Xanax in fish tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaC02

Reaction score
my relative family member put a diluted Xanax into my fish tank. the juvenile fish is now a lot more active, no timidness, less shy, stop hiding, and become fearless to everything (it was hiding behind rocks all the time and scared of me when before xanax introduced).
and i got the fish from the store few days ago
do i have to do 100% water change or the medication will decompose over time?
thank you in advance

I would do a water change immediately - not 100% as that would leave the fish out of water. Remove as much water as possible, leave enough water in the tank for the fish to swim upright. Make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank water.

Do you have any activated carbon, or can get some quickly? If you can, put some in the tank filter and replace every day with new carbon. Throw away the carbon after it has been in the tank. Do this for a week.

Oh man, don't do a water change just yet, I'm so mellow right now :fish:

Seriously tho, do a partial water change each day for a week to dilute anything.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Stick with the advice above. I just have to ask how did the Xanax actually get into the tank? What was the person's thought process, was it a youngster? Just curious.

🧐 something smells fishy...

maybe better than pot... ( a joke follows ) I planted my pot plants in my aquariums, but I had to take them out, the fish kept getting the munchies, they ate some roots, & just couldn't leave them alone :)

The fact that it gave the same effects on fishes like humans, is just too hilarious...

One of the side effects is dry mouth... But I guess the fishes are immune to that.

Next water changes shouldn't be too stressful for them. Loll...

Since a lot of the medications we use are peed out, this has been studied. Drugs in the xanax family are common in many environments close to where there are lots of humans. So while some of us have family members we shouldn't trust near our tanks, and need to do a lot of water changes quickly, we can take a break and google the effects!

I hope that family member didn't pee in the tank.

Last edited:
The fact that it gave the same effects on fishes like humans, is just too hilarious...

One of the side effects is dry mouth... But I guess the fishes are immune to that.

Next water changes shouldn't be too stressful for them. Loll...
not entirely same effect, xanax usually makes human feel sleepy and less active with relaxed feeling and negates stress with less heart rate and breathing frequency and reduction in motivation to do anything. but still hilarious.
yeah, no problem about dry mouth,
i own the medication but the person that put it in take it from my storage
less stressful for them... maybe i should put the xanax in shy newly introduced fish lol

I gotta get some xanax to try on the fish. New science experiment for me :)
Xanax is quite hard to get if you don't have mental illness or something similar, maybe i will use Xanax on my own fish to make them more active, increase appetite, and acclimate a lot faster or stop the hiding behavior :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back