1 Fish Out Of 8 Gasping For Air After Water Change

The Bala shark is good, I'm waiting on a camera to come in the mail and i can attach a picture of them. When I said skinny i just meant it was like this

http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-BalaShark-Bala.jpg

As opposed to this:

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Minnow282.jpg

I thought the fish i lost was a shark, turns out its a red tailed tinfoil barb. I (again) apologize for my ignorance!!!!

I don't have any of those symptoms, other than the heavy breathing of my pacu, and he doesnt go to the top, he swims normally just like he used to but now has this labored breathing. When I first set the tank up I had a little parasite activity but i followed the instructions on the medicine and everything cleared up for me. That was a good 6 months, and several water changes ago. Is it possible that by adding the untreated water without conditioning it first, possibly chlorine has burned his gills? or maybe gill damage from the difference in temperature? And if so, do they recover from that. also if thats the case would it be strange to have only affected the pacu and the tinfoil barb? (tin foil barb died almost immediately during the water change) The other pacu was gasping like his brother but he stopped after an hour or so and is back to normal. I have examined the gills really closely and there doesnt appear to be any difference at all in the 2 fish except for the rate of breath. I'm so mad at myself!!!!!!!

If the two affected fish were already weak and unwell the shock could make them go downhill.

Well update guys, the pacu seems to be healing or just "snapping out of it" The gasping slowed down to just a slight little bit and by late last night he was right on par with the other pacu, all back to normal. It's almost like hiccupps though because every so often it will gasp just a few times then be back to normal. I put in a little aquarium salt 2 days ago, maybe it helped a little (i normally don't use it)

I think I can close this emergency for now folks....thank you SO MUCH to those that replied to me!!!!

Glad there some signs of improvement. Just keep a close eye on them.
Good Luck.

Glad there some signs of improvement. Just keep a close eye on them.
Good Luck.

indeed!! its funny how fast 2 hours goes by when you are staring at the tank like its your newborn. LOL

Most reactions

Back