120 Gallon Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SharonCC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I saw an ad this morning for a 120gal. tank...naturally I checked it out! The tank used to be set up in a Doctors office, and was purchased from that office by the seller about 10 years ago. He kept a turtle in it. Tank supposedly does not leak, and has no scratches. I'm getting pics later tonight. My concern is this...the tank is 10 plus years old. I assume that silicone ages, and gets brittle, and damaged. The thing costs $700, but the price is negotiable. What do you think?

Not here...Tanks are rather expensive...I'd estimate $2000 for tank of that size, and stand.

Forgot the stand is included!

Wow, what a grow-out tank, lol.
That price really does seem excessive - going by what I've read, the big worry with silicone seems to be when tanks have been stored dry or soaked too long and/or often in bleach.
You might want to check into new prices, although if you're on an island and have to buy 'off', the cost of delivery/ferrying may be discouraging.
Really just wanted to say cool! hope you get one - and at a decent price.

Just got the pics...The tank looks in really good shape, from what I can tell. But the stand is a homemade job, and not very attractive. I don't think I'll bother to go look...

The stand is very unattractive, and I'd have to get something else...The extra cost of that would be too much...

If you don't like the stand, there is no way you should include it in your considerations. Either a new tank or that one will mean getting a new stand so ignore whether the stand makes it a reasonable deal.

i don't know about the price there but i agree with the rest that 700 is waaayyyyyyy more than i would pay for a 120g let alone one that's ten years old. why not post up some pictures of it?

A good, sturdy stand, (if it is) can be painted/covered if it's otherwise a good deal for your area, and the equipment is good and in good condition.
Of course, you've probably got a nice house where decor's a consideration - all I have anymore is a room done in fish tanks and dog hair, so my outlook's a little different, lol.
Edit - one thing remembering to dot every 'i' and cross every 't' - another when you miss the 't' entirely... and then doing it again on the edit...

Hi S...Yes, decor is a consideration. I don't want to have to do anything to "make it work" especially for that price. Seller says the price is negotiable but I don't want to insult him. If I were to offer a price for the tank, only, what do you think would be fair?

I usually think in terms of 30 to 50% of local retail but offer only what it is worth to you. You are not buying stocks and bonds, you are buying something to use and it is only worth what you are willing to pay.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I had a 55 gallon glass/silicone tank back in the late 70's/early 80's that held marine fish for a few years. The tank was then emptied and put into the garage for close to 25 years! It went through summers and winters for a long time in New Jersey. I filled the tank about 3 years ago and it has been in service until just recently - no leaks. I don't know if this is typical of silicone tanks without metal framing, but that's my experience with it.

bushka

Most reactions

Back