Zebra Danio Anti Social?

Owen386

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for a little advice for a new fish keeper. Recently went through the ordeal IMO of the fish less cycle, recently purchased 3 long fin zebra Danios After 5 days of DBL 00`s. Now my problem is two of fish shoal like crazy, play with each other, eat together etc. etc. but the third one just chills in the front left bottom of the tank! The other ones even go over to him every once in a while and nudge him out to play/shoal etc.... and yet he always returns back to his corner. Whats the deal does he just want to be by himself? is he sick? pregnant? protecting babies? I have no idea. I`m afraid he has not been eating either as he seems almost afraid or something to come out always stays in his little invisible 2x2 square of water. He seems healthy in appearance and I have seen him swim around with others on rare occasions. Help Please

-Owen

You don't have enough fish for an actual shoal. The two are most likely picking on the third. Schools are a minimum of 6 fish, and ideally 12-15+ fish.

You fishless cycled, you completed it in the end? So you should have stocked full stocking once it was done..

What size is your tank?

Danios really need to be kept in larger numbers so as to avoid the problems you`re experiencing. If you can I would advise you to add at least another 3 :)

What size is your tank?

Danios really need to be kept in larger numbers so as to avoid the problems you`re experiencing. If you can I would advise you to add at least another 3 :)

The Tank is 20 Gal. I Know they should be kept in bigger groups but as my tank is still very new I was nervous buying six fish at once maybe little to cautious?

What size is your tank?

The Tank is 20 Gal. I Know they should be kept in bigger groups but as my tank is still very new I was nervous buying six fish at once maybe little to cautious?

Well you had the best intentions ;)

Add another 3 danios but if you`re worried about the water quality just test daily or on alternate days to put your mind at rest but you`ll find it`ll be fine. I can`t and won`t argue with Kitty Kat`s advice on the stocking of your tank because I don`t know for certain, but I was always led to believe that stocking should be done slowly once a tank has newly cycled, I guess lots of people do lots of things in different ways when it comes to keeping fish but I really can`t see another 3 fish being enough of a difference to the bioload for you to worry about :lol:

You don't have enough fish for an actual shoal. The two are most likely picking on the third. Schools are a minimum of 6 fish, and ideally 12-15+ fish.

You fishless cycled, you completed it in the end? So you should have stocked full stocking once it was done..

Yeah Sorry I have Not got back to that thread I was doing something stupid that was skewing my test results and did not feel like talking about it LOL Figured it out like a like a week ago and realized I was already presumably Cycled so I waited and Waited and Waited and all good in the hood so got the fish cpl days ago.
edit: there not so much picking on him IMO but trying to be friends with him and hes not having it! LOL
-Owen

Fish don't do "lets be friends", if you do feel unsure about stocking, just add one or two fish per week, but definitely try to get those numbers up to 6-8 or so.

Fish don't do "lets be friends", if you do feel unsure about stocking, just add one or two fish per week, but definitely try to get those numbers up to 6-8 or so.

That`s What My Plans Are. Just Taking It Slow As This Is My First Tank Thanks. So your telling me there just picking on him and hes scared to come out of the corner where he is covered by bush? That`s it? And they should group up when more are added?

-Owen

What's happening is; your fish are acting how they've evolved to.

They would normally live in huge shoals of hundreds; maybe even thousands in the wild. Any fish that is old or sick will either make a very poor mate (ei, not be able to pass on healthy genes to its offspring) or will attract predators to the group by lagging behind or otherwise drawing attention to itself.

The healthy meembers of the group will pick and peck at all the other fish; in that way any unhealthy specimens will soon be killed off and no longer be available for mating or to attract predators. This helps keep the whole shoal fit and healthy.

When this is in the huge wild groups, no fish gets picked on very often or for very long because there are so many other identical fish around, but in our tanks, with few individuals, it's very easy for one fish to get too much attention from the others.

Hope that helps you understand why your fish are behaving the way they are and why some fish need to be in shoals :)

That pretty much is it, yes.. when there are more fish, the dominant fish will spread their aggression over many individuals, rather than just the one. That way, no single one is picked on.

That pretty much is it, yes.. when there are more fish, the dominant fish will spread their aggression over many individuals, rather than just the one. That way, no single one is picked on.

Hah! Wish I could have said it as neatly as that!

(I've had a couple of pints of cider; I always waffle when I'm drinking :blush: )

/me wants a couple of pints of cider.

Sweeeet! Thanks Will maybe..... get some this weekend if not by next thanks!

-Owen

What's happening is; your fish are acting how they've evolved to.

They would normally live in huge shoals of hundreds; maybe even thousands in the wild. Any fish that is old or sick will either make a very poor mate (ei, not be able to pass on healthy genes to its offspring) or will attract predators to the group by lagging behind or otherwise drawing attention to itself.

The healthy meembers of the group will pick and peck at all the other fish; in that way any unhealthy specimens will soon be killed off and no longer be available for mating or to attract predators. This helps keep the whole shoal fit and healthy.

When this is in the huge wild groups, no fish gets picked on very often or for very long because there are so many other identical fish around, but in our tanks, with few individuals, it's very easy for one fish to get too much attention from the others.

Hope that helps you understand why your fish are behaving the way they are and why some fish need to be in shoals :)

This is about as well said as anywhere I've read. 100% accurate too.

Most reactions

Back