sorry... a non fish or forum rant...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I manage a small food ingredient manufacturing plant... I wear a lot of hats, including quality manager... as QC manager I have to fill out these annual surveys for customers... Now, I get that you don't want people just changing your forms... but I really have a hard time understanding, why educated people can't understand that if I can't change your form, I can't answer your questions on the form, unless you put in text boxes that I'm allowed to type in... they show up to me in e-mails, all the time, in protected form, with no text boxes to add answers to the questions... I'm at work right now, on my day off, I came in, to answer an urgent request for a document... of course it's protected, so I can't answer it... I think I'm going to print it out, & in my best illegible doctor type writing, fill it out, take a picture of it, & send it to the customer... not sure what they expect me to do???

BTW... I've gotten the same unanswerable forms from some companies 2-3 years in a row???

Are these forms in Office format such as Word or Excel? If so request the password needed to unprotect the form and look under 'Unprotect' under 'Review' to apply.

pdf’s right now
Do you have Office 2016 or 365 installed? If so I believe there is a free add-on to make Office able to read and save PDF files. It is possible that importing a PDF to, let's say Office Word, would automatically make it able to be edited. Do the edits and then save the file as a PDF. I just checked Word in Office 365 and, sure enough, when saving I have the option to save as a PDF.

As an initial test, if you have Office, I would suggest right clicking on a PDF file and, in the context menu select 'Open with' and then select Office Word. If it fails look at add-ons to enable the handling of PDF files.

Do you have the option to “add text” to the PDFs? I think there are 3 places with “…” and one of these, at the top (left?) allows you to add text. I might be confused with Adobe acrobat though.

Normally pdf’s are used to send the documents, protected, so they can’t be changed, for example, if I were sending a customer a copy of one of our specification sheets, it would be sent, as a pdf, to prevent someone else from changing our document

Do you have the option to “add text” to the PDFs? I think there are 3 places with “…” and one of these, at the top (left?) allows you to add text. I might be confused with Adobe acrobat though.
I suggest that you get rid of Acrobat as it is a proven system security risk due to vulnerabilities. I would suggest switching to FoxIt which is also free but safer with more options. Be careful as to the actual download as some are trials for the full editor.

corporate... I can't really change programs... the office manager has a work around figured out... & as I wear too many hats already, I don't have the time to figure it out... you can edit them, if I click that, they want me to buy a more expensive program... I'm only a couple years from retirement, so I guess I just tell them to fix their forms... most QC managers have got 8 years of college... they should understand me getting frustrated with the forms they send me, but they'll do it again next year too... I used to fix peoples forms, when they put lines where I was supposed to reply, & as I typed, it pushed their lines further out, until their form is all messed up... now I just send it back to them that way if they come with a document I can respond on, or I send it back to them, if they send me pdf's

IMG_5991.jpeg

That T in a box allows you to add text. Then you click any where on the page and start typing, hit enter when you want it to drop down to the next line. Then you can move the box where you want it, too.

Most reactions

Back