First time Brackish / salt

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Went fish collecting today in a drainage and found 3 species of Goby. Mugilogobius wilsoni,Mugilogobius stigmaticus and Mugilogobius pandakas. I am planning on doing a tank for these mainly M.wilsoni and going back this weekend to find water hardness, ph, temp and salinity as a co member of Angfa QLD has recommended me to do so. There was no coral or algae there so wanted to ask if I could use a sponge filter and use aquarium salt.
IMG_1119.png
IMG_1120.png
IMG_1117.jpeg
IMG_1121.jpeg

Why don't you test the GH, PH and salinity of the water they are in?

Yes you can use an air operated sponge filter for brackish and marine tanks.

Why don't you test the GH, PH and salinity of the water they are in?

Yes you can use an air operated sponge filter for brackish and marine tanks.
Will do. I found them living peacefully with other of its kind do you think a group of 15-20 would be ok in a tank as that’s what around the numbers I saw them in at a time?

I don't know the species but most gobies are sociable as long as they have enough room for each male to have his little area. Normally male gobies have an area about 1 foot square, sometimes more depending on species. But small species should be ok in a smaller area. That might change when they mature (assuming they aren't already adults).

I don't know the species but most gobies are sociable as long as they have enough room for each male to have his little area. Normally male gobies have an area about 1 foot square, sometimes more depending on species. But small species should be ok in a smaller area. That might change when they mature (assuming they aren't already adults).
Yeah I think I’ll most likely try to go for 2 males 3 females as brood stock.

This is very interesting . This forum has members in countries where collecting is possible but I think this is the first post of its kind that I’ve seen here . Please update us with your observations and the state of these fish . Your pictures are great .

This is very interesting . This forum has members in countries where collecting is possible but I think this is the first post of its kind that I’ve seen here . Please update us with your observations and the state of these fish . Your pictures are great .
I went back out today and got some more observations. Today I found none of the mugilogobius but found around 23 Pandaka lidwilli and 30+ Pseudogobius aquilonius. The gh was 443ppm and ph of 8.3. Hydro gravity was 1.017 and salinity was 21 ‰.

Most reactions

Back