10G Stocking - Starter Fish

Matt T

Reaction score
Firstly id like to apologise, you probably get the same questions time and time again but im having a hard time searching for a definitive answer.

Right... while my tank is cycling im researching into what fish I want in my new tank.

Ive read that most people stock in two stages. Firstly use hardy fish once the tank is cycled but is still immature. Then once a biofilm has formed in the tank and all the other unknown reactions have settled down a little they then add some slightly more delicate fish.

Ive got a question that’s bugging me, after ive built up enough bacteria to be able to deal with the amount of ammonia a full tank of fish will produce, i under stock my tank and id imagine the bacteria will die down a slight amount due to the low amount of fish in the tank. When I add new slightly more delicate fish after 6 months or so, would putting them in create a mini cycle? Or do i ramp up the amount of fish steadily, say 2 every 2 week?

Also... (Yes there’s more :D ) Ive seen what sounds like a nice stocking suggestion on this website, but the problem is that from what ive read they’re all quite delicate fish. As well as the dwarf gourami being prone to disease, maybe even the tetras too if they’re massively inbred?

Id like to hear anyone’s suggestions as to what they’ve done and what they would do in regards to stocking a freshly cycled tank. In particular, suggestions as to which fish would be nice to put in first off that are hardy and attractive.

Thanks in advance :)

I am also currently cycling my tank. When it is done i plan to add barbs, which like to be in schools. So that i don't create a mini cycle i'll add 3 first then in two more weeks once all is going well 3 more. Then in maybe a months time once everything is completely settled i would slowly start to add more delicate fish, so that my tank can adjust, instead of being over loaded.

Hope this helps.

You are right that the bacteria will die back a bit. That's ok though. A healthy culture of nitrifying bacteria will increase their numbers fairly fast. The trick in slowly stocking a tank lies in the number and size of the new fish you are adding. You never want to add more than 1/3 of the current stocking at once. It's the same when you donate media, you don't want to donate more than 1/3 of your total media to avoid a mini cycle. There might still be a mini cycle but the bacteria will catch up very quickly. Just keep a watch on your ammonia levels and change the water if it gets above .25.

Also, the 2 weeks between adding new fish is a safe timeframe. You could probably get away with a little faster, but if you are like me, why chance it when a little time is all you need.

soccermatt which barbs are you planning on getting?

drobbyb thats a useful rule of thumb to work on.

thanks the both of you!

Does anyone else have any suggestions for other fish? preferably ones that would allow me to get some tertas or pygmy corys later on?

Agree, harlequins have become my favorite choice as a hardy beautiful schooling fish that is forgiving to beginners. These rasboras are typical of many shoaling fish in that 6 is a good minimum number, but of course more is better if you can devote more tank room.

Cardinal/Neon tetras are about the most common fish that beginners want to include but that we like to advise that people wait on. For some reason they do much better after the tank has aged 6 months regardless of cycling.

~~waterdrop~~

I was lucky and the guy in the garden centre accidentally gave me 2 free harlequins lol. They shoal beautifully except when i tell people how beautifully they shoal haha.

Actually that thread specifically says that pygmy cories are hardy. There are a number of cories that are quite tough in a new tank, but some are almost guaranteed to be very sensitive.

I was lucky and the guy in the garden centre accidentally gave me 2 free harlequins lol. They shoal beautifully except when i tell people how beautifully they shoal haha.

I love harlequins! They're so beautiful. :) I don't have any but I've heard that they're pretty hardy too.

I heard the same thing about dwarf gouramis being prone to illness and that's why i got my honey gouramis. They are beautiful little fish, a pair would be a great centerpiece for a small tank. I've had mine for about 4 months now and they are thriving. They even spawned recently!

As for hardy, attractive fish: i know people say that guppies are boring, but i think they're stunning. Platies are nice too.

Have fun and good luck!

Sorry about that OldMan47 I did mean pygmy cories, i dont know why I just put cories :)

So am I right in saying that 4 pgymy cories, 6 harlequin rasboras and a honey gourami would be OK in my aquarium and are also quite hardy starter fish? Im using a fluval 1 plus by the way.

The rasboras are quite hardy. I do not have any honey gouramis so have no experience there. The pygmy cories that I have went into a fairly new tank and have been doing well so they may also be hardy in a new tank. I have not tried this mix of fish but it does seem reasonable.

Yes, for your 10g Matt that stocking sounds excellent to me. The overall stocking level seems good, assuming you'll try hard for weekly water changes. The numerical choices seem good -- the harlequins will truly appreciate the large shoal while I assume that 4 will not be too limiting for the little cories and gouramis are one of the types of fish that I feel will do ok alone. I believe the combo would also not have aggression problems so I think you've covered all the bases there.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back