Zebra Danio Breeding

maritzsa

Reaction score
I am looking at Zebra Danios (as well as other species for a species only tank, but I want to learn a lot about each species) to keep them in a 20 gallon long. I want to know if they will breed on their own in the main tank without my influence. I will be feeding them live food + flakes, frozen brineshrimp, Hikari tropical ones etc. Like is their anything specific that makes them breed or will they breed on their own easily.

Danios need a cooling off period and then slightly warmer water to get breeding. If they are kept in constantly warm water, the females eventually become egg bound and stop breeding.

Fish like zebra danios should be kept in tanks with a water temperature around 16-18C and let it go up in spring and summer, then come back down in autumn and winter.

If you want them to spawn just make sure you have a lot of plant like Cabomba or Hornwort. Then give your tank a water change, 25% with cold water, that will lower the temperature by around 4 degrees which is enough to induce spawning.

Danios need a cooling off period and then slightly warmer water to get breeding. If they are kept in constantly warm water, the females eventually become egg bound and stop breeding.

Fish like zebra danios should be kept in tanks with a water temperature around 16-18C and let it go up in spring and summer, then come back down in autumn and winter.
So 64F which is essentially non heater in Summer seasons and heating in winter seasons. Interesting thank you!

Also side note, how many zebras do u think is good for 20gal? some say 6 some say 12 im a bit confused. I will add them in pairs most likely to slowly mature the tank and let the bacteria colony grow.

I don't know what the dimensions of a 20g tank are?

There is no point adding 1pr at a time because they need to be kept in groups. If they are going into a new tank without an established filter, add 6-10 (if the tank is big enough) and keep the feeding down for the first month. You can add some liquid filter bacteria supplement and a heap of live plants and let it run.

I don't know what the dimensions of a 20g tank are?

There is no point adding 1pr at a time because they need to be kept in groups. If they are going into a new tank without an established filter, add 6-10 (if the tank is big enough) and keep the feeding down for the first month. You can add some liquid filter bacteria supplement and a heap of live plants and let it run.
20G is 75L tank. And I was thinking I can add like 3 in the first week while using bacteria supplement and plants, then 3 more and keep increasing. Or keep 3 for a week or two then add 7-8 more. I am aiming for like 11-12 fish

If you have danios in with moss they will breed..... I just put a batch in a 10 gallon a while ago and a female danio, land glow danio male and a leopard long fin got frisky.... I decided to let them grow....the fry are the most beautiful danios I every seen. Few are regular zebras, some leopards, orange ones that look like daddy, couple white ones, ones that have dark zebra markings but orange tinge to them, blue ones, blue ones with zebra lining (not many but it's a interesting colour...( I will post one picture here bit more on my message

Attachments

• 16300670119287535208624108307084.jpg
    16300670119287535208624108307084.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 45
20G is 75L tank. And I was thinking I can add like 3 in the first week while using bacteria supplement and plants, then 3 more and keep increasing. Or keep 3 for a week or two then add 7-8 more. I am aiming for like 11-12 fish
Colin was wondering what the tanks measurements are. Danios like a long tank as they’re very active swimmers and love to charge around the tank at speed. Possibly more than any other popular fish?

Colin was wondering what the tanks measurements are. Danios like a long tank as they’re very active swimmers and love to charge around the tank at speed. Possibly more than any other popular fish?
A 20 Gallon Long is 30 inches or 76cm long. The height and depth is 13 inches or 33cm

If you have danios in with moss they will breed..... I just put a batch in a 10 gallon a while ago and a female danio, land glow danio male and a leopard long fin got frisky.... I decided to let them grow....the fry are the most beautiful danios I every seen. Few are regular zebras, some leopards, orange ones that look like daddy, couple white ones, ones that have dark zebra markings but orange tinge to them, blue ones, blue ones with zebra lining (not many but it's a interesting colour...( I will post one picture here bit more on my message
They look beautiful. I really love the look of Zebra Danios. They remind me of a common fish that I used to catch and see back in Turkey as a kid. Thats why I want to keep them. I just wanted to make sure they dont breed as fast or easily as platys or guppies because I won’t be able to keep up with them while dealing with College!

zebra danios will breed on their own/ group if given the chance the adults will eat the eggs and there fry So the percentage rate would be very low.

For great success separate male and females for up to 2 weeks feed them a good quality flake food and live foods if available.

zebra danios are not too fussy about food, water conditions, temperature, they can be kept in unheated tanks, they do well and will spawn when kept at 21 celsius

When fish are in best condition and ready to spawn they can be placed in prepared tank I prefer to use a 18” x 12” a water depth of 4" grow out tank) I prepare their tank late in the evening I add boiled water to bring temperature up to 25 Celsius and add one pair they usually spawn the following morning/day one single female can produce more than 700 eggs although not all eggs will hatch

3 methods of saving eggs/fry All work well by using marbles , a mesh, or plants

Most reactions

Back