Your Favorite Schooling Tetra?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mitchie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I'm looking to add a school of tetras in my 30 gallon. I've already got 7 rasboras that form a nice school and I would enjoy adding another school of a tetra...of similiar size.

I've thought about red eyed tetras, but they can get a little too big for a school in my tank. I'm looking for a tetra that will stay under three inches and I've already ruled out neon tetras, black neons, cardinals, and glow lights.

Remember I want a small school that will swim in a close school.

Thanks!

Hi.

I find rummy nose tetras stick together in the tightest school. Out of all the tetras i have they stick together more often than the others.

Emma :)

Well my lfs dont have rummy noses, so i picked up 5 blood fins. They keep a very tight school and i enjoy them a lot. However, the addition of the blood fins has brought confusion to the rasboras, as now, they do not keep a tight school and will often mix with the bloodfins. I still enjoy both though!

i preferr to go for the classic neon or cardinal tetra, but i have found that my neon black tetras are very pretty. but im going for rummy nose tetras also, if my local fish store had a school i would buy 10 right there!

the calssic cardinals

rummy nose

and black neon tetras

those are my favorite ....

Well I will make a list of my favorite Tetras. Bloodfin Tetra, Flametail Tetra, Ruby Tetra, Silvertip Tetra, True Rummynose Tetra, Columbian Red and Blue Tetra, Neon Tetra, and Cardinal Tetra.

Now let me make a list for all the Tetras I can think of that are 3 inches or smaller. Bloodfin Tetra, Flametail tetra, Ruby Tetra, Black Tetra, Silvertip Tetra, True Rummynose Tetra, Glowlight Tetra, Head-and Tail Tetra, Columbian Red and Blue Tetra, Serpae Tetra, Bleeding-Heart Tetra, Flame Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, Flag Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Peruvian Tetra, Red Phantom Tetra, Royal Tetra, Diamond Tetra, Redeye Tetra, Emperor Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Neon Tetra, Green Neon Tetra, False Rummynose Tetra, X-ray Tetra, and Penguin Tetra. Mitch hope this list helped you chose of all Tetras 3 inches or smaller.

Hah! - Rafael - you didn't include the Blue Emperor Tetra - my favourite :lol:

They're really pretty and they look spectacular when they are shoaling - but they don't shoal much - nothing much scares them - but they do get together when they are excited. They also swim about a lot and they play fight (bit like danios).

I'm currently doing a one woman promotion of these fishes :D

Inpaichthys kerri
BluEmpTiny.jpg

Hah! - Rafael - you didn't include the Blue Emperor Tetra - my favourite :lol:

They're really pretty and they look spectacular when they are shoaling - but they don't shoal much - nothing much scares them - but they do get together when they are excited. They also swim about a lot and they play fight (bit like danios).

I'm currently doing a one woman promotion of these fishes :D

Inpaichthys kerri
BluEmpTiny.jpg
Hey I think I mentioned enough :lol:

My gold tetras are a beautiful vivid yellow, rivaling my honey gouramis, and stay in a nice school.

I have 5 Serpae Tetra and they look really nice when they are togther. I caught them chasing each other in a line the other day which looked very comical. :D

Rich

Most reactions

Back