Are these hengeli or espei rasboras?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TNG

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought 10 rasboras over a month ago which were supposed to be espei, but in my QT they look more like hengeli.

The first video clip. Anyone rasbora keepers who can tell what they are? You may spot 2 espei in there too, the 2 remaining from a group I bought about 2 years ago.

The 2nd clip is of the espei with spawning behaviour but no eggs have ever been produced. Any idea why? The temperature is between 23C to 25C, GH no higher than 4 and pH approx. 7.

I find the small rasboras have low survival rate in quarantine, around 70%.

You've got some hengels rasboras there, 100% !
I've got both species at the moment. I've had hengels since September, I'm very familiar with those now. I've never seen my hengels spar or spawn, but today I have seen both for the first time in my espei rasboras.
The easiest way to tell the two apart is that hengels are silver with two distinct stripes, one orange and one black. Espeis have a more general orange-bronze glow, with a single (black) stripe.

T. Hengeli
T. Espei
1714168960455.png
1714169047233.png

You've got some hengels rasboras there, 100% !
I've got both species at the moment. I've had hengels since September, I'm very familiar with those now. I've never seen my hengels spar or spawn, but today I have seen both for the first time in my espei rasboras.
The easiest way to tell the two apart is that hengels are silver with two distinct stripes, one orange and one black. Espeis have a more general orange-bronze glow, with a single (black) stripe.

Thanks, that’s a good way to tell them apart.
In this photo taken earlier today, I‘d say the 2nd fish from the left is an espei with the rest being hengeli.

They should spawn after reaching 1 year old. If you have them for more than 6 months then they should now reach maturity. I’d like to hear if yours spawn and you’re able to raise the fry – I have no luck.

Attachments

• Rasbora.jpg
    Rasbora.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 4

Most reactions

Back