1 gallon jar saltwater

Either method would be fine.
Awesome! Thanks. I do like these little guys. It is interesting the variety of colors in the shrimp. There is one that is very red like a cherry shrimp and a few green ones and some almost purple ones.

Everything appears to be healthy. Theres a lot of baby shrimp that are super tiny so I believe it will be overcrowded. @Colin_T can I feed them to my fish?
Yes but wait till they get a bit bigger.

-----------------
Which would work well? Instant ocean or natural seawater? Could I use instant ocean until we go to the beach next time?
You can mix water made from artificial marine salts with natural sea water and vice versa.

If you use artificial marine salts, make the salt water up in a plastic container and aerate it for 24 hours. Make sure the salinity is correct and then use it.
Make sure the tap water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before you use it.

Still good :) the little crab tries to catch the shrimp but has not succeeded as of yet

Still good :) the little crab tries to catch the shrimp but has not succeeded as of yet
They are gammarus, salt water version of scuds ;)

I looked to my vase with seed shrimp and their population increased.
As well with my bladder snail... it laid eggs today I think and I also found two baby bladders in my 33.
I'm happy that they reproduce :wub:

Just about had a heart attack....saw what looked like a dead crab.. turned out he just molted! The scuds have been super busy, there are dozens of babies now. There is one other type of shrimp in there but I cant get a picture. I've noticed a few other little creatures that are too small to photograph with a phone. Overall I'm very happy with this experiment

Edit: do I remove the crab exoskeleton? Or leave it?

Leave the crab's molt. Someone is going to eat it.
My experiment failed 100%
Is there a way you could start over? Or move it to a slightly bigger jar?

At least your scuds reproduced!

Most reactions

Back