10 Gallon With Malaysia Driftwood

So here's a photo of the tank now. I may  move a couple of things around but for the most part I like it.

I just fed the tank so a bunch of the shrimp are out grazing on the left over munchies.

10_gallon_July102013.jpg

Here are a few more shots I took with my phone.

They show my chili rasbora, the pygmy cory, the scarlet badis, assassin snails, and the cherry shrimp.

IMG_20130710_180802.jpg
IMG_20130710_180814.jpg
IMG_20130710_180854.jpg
IMG_20130710_180902.jpg
IMG_20130710_180942.jpg
IMG_20130710_181001.jpg

Looks great! Can't wait to see the progress!

Are the Pygmy's okay on that gravel? I thought they needed sand?

Also, I thought Scarlet Badis were single specie fish? (Can't remember where I read this)

That's not gravel, tis aquasoil, they're fine on that stuff.

Is this running high or low tech Chad?

DrRob said:

Oh okay, looks like gravel. I've never seen aquasoil before, does it have supplements for plants?

That looks really good. I love chilli rasbora, can never find any near me,  but the LFS I have ordered my melini cories from have galaxy ones. 
What's the grass called? Is that the micro sword? Do you have to use co2 to make it grow?

Blondielovesfish said:
Looks great! Can't wait to see the progress!

Are the Pygmy's okay on that gravel? I thought they needed sand?

Also, I thought Scarlet Badis were single specie fish? (Can't remember where I read this)
Pygmy cory actually spend most of their time swimming and due to their tiny size gravel is more like a boulder to them. However, that said Rob is right, it's not gravel it's Fluval Stratum soil substrate.

Scarlet Badis are territorial so simply require well defined areas to live and in the absense of females tend to just dance about each other and leave back to their territory. I've had these two since September of last year if I remember correctly. There are many fish, dwarf puffers for example, that can be kept with each other under the right aquascaping and size of tank. That's how it is with Scarlet Badis. They are a GREAT fish and I do recommend them. However, they do require copepods or tiny worms as the primary source of their food. These two will not and do not eat the food I put in for the other fish, regardless of what kind it is. They are hunters. That's what he's doing in the picture, hunting. He will find a pod, then strike at it and munch!

DrRob said:

Is this running high or low tech Chad?

I'm debating. Right now low tech. I have the Fluval Co2 unit I will probably hook up but before I do I'm going to see how it grows. The little tank grew so fast that it became a chore and a jungle.

Blondielovesfish said:

Oh okay, looks like gravel. I've never seen aquasoil before, does it have supplements for plants?

Yes it does have suppliments. I have found it to be the best I've used so far in terms of growth and water quality.

Here's what Fluval says about it and I've found it to be accurate which is why I post it exactly:

Fluval® Plant Stratum is the ideal substrate for stimulating the growth of aquatic plants in freshwater aquariums. The substrate’s light, non-compacting, porous structure is highly beneficial to nitrifying bacteria, which rapidly colonize the vast porous surface, providing optimal water quality for plants.

Plant roots easily penetrate and spread throughout the substrate, allowing plants to obtain a variety of key nutrients that will make them flourish.

Fluval® Plant Stratum’s inherent properties will help support a neutral to slightly acidic pH, ideal for most plant species and species of tropical fish normally kept in planted aquariums. This highly attractive substrate will not discolor water and helps control organic discoloration usually present when natural driftwood is used. 2 kg (4.4 lbs)

Ny82 said:
That looks really good. I love chilli rasbora, can never find any near me,  but the LFS I have ordered my melini cories from have galaxy ones. 
What's the grass called? Is that the micro sword? Do you have to use co2 to make it grow?

Thanks. I love the chilli as well and they are rare here too. This was actually the one and only time the store had them and I purchase almost their entire order. Galaxy Rasbora (now called Celestial Pearl Danio since they discovered they aren't rasbora) are one of my single favorite fish. I am debating adding some to this tank but I feel I have the zones well covered and they might make it look too busy. It's meant to be a slow and calm tank.

You are correct that grass is actually micro-sword. It requires bright light which is why it's right under the LED's. I've only grown it in tanks with Co2 so I can't say if it will grow without. I am waiting to hook up the Co2 on this tank so I will find out soon enough. If it thrives then I will know it does not require it, if not then I will hook it up and know that it does.

Most reactions

Back