1/2 gallon 2 small?

Might as well put my two cents in :) Both of my boys are in 1/2 gallons. You will hear differing opinions on this messageboard either way about 1/2 gallons...both with good, valid points. It really depends on two things: 1) is your betta happy and 2) are you willing and able to do what is necessary to keep his environment, whatever it may be, clean. My 1/2 gallons are very easy to clean and I have scheduled water changes (partial and 100%) and it's a total breeze. On the contrary, it's not a lot of work. Of course with a 1/2 gallon you can't use a heater...but depending on your room temperature it's probably not necessary. (Even if mine were in slightly larger homes, I wouldn't need one because of the room temperature...I have thermometers for both) Because I keep their homes very clean I don't need a filter (now, if I had something larger I'd have a filter).

And again, it depends on your betta...I've read posts here where some kept their bettas in smaller tanks, but when they were moved to larger ones they freaked out and had to moved back to the smaller one. Some enjoy larger environments and don't mind being in a community tank...others prefer solitude.

As for a test kit...I don't have one. I have been looking at some and the prices. But I don't need really one...not because I'm such an expert...but because I do regular water changes and I know my fish well enough to know if the ammonia's high or they're not feeling well, etc. But I may get one at some point (especially if I decide to get a larger tank...not for the bettas, but for some other species of fish I've been considering).

Even the IBC's (International Betta Congress)website says 1/2 gallons are ok. Your little guy will be ok in your 1/2 gallon. Especially since that's all you have for him right now...put him in there and let him get acclimated. And if you want to, try and move him to a larger one. Everyone means well and wants the best for fish...Just don't let anyone tell you you're committing some impardonable sin by putting him in a 1/2 gallon. He's your fish and you know him better than anyone.

As for finding out what 'cycling' is...it's the nitrogen cycle and there's some really good posts on this messageboard explaining it. Go to the newbie/beginner threads. Very helpful. And Petco has a really good information sheet about it (www.petco.com) and you can do an internet search and find tons of info about it. Invest is some good books too (or go the library). A couple suggestions:
"The Betta: an owner's guide to a happy, healthy pet" by Mic & Maddy Hargrove
"Freshwater Aquariums: basic aquarium setup and maintenance" by David Alderton
Forgive me if in my hasty read I missed something and you already own other aquariums and already know this.

Keep us posted on Squishy :D cute name

today i saw the cutest tank it was a 1 gallon and it had an over head light with the cutest clear filter so i asked the guy if u could just buy the filter but u can't and the whole thing is $46 !!!!!!!!! :crazy: i could buy a fully equiped 10 gallon for $39 !!!!!!!! maybe the price will go down and i could get it for Squish :wub: but first i think i should get him a light :*)

careful with the lights in smaller tanks, they can heat the water up quickly, I only turn my small tank lights on for a couple of hours a day if that much

And I think half a gallon will be plenty for now,you can always upgrade Squishy's tank later, don't rush, just enjoy your betta

thanks for your posts wuvmybetta and scarab! :D i think Squishy likes his little tank but i have 2 get a real plant or a silk one because 2day i noticed his tail fin was ripped a bit and the plant is really ugly and i don't think he likes it! :unsure:
i will need 2 get a light tho cuz winters here can be really cold and we usually turn down the furnace at night so i don't want him 2 freeze. :X Well Squishy is turning into a really flashy guy he won't stop flaring and just likes 2 show off! :p when i put my finger on the glass he comes up and then flares his gills at me! :wub: i think he likes me!

no its not to small becouse bettas in the wild live in like ponds puddles and small places like that!

I am so glad to hear that Squishy is happy. It is a great sign that he is building a bubble nest and flaring at you, means he loves you. :lol: Some bettas are really sensative to plastic plants, i had to remove all of mine also as mine were tearing up their finnage. Glad to hear all is well with him, and good luck. Glad to hear another betta found a good home, keep up the good work. Sandy

aaaaww squishy sounds too cute :wub:

I'm glad you guys are both happy together :D :D :D

Lipreader said:
Interesting. I didn't know that. Sorry about all that. Maybe because it's too much swimming for them? Yeah, I know, sound stupid. I dont know what other reason it could be. Or could it be that they were overwhelmed wtih all that space? Did you put your betta straight into the tank from the itty bitty cup they came from? If you did, maybe that is why they die eventually. Maybe they were so used to small space that they didn't get a chance to adjust to bigger and bigger space.

I can't think of any other reason....
In the wild, bettas live in paddy fields and shallow ponds but will rarely go more than a few inches from their home rice stalk or reed. If you look at their fins, you can see why - they are hardly built for swimming long distances!

I think the reason so many bettas don't live very long in our tanks is that they are so over-bred and in-bred. I'm convinced of this because I've been asking around and it is really common for these fish to live no longer than 18 months, despite a proper lifespan being 6-8 years. We had this same problem in the hamster world - hamsters should live about 6 years but it was common for them to only make it to 2 years, even with expert care.

Canis, both of mine are green too! You got the betta for free??!! Cool.

I was looking at the tanks this morning...I wish they made them in black with natural colored gravel just as another option.

Most reactions

Back