10 Tank's fish and tanks

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wednesday morning. Here we go again. Today, we're working on a 100 and a 55 gallon tank. Large water changes as usual. Can't really change out too much water. By removing the old water, you remove whatever toxins have dissolved in it. You replace the old water with clean, treated tap water to replenish the nutrients the fish and plants need for sustained good health.

Now, if you want to set up a new tank and introduce fish within a couple of days, you just treat the tap water with a standard water treatment like API's Tap Water Conditioner. This will render the tap water chemicals non toxic. You'll need to establish a bacteria colony too. The bacteria will detoxify ammonia and nitrite. The little bugs will use these two forms of nitrogen for their food. Then, you simply change half the tank water a couple of times a week, always adding the water conditioner and bacteria starter, like API's "Quick Start" according to the instructions on the product. This water change will remove most of the nitrates.

Remember, you'll need to acclimate your new fish. In other words, you'll need to get them used to their new home water. We'll talk about that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wednesday supplement. Hey, got a few minutes while the 100 gallon is filling. So, why not talk about getting your new fish ready for their new home? Let's do. So, you've got a few brand new fish from the fish store. You only want to introduce a few. Don't want to upset the water chemistry. I used this method I've been describing to set up a new tank for a dozen Buenos Aires Tetras a year or maybe two ago. The tank is still up and running and now, I have maybe 20 of these Tetras in the tank.

So, I brought the fish home from the fish store and rinsed the bag under some tap water just to clean off the bag. I opened the bag and floated it in the tank water. Every few minutes I added a little of the water from the new tank to the bag of fish. I did this for about 45 minutes. This allowed the bag water to reach the same temperature as that in the tank and by adding a little water from the new tank to the bag, I was able to get the fish used to the new water chemistry. After 45 minutes, I tipped the bag into the tank water and let the fish swim out into the tank. You'll get a little of the fish store water into the new tank, but this isn't a problem. You're going to be changing out a lot of tank water every week. This will keep any toxins that could possibly hurt your fish out of the new tank. That's it. Now you just follow the water change steps I provided in the earlier posts. Easy peazee.

Last edited:
It's a nice Thursday morning and today, we're starting the routine over with a 45 and a 55 gallon tank that need a water change and the small filters cleaned. Total time: Less than a couple of hours. When we remove and clean the filters, we always make sure the water flow setting is where it needs to be. During cleaning, it's very easy to move a dial or setting that will affect the water flow. The water flow is important because it moves the water surface and mixes oxygen into the tank water. This water movement also helps maintain a steady water temperature throughout the tank. So, next time you remove the tank filter for cleaning, make sure to note the setting and ensure the dial is in the same place after cleaning the filter.

Good morning and happy "end of the work week" Friday. Just working on one tank today, the 55 gallon at the government office. Will change out half the tank water and check the new Fluval HOB filter we installed a few days ago.

We made a mistake in a post recently and missed an important item in the post that affected our answer and made us look a little "dumb". But, we're the first ones to admit we're not perfect, so we learned a little and are moving onto the next thing in our tank keeping lives. You know, the hardest thing to do for me is to admit an error and apologize right away. I'm immediately on the defensive and that does me no good. One should admit the mistake and own up to it. Apologize. I wonder what would have happened if Adam and Eve had admitted their mistake right away and said "We're sorry". I wonder if God would have given them another chance???

It's a nice Saturday morning and we have a couple of tanks to work on today. We'll change out half the water in a 50 gallon and a 55 gallon. We'll also check the filters. We typically clean the filters when we change out the tank water. This way, the filters are always running well.

I use a lot of driftwood and rocks from the local pond, river and lake areas around my home and they really make my tanks look nice. You do need to be careful with driftwood. I make sure I use only those pieces that are completely dry and not something that has recently been cut from the tree. You don't want to put something living in your fish tank.The piece can rot and pollute the tank. The driftwood has to snap when bent and not simply bend. There can't be any green material or a green color in it. Also, I rinse the piece really well and leave it out in the sun to dry. This will kill anything that might be living on the wood. Rocks are a different subject. We can talk about them tomorrow.

Last edited:
For your driftwood, where you are, do you get a lot of hardwood/deciduous, or is it softwood/evergreens?

For your driftwood, where you are, do you get a lot of hardwood/deciduous, or is it softwood/evergreens?
Hello Gary. Thanks so much for checking in with me here! I've never used wood from a tree that doesn't drop leaves in the Fall. I personally like pieces from Cottonwood trees. The pieces dry out quickly. We have Aspen, Elm, Locust and some others, but I have a place that's mostly Cottonwoods when I'm looking for driftwood. No Evergreens though, I don't like the smell and some time back, I read the sap from these trees will foul the tank water.

Hmm. Cottonwoods are really rare here. All your trees are. I use oaks and maples. I constantly see fantastic pieces on beaches, but they are pine root pieces around here. Maple isn't the best as it's very straight.
I wish pine were safe, but the resins are an issue. They decompose fast too.
I had some maple that a friend found in a peat bog - that was fantastic, but it's hard to find.
The forestry companies tear through mixed forests and replace them with single species pines. A number of people around here are replanting red oaks and burr oaks, to try to bring those native deciduous trees back. I put some in last year. And my neighbour has an elm, a rare survivor of Dutch elm disease. The population of elms was low around here, and was spared from the spread of the disease. Next hurricane or Nor'easter, I'll use some branches.

Hello again. Interesting how much different the trees are from here to there. I recently added some Mopani wood to a tank. It gave the tank a different and interesting look. But, then you put up with the tannic acid discoloring the tank water and the Cottonwood was cheaper.

A Saturday supplemental post. So, we've got a few minutes and let's use it to talk about rocks that can go into your fish tank. Lava rock is probably the best and maybe the most natural looking. It's nice. But, if you have a large piece of driftwood to weigh down in the tank, no amount of lava rock will work. Whatever rocks you decide on, drop some vinegar on them. If there's a reaction like, fizzing, some bubbling or a visible reaction of any other sort, don't use that rock. If you use it, it will very likely change your water chemistry and most fish aren't very tolerant of changes in their water chemistry.

This is Sunday morning after a bit of a rain storm last night. Nothing substantial, but at this point we'll take whatever moisture we can get. Today is a busy day of tank cleaning. We'll try to squeeze in four tanks. Have some errands that are coming up later, so there won't be time to work on tanks either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Today's question is about the use of bamboo in a fish tank. My research tells me that bamboo is fine to use in your fish tank, but it needs to go through some prep before it goes into the tank. If you don't, it can rot and release harmful bacteria and fungus can grow on the piece as well. Soak the canes for a week and remove any skin or material inside the piece. I would suggest using a bottle brush to clean inside. The larger the piece the longer you'll need to soak it or use a clear polyurethane varnish to completely coat the piece. Make sure the coating is safe for aquarium use. The inside would need the same treatment. Now, after all this, I might forget the bamboo and use a nice piece of Mopani wood. It can be expensive, but if you figure in your time to prep the bamboo, the Mopani wood may be a better idea. This way, you're positive the piece is safe in your fish tank.

Sunday supplemental post. Filters! Not a substitute for large, weekly water changes, but could be needed if you're late performing a water change. I clean my tank filters every time I perform a water change. This is about every five days. The clean filters aerate the tank water mostly, but do a decent job of helping to keep the tank clean. I'm not a fan of canister filters, sorry. Too expensive and not worth the money. They'll cost 10 times more than a non canister filter, but I'm not convinced they're 10 times better. I use a good filter that hangs on the back of the tank or an internal, terrarium filter. You're choice however.

Vacuuming! Do you really need to vacuum the bottom material? My answer would be no. By simply removing half the tank water every few days, you remove everything that has dissolved in it. Everything inside the tank and under water will eventually dissolve. This is the reason that water is referred to as "the great dissolver". Vacumming can also damage plant roots. The process is just too demanding and time consuming for me. So, I'll continue to remove and replace most of the water and replace it every few days. This is the best means of maintaining a healthy tank with healthy fish.

Monday morning and we'll get busy on several tanks today. We'll have the government tank to do and will see how many others we can finish up. We're taking the day off tomorrow. We have a couple of commitments that need to be honored. There's quite a bit to be done, but we'll take our time.

Air stones were one of the topics that came up yesterday. Air stones really don't mix much oxygen into the tank water. The bubbles are just too small. But, the bubbles do have a nice visual effect on the tank. The best way to aerate the tank water is to remove and replace it often. Don't change just a little, either. If you're getting out the gear to perform a water change, then change a lot. Small water changes do very little to remove the toxins from the fish and plant waste material that is constantly dissolving in the water or to maintain a good oxygen level. Filters will also do a much better job of mixing oxygen into the tank water, much more so than an air stone. But, if you like the visual the little bubbles give the tank, then put in one.

Last edited:
Vacuuming! Do you really need to vacuum the bottom material? My answer would be no. By simply removing half the tank water every few days, you remove everything that has dissolved in it. Everything inside the tank and under water will eventually dissolve. This is the reason that water is referred to as "the great dissolver". Vacumming can also damage plant roots. The process is just too demanding and time consuming for me. So, I'll continue to remove and replace most of the water and replace it every few days. This is the best means of maintaining a healthy tank with healthy fish.

My answer is yes you should get the gunk out of the substrate because it encourages harmful disease organisms, in particular protozoan parasites like Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina and Hexamita.

Most reactions

Back