?

Also, i've been looking around concerning my tank maintinance, and I realised obviously that I need to keep nutrients and CO2 levels and such stable and so on and so forth. I was wondering if you guys could help me out as to what filter to get and what else I can do to keep the tank crystal clean.
I also need ot look at some detailed guides about the fishless cycling and CO2 injections.
I'm such a noob! :rolleyes:
Cheers again, helping me loads! :good:

Oh good. Is there anything in particular i need to know about shimp? I.e. eating habbits and whatnot?

Cheers

Mine are peaceful but will bully fish to get some flake or pellets-they'll eat virtually anything.

Hahaha, sounds like a lively tank you got there!

And thanks for the references and food info! :rolleyes:

i wouldnt bother with adding nutrients and co2 - as long as the filter you have is up to the job, and theres enough transfer of gases at the surface (lots of surface movement), plenty of co2 and o2 will end up in the water for the plants and fish anyway! and the ammonia your fish are producing will keep your plants fed!

as for the filter, it depends how much you want to spend - most people seem to avoid undergravel filters. the internal ones are generally cheaper, but take up space in your tank and look a bit ugly (tho you can hide it with plants!). for a little bit more you can get an external, which takes up more space on your floor but leaves the tank with a bit more space :good:

i had a fluval 205 and it did a pretty good job, was a little noisy/big but kept the water pretty decent (was actually very powerful in my 110L). replaced it with a tetratec ex700 external - almost silent, and much better water quality than the internal!

Oh, well I have to say not having to bother with the CO2 and nutrient stabalising is a relief! And on the filter matter, I dont really mind an internal filter and being a complete NOOB im not too sure about an external. Is there any rnage of filters you could direct me for my 15 gal tank? [15 US gal / 13 UK gal]

Thanks again :hyper:

Oh, well I have to say not having to bother with the CO2 and nutrient stabalising is a relief! And on the filter matter, I dont really mind an internal filter and being a complete NOOB im not too sure about an external. Is there any rnage of filters you could direct me for my 15 gal tank? [15 US gal / 13 UK gal]

Thanks again :hyper:

i had the fluval 205, but that was quite overrated even for my tank, so I assume the 105 would be fine (just checked, it says "480 LPH for aquariums up to 100 litres")

the external isn't any more difficult - you might need to alter the aquarium lid for the piping if it doesnt already have the space for it, but other than that all the bits just slot together and work :) though they are a bit bigger than i'd expected (about 40x20x20cm i think for the ex700, the ex600 is a little smaller)

p.s. i'm certainly no expert either :p

Oh ok cool, thanks for the reference, I think i'll get the Fluval105 then, and maybe latero n i'll see how an external goes! :good:
Is there any other natural cleaning processes about? Just out of curiosity; I'm assuming the filter and shrimps will be enough, along with maintinance.

Cheers

Oh ok cool, thanks for the reference, I think i'll get the Fluval105 then, and maybe latero n i'll see how an external goes! :good:
Is there any other natural cleaning processes about? Just out of curiosity; I'm assuming the filter and shrimps will be enough, along with maintinance.

Cheers

the filter will be more than enough to handle the ammonia/nitrite in your tank (once its cycled of course)

other natural cleaning processes could include algae eaters like catfish? i'm no expert on them, but I have corydoras and they're great fun to watch lol :p (and do a great job cleaning)

Ahh ok. And what about cleaning the filter, I know you shouldn't clean the sponges and stuff inside them (media?) with tap water, do you just un clog them? Maybe using excess tnak water after a water change?

Ahh ok. And what about cleaning the filter, I know you shouldn't clean the sponges and stuff inside them (media?) with tap water, do you just un clog them? Maybe using excess tnak water after a water change?

spot on :) just remove the crap clogging the holes etc., and give the filter pads a quick rinse in the tank water your getting rid of

Most reactions

Back