Is my tank to small for mbuna?

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The tank is 3x2x2 I want to make it a mbuna community tank but Iā€™ve read places that they need 4feet long tanks. Itā€™s 85 gallons and wondering if it would be ok ?

The tank is 3x2x2 I want to make it a mbuna community tank but Iā€™ve read places that they need 4feet long tanks. Itā€™s 85 gallons and wondering if it would be ok ?
Itā€™s a tough one - you could potentially do a colony of Saulosi in there which would look cool. Not guaranteed to work but they are quite a small species but very colourful and quite peaceful

It's a decent size, although short across the front. How it would work with the suggestions above would depend on how much planning you can put into the decor. I'd stick with the smaller species (yellow labs, I sprengerae rustys, etc) and avoid the real nasties. The tank has good front to back depth, and good height.
Back when I knew no better, I had Mbuna set ups in smaller 3 footers (55 gallon), and sold hundreds of rustys and yellow labs out of them - they were happy enough they bred like mice. I avoided larger species, and ultra-territorial ones.

Most reactions

Back